Muay Thai Training (becoming a man)

It doesn't sound like over training, but it sounds like you spend a lot of time training for a non professional. What exactly is it that you plan to do?

It doesn't sound like over training, but it sounds like you spend a lot of time training for a non professional. What exactly is it that you plan to do?

Thanks for the reply. Well I moved to Thailand with the plan to spend as much time as necessary, perhaps one or two years, to transform my body and lifestyle. I plan to develop habits that I continue throughout my life to maintain good health (so possibly continuing to train Muay Thai in the US, though I am more drawn to boxing long term). Along with getting lean and healthy, I superficially want to have defined abs. And while health is half of the picture, I also want the ability to defend myself if necessary.

I am less interested in the sport, more interested in getting super healthy, developing habits to bring back to the US, and knowing how to fight if I ever have to. Also abs haha

Thanks for the reply. Well I moved to Thailand with the plan to spend as much time as necessary, perhaps one or two years, to transform my body and lifestyle. I plan to develop habits that I continue throughout my life to maintain good health (so possibly continuing to train Muay Thai in the US, though I am more drawn to boxing long term). Along with getting lean and healthy, I superficially want to have defined abs. And while health is half of the picture, I also want the ability to defend myself if necessary.

I am less interested in the sport, more interested in getting super healthy, developing habits to bring back to the US, and knowing how to fight if I ever have to. Also abs haha

At the very least peel the skin off the fried chicken.

At the very least peel the skin off the fried chicken.

Haha thanks. I haven't eaten anything really fatty or unhealthy since I started dedicating myself to training, I was proposing fried chicken as the only really unhealthy thing that sounds good. But if it's entirely destructive/useless, I don't see why I would consume it. LIke if I have to take the skin off, I'd rather just eat something else haha. My question was more along the lines of, if I eat something more fatty/unhealthy, is it better to eat it on a rest day or a workout day (assuming I don't go over the calorie amount for that day)?

cant say much about your workout schedule, but your knowledge about nutrition seems to be a bit lacking. That might be a reason why you feel overtrained.

Basically, there is no such thing as an unhealthy or healthy food (oversimplification, i know, but hang in there, ill explain), it is all about what you are trying achieve.

if you were looking to get stronger/bigger, it would have been easy. Just eat massive amounts of food every day, and at least 2 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight.

But, since you are saying that you want to lose weight, while i guess you dont want to lose strength, protein is the key. Basically, stop eating rice. Start eating a lot of chicken and veggies. Chicken is one of the leanest meats you can get, so i dont know where you get the idea that it should so bad for you comes from. And fat is good for you, your not a fucking office worker that doesnt move, so dietary advice for them does no longer apply to you.

tldr: ditch the rice, eat more chicken and veggies. Your body will recover A LOT better.

cant say much about your workout schedule, but your knowledge about nutrition seems to be a bit lacking. That might be a reason why you feel overtrained.

Basically, there is no such thing as an unhealthy or healthy food (oversimplification, i know, but hang in there, ill explain), it is all about what you are trying achieve.

if you were looking to get stronger/bigger, it would have been easy. Just eat massive amounts of food every day, and at least 2 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight.

But, since you are saying that you want to lose weight, while i guess you dont want to lose strength, protein is the key. Basically, stop eating rice. Start eating a lot of chicken and veggies. Chicken is one of the leanest meats you can get, so i dont know where you get the idea that it should so bad for you comes from. And fat is good for you, your not a fucking office worker that doesnt move, so dietary advice for them does no longer apply to you.

tldr: ditch the rice, eat more chicken and veggies. Your body will recover A LOT better.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the advice. Your criticism is correct, I don't know much about nutrition. There isn't really any beef in Thailand and I don't like pork, so I end up eating chicken every day and pork once in a while. (my other primary protein sources are eggs, peanut butter, yogurt)

I don't want to argue but when you say there is no such thing as unhealthy and healthy food, isn't the fat in fried chicken just useless if you want to be lean and strong? I can understand fried chicken being part of a healthy diet when bulking, but if I am trying to loose fat and gain muscle, are you saying there is no reason to not eat fried chicken?

Honestly, 150 pounds at 5'9 isn't even that bad. In fact that's normal. I have friends who are 5'9 and 160-165 from having all the muscle. So I assume you're well balanced between muscle and fat. So cutting out all carbs is NOT a good idea.

You still need a couple of carbs a day in order to refill your glycogen instead of going through gluconeogenesis.

If you want to lose weight however if you were like 200lbs of fat and 5'9, yeah cutting out the carbs could be a good idea.

I think if you are not doing Muay Thai as a passion/professional/amateur, then 2 times a week is more than enough. With the remaining time, try running, swimming, weight lifting etc.

The reason being that MT puts a lot of stress on your body, although it is a KILLER fat burner. Running every other day and fill in the gaps with swimming every other day. Then alternate calisthenics with weight training every other day should get you results in a few months.

Remember to take protein, as someone said. Protein will be your best friend. It took me 4 months to gain 10+ pounds of muscle. Granted, I didn't have to lose fat to begin with because I was skinny as hell. It should also take you 3-4 months to gain this 10ish pounds if you follow whatever I just wrote.

Back