Muscle grappling?

D

Dominic Kihlstrand

I had this thought, and it seemed to work, for the little bit that ive done it. I dont do it often, but if other people think its a good idea, ill do it much more.

What I did once in a while was grab a partner around my size and strength and tell him whats up, "Hey, I want to get grapple just for getting stronger, will you train with me?"

What I did was both of us would use VERY little technique, maybe an underhook for escaping sidecontrol, or an upa, but anyway...We would grapple as hard as we could. We would go 110% strength 5% technique. No submissions, all we worked for was positions. When someone achieved mount, he tried to force his way to the back. Once someone got the back, we started over. But escapes were like, pushing a guy off of you and quickly rolling out. Or grabbing his hips and throwing him off of mount. We never slam each other, because thats just kinda rude.

What do you guys think? Would this give you grappling functional strength?

I know what you mean. This could be good as a side training. It could help your explosivity and even your cardio but I would rather spar with technique and work on my strenght cardio on the side.( lifting and running)

yeah yeah I dont mean training all the time. I would just use it for a helper to strength training.

Sounds like a good workout & the way new people spar.

Maybe I misunderstood you, but I imagine it would create too many bad habits, sparring with purposely no technique..

Now if you ment use technique, but with it use speed/power ect.. to help (which doesn't necessarily mean you have to give up technique, just use speed/power when needed to escape position) I believe that would be a great training aid.. It'll improve your cardio, strength, apply position and setting up subs in a realistic setting (In the ring or a tourny with timelimits as I'm sure you know the guy isn't likely to be using technique alone when the fight/match hits the ground) personally I've never liked the belief of never getting tired rolling, and not using speed/power. It is a good asset and while you should, on smaller training partners, try to just use technique you should also train to your full competition potential with a guy stronger or as strong as you.

Sounds like you're trying to wrestle.

I do this all the time..I have freinds that are way larger than me and we do the same thing..they know little to no BJJ but they have wrestled and know positions..Its a great workout..increases your gas quite a bit

Sounds like a good work out, i had to try today

I think if done too often it will give you bad habits unconciously.. If you want to work out, use traditional excercises.

as someone trying to iron out my bad habits. id have to say the nayno to this. i do see, however, how this could help with explosiveness or rolling w/ heavier people.

John O'Brien said:
I think if done too often it will give you bad habits unconciously.. If you want to work out, use traditional excercises.

Just need to get someone with a good wrestling back ground..BJJ sparring partners are hard to come by sometimes so i use some of my big muscle bound freinds

I was thinking of getting myself really tired from this workout. After my body was worn and in pain, then working on technique. Ive never had too many problems with using strength to get out of positions unless I just wanted out. Like alot of the guys at my school that are the most techniqual are lighter guys (lighter meaning 140-190), and the techniqual guys are the ones I mostly like to work with (Ill toss in an angry wrestler once in a while :wink: ) . I never like to power stuff with the lighter guys because I dont learn anything, exept that I'm stronger than they are. Its the technique I look for. So I could grab a bigger guy and just wrestle, look for a pin, I'll give that a shot.

Examples of what I do. A guy has me in side control, ill use just my arms to pick him up and roll him over to the other side. Made me pretty strong in the armular region.

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
I was thinking of getting myself really tired from this workout. After my body was worn and in pain, then working on technique. Ive never had too many problems with using strength to get out of positions unless I just wanted out. Like alot of the guys at my school that are the most techniqual are lighter guys (lighter meaning 140-190), and the techniqual guys are the ones I mostly like to work with (Ill toss in an angry wrestler once in a while :wink: ) . I never like to power stuff with the lighter guys because I dont learn anything, exept that I'm stronger than they are. Its the technique I look for. So I could grab a bigger guy and just wrestle, look for a pin, I'll give that a shot.

Examples of what I do. A guy has me in side control, ill use just my arms to pick him up and roll him over to the other side. Made me pretty strong in the armular region.

Yea..and i do kind of the same thing..Just increasing my stamina and strength..I usually do this after Im done with Muay thai..Just a good capper on my workout overall.

Enron Exec. said:
Technique > Strength
just strengthen your technique

Do you know what were talking about? Im not talking about powering into and out of moves, im talking about grappling for endurence and cardio, as a side workout. I already know how to improve my technique, its my strength that has trouble.

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
Do you know what were talking about? Im not talking about powering into and out of moves, im talking about grappling for endurence and cardio, as a side workout. I already know how to improve my technique, its my strength that has trouble.

Ya I know what you are talkin about but you are talking about using less technique which is retarded. We call it specific training in our class. Just start with your partner in your side control and sprint to buck him off using the proper technique or do the shrimp. when you reposition start again same place. Do this for all scenarios. We do this it works awesome but the thing is you have to use technique as well. And I mean focus on it.

Enron Exec. said:
Ya I know what you are talkin about but you are talking about using less technique which is retarded. We call it specific training in our class. Just start with your partner in your side control and sprint to buck him off using the proper technique or do the shrimp. when you reposition start again same place. Do this for all scenarios. We do this it works awesome but the thing is you have to use technique as well. And I mean focus on it.

Gotcha. :cool: :cool: :cool:

FiendishOne said:
Maybe I misunderstood you, but I imagine it would create too many bad habits, sparring with purposely no technique..

Now if you ment use technique, but with it use speed/power ect.. to help (which doesn't necessarily mean you have to give up technique, just use speed/power when needed to escape position) I believe that would be a great training aid.. It'll improve your cardio, strength, apply position and setting up subs in a realistic setting (In the ring or a tourny with timelimits as I'm sure you know the guy isn't likely to be using technique alone when the fight/match hits the ground) personally I've never liked the belief of never getting tired rolling, and not using speed/power. It is a good asset and while you should, on smaller training partners, try to just use technique you should also train to your full competition potential with a guy stronger or as strong as you.

agree just do wrestling instead. this type of sparring can lead to bad habbits-and ur gonna get caught by someone better or even bigger--- u can still drill ur postions full power tho

mat time is all cardio and technique. i just see this as cadio and the technique you're working is positioning and control.

strength is in the weightroom if he's looking for it. sure wrestling around will make you stronger than if you do nothing, but strength is built in the weightroom.

i think i did that in high school, what was the name of that ?? oh yeah WRESTLING.

Back