Muay Thai Training Routine (VID)

phengeng

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, just a training vid i made tonight.

i'm 5'9, 144 pounds and 20 years old. I've trained muay thai for 1 and a half years now...self-training just at home in my gym i made. Any feedback is appreciated.

I know there were no clinching, knees or elbows in the vid..so its basically kickboxing...but my training partner didn't want me to do any of knees and clinching on him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFuslXiNvKc

You got good kicks and punches chief!

Its all good hitting the pads tho, diffrent story when somebody is trying to hit you back tho!

You would prob do good in some fights with some good sparring

thanks mate.

Yea, i've done some sparring. I know how different it is...technique just goes out the window when you're under pressure. Experience helps alot.

Wow props for being man enough to post yourself training

Some tips:

Try to relax a bit more on your punches, i notice you are a bit too tense. It shows in the way you hold your shoulders and your footwork. Try not to chicken wing that jab, it's not that bad though. Sharpen them up man.

I saw you throw a couple leg kicks, work on opening your hips more when you throw it. Incorporating a small step/hop before the leg kick would give you some more follow-through. Think soccer ball kick. I like how you went straight back to your stance right after throwing it.

When you work the pads, don't go in chin first when you punch. Stay tight, chin tucked, and bring the punch back to your guard just as fast as your threw it out there. Keep the motions compact and economical. I think the guy holding pads for you should give you some more resistance and be more interactive. Really make you work.

Your kicking technique looked good on the kick shield. I suggest you invest in some thai pads though, they feel a little different and are pretty much the great equalizer when it comes to determining whether you are a good kicker or a rubbish one. Not to mention the shin conditioning you will receive. Just make sure your friend learns how to properly hold thai pads. I know it is kind of hard with a karate style kick shield, but try your best to make contact with the shin.

I like how you payed attention to the hand-swing/switch in the thai kicks. Very good.

Overall, that is pretty damn good for being self-trained. I can tell you have had some previous TMA training in the past, don't even act, haha. I think it's time to join a gym bro, 1 1/2 years is a long time and you can only learn so much from online instructionals and DVDs.

You seem to have a real good attention to detail. You remind me of myself when i was a teen, i also taught myself how to box, then how to do muay thai. If your interest is that strong, then i urge you to go and train at a school. and, If your gonna keep self-training remember the importance of footwork, it will go a long way when you decide to spar one day. Footwork is important, i learned the hard way.

BTW, i like your little gym setup, it's really cozy looking. Reminds me of the Rocky movie with the brick walls and posters and stuff.

Looking good. Join a gym!

great post, surprisingly really helpful. Thanks

only martial arts i did before this was TKD when i was like 12 for 1 year maybe. Part of my Highschool program.

What i have found which helps me alot is my knowledge of physics. Martial arts...movement of your body. Things like momentum...leverage etc......using ur hips and everything.

I started bjj around 5 months ago too though...so i've got bjj classes which doesn't leave room for muay thai classes.

keep up the training and soon you'll be as fit as this 18 year old aussie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU_2vJWyh2o

lol i just found that vid on the side bar after watching yours.

EDIT: yeah i would definitely take the BJJ over muay thai classes. Seems like you have the basic techniques down anyway. have fun with the jiu jitsu, its interesting to say the least.

Great.

I can't imagine myself being self-trained. I will get bored after 3 minutes of skipping. I see you have great determination.

Your punches and kicks are very good. The detail in every technique in amazing considering that you are self-trained.

For being self trained theres definately potential there, join a gym so you will have more people to train with and a professional ironing out your problems, but not looking bad at all man, just try to be a bit lighter on ur feet

you are way too tense. Don't ball your fists when you kick. Learn to relax your hands and shoulders. Also extend your jab out more. Keep up the training and good luck!

First...seems like your trying to be fast and flashy with the punches instead of proper technique..I noticed alot of your punches not fully extending and you snapping them back before they full extend

Second...Your right leg looks good but when you switch to the front side kick your hips don't go over enough and your really confused on the footwork

Seen alot worse on here though

Hey,

First off, props for making a pretty good video. On that note, you're doing pretty damn good for being self taught. So keep that up.

Now, for some tips/advice...

Like TapSD said - footwork needs a little bit of tweaking. At first, in the mirror shot, it appears you're doing well. After that, on the focus mitts, your right foot is pretty flat and not straight. I sometimes have this problem, and Matee catches me with it every fucking time. Ha! I hope I don't mess up this weekend at the seminar when Samart, Saekson and Matee are all critiquing me. We'll see.

So, on that note, when standing, have your back foot up on the toes, and pointing forward toward your opponent. When throwing your right punch (if standing orthodox), rotate that back foot and hip, but try not to let it come back too far, just back to being straight.

Moving on to what RJ said. On the low kicks, definitely spring out. If you're standing there, and want to throw a right low kick, spring out past your opponent's right side. Don't bend your body in half, but rotate your shoulder over, almost as if you're pointing it toward the ground. This is going to help with power, and also when you come back from the low kick, you'll be setup perfectly for a high kick, or just be a good distance away from your opponent. You won't be back in front of him.

I like your setup for sure, I wish I had that. Also - like RJ said, get yourself some Thai Pads for sure. Don't get the huge ones either, just get some basic Fairtex Thai Pads. They will condition your legs, and you'll learn to kick a hell of a lot better. A Fairtex leg pad will also come in hand. Just make sure your partners know how to hold the pads. Jesus did I ever fuck up my foot once because of bad Thai Pad holding.

Good luck, keep the good videos (with good little tunes) coming.

i wish i could jump rope like that, lol. for being self taught, i thought you were really good and would see even more improvement by training at a place w/ many different people, keep up the good work.

First...seems like your trying to be fast and flashy with the punches instead of proper technique..I noticed alot of your punches not fully extending and you snapping them back before they full extend

Second...Your right leg looks good but when you switch to the front side kick your hips don't go over enough and your really confused on the footwork

Seen alot worse on here though

true about the punches.

i don't fully understand about the foot work though.

The 3 kick was....lead left kick, so i hardly have any room to put hips into it....meant for inside leg kick or body kick. The last kick....was a switch....then left roundhouse......the switch is basically there so my hips rotate...in position in a orthodox stance..to give more power. I need to work on the switch to get more rotation though...and more snappy, but i was pretty tired at the end of that.

Thanks for the tips.

Hey,

First off, props for making a pretty good video. On that note, you're doing pretty damn good for being self taught. So keep that up.

Like TapSD said - footwork needs a little bit of tweaking. At first, in the mirror shot, it appears you're doing well. After that, on the focus mitts, your right foot is pretty flat and not straight. I sometimes have this problem, and Matee catches me with it every fucking time. Ha! I hope I don't mess up this weekend at the seminar when Samart, Saekson and Matee are all critiquing me. We'll see.

So, on that note, when standing, have your back foot up on the toes, and pointing forward toward your opponent. When throwing your right punch (if standing orthodox), rotate that back foot and hip, but try not to let it come back too far, just back to being straight.

Moving on to what RJ said. On the low kicks, definitely spring out. If you're standing there, and want to throw a right low kick, spring out past your opponent's right side. Don't bend your body in half, but rotate your shoulder over, almost as if you're pointing it toward the ground. This is going to help with power, and also when you come back from the low kick, you'll be setup perfectly for a high kick, or just be a good distance away from your opponent. You won't be back in front of him.

I like your setup for sure, I wish I had that. Also - like RJ said, get yourself some Thai Pads for sure. Don't get the huge ones either, just get some basic Fairtex Thai Pads. They will condition your legs, and you'll learn to kick a hell of a lot better. A Fairtex leg pad will also come in hand. Just make sure your partners know how to hold the pads. Jesus did I ever fuck up my foot once because of bad Thai Pad holding.

Yea my boxing isn't as good as i'd like it to be. I lose some of the technique on mitts.....especially with feet and hips.

On the low kicks...spring out..do u mean step? I've never really thought about stepping....wouldn't it telegraph that ur about to kick? although it will close the distance well.

Yea thai pads are a good investment for sure, but i don't have many dedicated training partners...and they can't really hold pads and don't want to hold them. I'll join a gym when i can (bjj classes), i'll just keep training at home.

Thanks..ahha you like the music eh? yea nice little tune...makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

I looked at your august 2007 video and it seems you really came a long way as far as technique since then. And you have two banana bags hanging outside of your house? lucky. I have to take mine down if i want to put my car in the garage.

I looked at your august 2007 video and it seems you really came a long way as far as technique since then. And you have two banana bags hanging outside of your house? lucky. I have to take mine down if i want to put my car in the garage.

ahh yea..i make a new vid every few months. This is the 4th.

I'll upload all of them sometime..so you can see the difference in each..its pretty cool actually.

I look back now and i laugh....i bet in the future i'll look back at this vid...and see all the mistakes.

your shadow boxing looks pretty much like the beginners at my boxing gym. Lots of unnecessary and awkward movement.

Hey,

so thats where saekson is going this weekend with samart. he's always out on seminars now.

to the opening OP, looking pretty good. like what people said, fully extend those punches and slow it down a bit.

your shadow boxing looks pretty much like the beginners at my boxing gym. Lots of unnecessary and awkward movement.

yeah, too much jukin' and jivin', lol. to the OP, focus on the fundamentals when you shadowbox, go ahead and practice your defense separately if you have to. It's all about technique and fluidity.

Youv'e gotten sound advice thus far. In addition, my two cents: if space permits move around more; circle, in, out, etc. when your shadowboxing and when pad training. Of course thai pads are much more suited to this, but it can still be done with kick shields if youre partners willing to put forth the extra effort.
keep up the training and soon you'll be as fit as this 18 year old aussie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU_2vJWyh2o

lol i just found that vid on the side bar after watching yours.

Damn, did you watch some of his other fights? Its like watching good amatuer fights as opposed the usual backyard K1 stuff.

EDIT: yeah i would definitely take the BJJ over muay thai classes. Seems like you have the basic techniques down anyway. have fun with the jiu jitsu, its interesting to say the least.

Back