Opinion Murica would be safer if they start introducing psychological tests before you can buy a gun

Mentally ill people are not the ones committing gun violence.

Anyone who would willingly kill commit mass murder has mental health issues . . . others are just pure evil criminals who don't value anything other than themselves.

Then I won't dance around either.

I won't be participating in any registries.

It's no ones business but my own if I own firearms, how many, what kind, or even where they are.

This is one stance in which I will not compromise.

Luckily for me, tens of millions of Patriotic Americans will do exactly the same.

This. So much this. Bravo.

Theres one simple problem with psychological tests or tests of any kind outside of basic gun safety for gun ownership. That problem is this: who gets to decide what constitute crazy?

Maryland passed a gun law that basically says if you feel someone is a threat or a "red flag" then you can call the police and the police are obligated to come confiscate your weapons until they know you are "safe" or sane. Well, you know how everytime you see these arguments the gun owners always say "over my dead body", civil war, etc.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018...take-his-guns-under-red-flag-confiscation-law

If you tell an average American about scrapping the 2nd amendment they will go apeshit. So we dont want to do that.

What instead should be done, is psychological tests measuring mental capabilities each individual owning a gun. Not just initially but every so often, 5 or 10 years. You dont get a sane person to come out and shoot everyone 'just because'.

Surely, this method wont prevent occurrences like that but it definitely greatly reduce it.

Can people lie and get around those?

Can people lie and get around those?
Take my MIL, she’s certifiably insane, medicated, the whole 9 yards; she passes psych evals on the regular, did it multiple times before someone called BS and delved deaper.

What requiring an eval will do (after I’m sure the gov carves out the proper protections from HIPAA) is check your history for any kind of anxiety, ADD or depression medication and deny you based on that alone.

We know killers can get around polygraphs, psych evals aren’t hard to “fall thru the cracks on” it isn’t pass/fail, give the right answers and they let you thru.

Back