Muhamma Ali vs. Wilt Chamberlain

jazzmatazz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I never heard about this possibility back in the day. It's a huge difference in size, but after watching Shaq in the ring with DLH, I think he actually won it and did a good job. I think it's much harder for a much shorter boxer to counter the length of a strong boxer with decent talent. Now, being how Ali is a different beast, I want to say he would have taken it somehow, but what do you guys think? I thought you guys might have covered this already, but didn't find anything in the search.
What do you think?

Wilt was a hell of an athlete, but fighting is different. I think he would've lost.

DLH and Shaq too much size difference, that's why Shaq was able to bull rush him at times.

As you go up weight matters less, 10 lb difference at WW does not mean the same thing at HW.

Ali would have murdered Wilt, ballplayer vs pro HW boxer in Boxing, who do you think will win.

Don't see how this is up for any debate.

Bob arum had the contract ready to be signed by Wilt, Arum advised Ali to keep his mouth shut until the contract was signed. Once wilt showed up at the office ali yelled "timber" wilt turned pale went into another room with an advisor, came out and left. fighting ain't basketball and Wilt was not nearly the competitor that ali was. Ali, in his prime, the greatest heavyweight ever? with the best defense? Not even a contest, it would have been a spectacle.

DLH and Shaq too much size difference, that's why Shaq was able to bull rush him at times.

As you go up weight matters less, 10 lb difference at WW does not mean the same thing at HW.

Ali would have murdered Wilt, ballplayer vs pro HW boxer in Boxing, who do you think will win.

Don't see how this is up for any debate.
Yea, I hear ya. did you see him fight Sugar Shane tonight? It's been awhile since I saw the DLH gimmick, but thought that was much more entertaining than tonight.

I guess at least Wilt would probably get laid between each round.

i saw that before, wonder which version was true. Also, Brown was much more macho as a young man, wrote more boldly of his chances against ali.

Shame on Wilt Chamberlain for disrespecting Ali and his sport. To even think he could be THE man without ever lacing up the gloves before shows not only disrespect but ignorance of the highest order.

It's a real pity the 'fight' never took place. Ali would have gone out of his way to humiliate him before putting him out cold. The beauty of boxing is that when one loses and suffers the humiliation and loss of pride, it is not just mental like in other sports, but oh so brutally humiliating and degrading in a tangible, visual and physical way- the sight of being battered, bloodied, bruised, laid out on one's back, on one's hands and knees struggling to stand up in life. In this sense, boxing is extremely Darwinian and a microcosm of the struggle for life itself. Oh how I would have loved for Chamberlain to go through all that on world wide television.

At least Jim Brown acknowledges that he wouldn't have stood a chance, even if it did come in old age. In Tom Hauser's bio of Ali, he mentions a friendly sparring session between Ali and Brown (they were friends) and Brown could not lay a hand on Ali at all. Where as Ali could hit him at will. Size means nothing without skill, unless you get into extremes, say a 115lb fighter taking on an NFL lineman. Even then, there's a good chance the little un would score an easy points victory, without ever receiving a blow.

People who take boxing as lightly as what Chamberlain did in his head do not know boxing, they only see it. Shame on an 'informed' guy like Cosell making a thing about the size difference in hands and reach. The focus on the size comparison served to undermine the very nature of the sport, as if just having big hands and a longer reach on a non trained individual could negate 20+ years of skill. D**kheads! Using that laymans logic, the tallest man ever at 8ft 11" should have been the baddest man on the planet. He wasn't.

In a REAL boxing match De La Hoya would tool Shaq and Ali would cream Wilt.

Even Mosley can land on a 7 footer's chin. I'm sure Ali would have no problem reaching it.

stop with the stupid white belt threads your making it hard on everyone else who is new here.

Back