Muscle relaxer?

Justin Pressley

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
Are there any over the counter muscle relaxers that work, my back has been tight for so long and im wondering if you guys could recommend something that might help with that, like if someone is laying on me in the side mount it KILLS my back I know its supposed 2 hurt but not like this, also if I try to lift heavy iobjects it hurts *Im lifting right, its just my muscle are so tight my doc gave me something for it but its gonna cost me 190$ so Im not getting it, anyone got some suggestions. Thanks

Have you been taking Ibuprofen?

How about a deep tissue massage. If you have a massage school close to you they can be relatively cheap....like $10 for 1/2 hour. I know that might be a bit...wimpy for you guys, but I think they are da bomb when you have muscle tightness and knots.

Inversion boots. My back used to kill until I got them. Now if I ever feel it start to get stiff I just hand upsidedown for a mins or so and stretch out the lower back. I used to have to take ibuprofen to fall asleep until I got these. One thing, I got some cheap ones off ebay for like 50 bucks. In hindsight I think I'd rather spend twice as much or more and get really good ones as I use them all the time.

Girljock is right with the deep tissue massage, that should also help. If you are concerned about the macho-ness of it, make sure to get a female massager as to limit the homosexuality of it. Also I would avoid all soy sources that day for sure... make it avoid all soy for the week if they only have men.

To be honest, if they offered them that cheap at my school (at least 25-30 bucks a 1/2 hour, 50 for an hour by me) I would get them much more often. Being a student they are too expensive.

Kava Kava I'd assume to work since much literature says it is a mild sedative, but I have never had any effects from it except a numb tounge. Valarian will probably help you sleep and might help a bit with the pain but I wouldn't take it during the day since it will probably make you tired.

For now you can lay on your back with your feet up on a chair, knees and hips both bent 90 degrees. This will help stretch your lower back. Also have one leg straight, the other bend it up and pull your knee into your stomach. Then do the other leg. Look up lower back stretches online, they have a lot.

Chad Hamilton said:
I have an inversion table from '86.

How much do you like it? I only used one inverstion table, but I was drunk and we were just messing around. I don't remember at all how my back felt.

One main thing I like about hanging upside down is I twist and that feels amazing for my back. With a table I would assume you cannot twist. Being younger and relatively fit I have no fear of not being able to get out of my boots, a luxury that many older people do not have. Do you think for someone who is older, or doesn't have a pullup bar the table is a viable option? Have you ever used the boots? Give me all the pros and cons and whatnot. Thanks a lot man.

if its bad, go to a doc and get some flexorills. idk about OTC.

Ive got a massage b4 and they told me my back muscles were really tight Ive been saying forever I need to get one, so I guess I will just go and have it done, and ya it cost like 30 bucks for half an hour and man oh man I can not sleep at night such shitty sleeping so I will check into all this, and I did go to the docs and he gave me skalactin but its gonna cost me like $180 to get it filled so im gonna pass on that for now. Anyways thanks all.

heard about negative effects from long term kava use... i'd probably shy away from it.

in some states, medical cannabis can be recommended by a doctor, heard it works great too.

Oh also I think I should say that its my upper back muschles that are killing me not my lower, when I was little I tore my back muscles swinging a bat I dunno how I did it but I did.

Ringmaster316 said:
Oh also I think I should say that its my upper back muschles that are killing me not my lower, when I was little I tore my back muscles swinging a bat I dunno how I did it but I did.

If that's the source of the problem: have you ever received (or considered getting) physical therapy?

never received it, I mean when I was a kid it was like 8 years ago or something but my back hasnt been all to great since then, Im gonna try the massages and stuff and see how it works out, but right now it kinda feels like I pulled my muscle, when I bend over or try to get up (or roll for CSW) I lose my breath and its hard 2 breath because of my back it seems like it tightens up and squeezes the breath out of me. I mean I know im stupid because im doing this and have no insurance but ya im stupid.

Rjkd12 said:
How much do you like it? I only used one inverstion table, but I was drunk and we were just messing around. I don't remember at all how my back felt.

One main thing I like about hanging upside down is I twist and that feels amazing for my back. With a table I would assume you cannot twist. Being younger and relatively fit I have no fear of not being able to get out of my boots, a luxury that many older people do not have. Do you think for someone who is older, or doesn't have a pullup bar the table is a viable option? Have you ever used the boots? Give me all the pros and cons and whatnot. Thanks a lot man.

Well, being that it's from '86 the ankle supports seem to feel as if they are ripping my ankles out of socket.
But besides that, I like it.

Back