Muay Thai Roundhouse - Abdominal Pain?

MrRolo

White Belt
Reaction score
Recently I've noticed that I would start getting a weird pain on my right side near the lower rib cage about halfway into muay thai training. At first I thought it was just side stitch or maybe too much water right before I started. But then the next day while just walking around normally I felt a slight pain again. I continued to work out my normal schedule 3-4 times per week and I noticed I got fatigued a lot sooner than normal and the weird pain would come around immediately after warm ups (repeating alternating left/right roundhouse kicks on heavy bag).

The best way to describe the feeling is it feels exactly like side stitch (the abdominal pain/cramp you get while running) and it will eventually go away if i work through the pain. It is not intense pain but it does affect me mentally and disrupts my breathing.

Has anyone else experienced this type of pain? I associate it with Muay Thai because when I train only boxing (no kicks) I do not get the pain unless it was already there, and my non combat workouts (cardio/weights/situps/etc) do not bother me. I was not hit there directly so it was not due to any trauma.

I took a week off and it went away but low and behold, my 3rd day back training it started to come back. Do any of you think may be I'm breathing wrong during kicks? I have a bad habit of not breathing during some of my kicks and especially during combos involving kicks.

Any advise or shared experience with this is appreciated.

You're floating rib is jabbing into your lung. Don't worry, you've got another one. On a more serious note, maybe you should check with your doctor? I doubt anyone on a message board would be able to pinpoint the cause.

Last edited:
ONly things I can think of is there is a slight bruise on your lung or you tweaked some of the cartilage in your rib cage. Just take it easy, doing what you can to not aggravate it. I'd recommend seeing a doctor.

I used to get some muscle pain from swinging my arm too far to the side while doing mid/high kicks. If it's a sore muscle and you throw your arm all the way to the side during kicks, that may be it (in which case, don't throw your arm so far). If not, i agree with the above comments about a doctor.

i get the exact same pain at the same exact point in training, I just treat it as a side stitch and just belly breathe really hard and i rub liniment over the spot. It somewhat helps it really sucks though

Sooo then you're pregnant too?!

Poor kicking technique can miss align the lower spine. A miss aligned spine could shit the floating rib, or twig the nerves to the liver. The liver complaining about being bounced around is what causes a "stitch". It is also possible that your technique is so bad that your kicks rattle you own liver, possible but not really likely. Doctor always a good idea for unknown recurring pain.

Thanks for the responses. The pain did not reoccur after focusing on breathing out every time during strikes. Not sure if it truely was the reason for the pain but if it comes back a doctor will have to be my next option.

I've been getting that pain consistantly for years. It feels like a torn muscle for a fees secondas then it goes away. Damn, I think I should go to the doctors as well.

Sounds like your not breathing right during kicking/punching.

Sorry to bump but i got the exact same thing. Not really an issue to me but curious if any of yall ever went to the doctor?

Heyyyy ! Sorry for waking up this post in 2019, im having the same pain ! Did anyone find out what it really was ? Thank you !

Back