Muscle power that matters

Brooklyn BJJ

CW
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know there is weight lifting page, but this is more of a grappler topic.

What muscles matter and why? For example

Tricep over bicep as you use tricep way more then a bicep when you grapple.

Upper back is important, etc.

everything man, gotta think of the body as one whole piece, not bits and pieces. the S&P page has a TON of great information. the only bodypart-specific thing i would do for grappling is training grip, if you do Gi. otherwise it's full-body lifts: squats, deads, overhead presses, pullups, olympic lifts, etc.

For bjj I would say that a strong back is the most important. At least for me. I am usually in top position. A strong back helps you keep your posture.

The least important muscle would be your calves.

If you are going to weight train you should do heavy compound movements. These will develop strength through your whole body. There is no need to specifically target small muscles like biceps and triceps. They will get plenty of work from your compound movements.

If you are using your triceps more than your biceps, you are doing it wrong.

I can see why you say tricip is more important, if you are constantly on your back trying to avoid people passing your guard (pushing them constantly while escaping your hips), but bicipe helps you:

guilhotine
brabo choke
anaconda
cross choke (and many other chokes)
rnc
pull the oponets kimono when exchanging throws
helps your grip strength
helps your over hunder control
etc...

so I would say it is (at least) as important as your tricipe.

As for important exercises for BJJ like Jstorm said, I find it helps to squat a lot, military press as well, but all basic movements helped for me.. I feel that a bit of variety in my workout helps me a lot, don't stick to the same program for too long

Like kimurense said, your pushing muscles work when you are in trouble, and your pulling muscles work when you are in control. Even when my guard is in danger of being passed, I am stiff-arming so that I can hip out more than actively pushing. Similarly, if you are pushing opponents away from you using arm extension when you are mounted or in side control, bad things are going to happen to your arm.

For bjj I would say that a strong back is the most important. At least for me. I am usually in top position. A strong back helps you keep your posture.

The least important muscle would be your calves.

If you are going to weight train you should do heavy compound movements. These will develop strength through your whole body. There is no need to specifically target small muscles like biceps and triceps. They will get plenty of work from your compound movements.

I agree that your back muscles are important for good posture. Watch out for the typical bjj warm up with lots of push ups and sit ups. That over develops your front half. I've been working on my posterior chain (back, glutes, hamstrings, and calves)

Calves are important when pushing away, staying on your toes in side control, and finishing the triangle.

Rock climbing is really helping my grip. My hands, wrists and forearms are getting a great work out.

It's all about functional strength, but a strong core is easily the most important IMO.

Go to the FAQ in the S&P and try one of the basic workouts like the 5x5. Strength for grappling is not magically different, but you might want to do something extra for you grip strength.

Just don't go waste time with machines and curls... you won't get very strong, and you'll neglect the amazingly important core strength.

i also find calves are important when keeping your ankles locked in closed guard.

Good point. Also strong calves will help you avoid knee injuries. I've been walking/hiking using The Vibram 5 finger shoe. (Basically barefooting) This has helped develop my feet/toe muscles.

My shins feel stronger and my posture is better.

link...

Vibram Five Fingers: Discover the Barefooting Alternative

I bought a pair of the KSO's.

The biceps and back muscles are used for pulling, the triceps, shoulders and chest generally used for pushing.

Im no grappling expert but I would assume youd need more pulling than pushing strength on the mats especially when using the Gi.

Good point. Also strong calves will help you avoid knee injuries. I've been walking/hiking using The Vibram 5 finger shoe. (Basically barefooting) This has helped develop my feet/toe muscles.

My shins feel stronger and my posture is better.

link...

Vibram Five Fingers: Discover the Barefooting Alternative

I bought a pair of the KSO's.

Those shoes are pretty interesting. I might have to check out a pair. What type of situations do you wear them? Walking around town (On concrete). Is their any cushioning at all in them? Thanks!

Those shoes are pretty interesting. I might have to check out a pair. What type of situations do you wear them? Walking around town (On concrete). Is their any cushioning at all in them? Thanks!

Light hiking/running/sprinting. I just did some hill sprints yesterday. It felt great. I love them so far. I'm not feeling any pain.

Concrete not so much, I would think.

I would say :

-Abs
-Lower Back

Then : shoulders.

Do olympic lifts. I believe wrestling olympic teams all around the world use alot of those.

Back