Muay Thai or Boxing

since you're doing judo, I'd go with Muay Thai, the footwork isn't as intense as boxing, and you'll be a lot more devastating on the inside with your elbows, knees, and throws.

I think I will try both and see which I prefer. I love boxing but I have strong and long legs and would love to learn how to kick properly. I just hope the club I am taking it at (LA Boxing) isn't just gonna be some trendy class with a bunch of soccer moms trying to get in shape. I am hoping to spar often.

I dont believe no1 has sed this so far. Two THings pick the one that suits you best and your prefer and #2 Pick the better Gym in your area. Its clear that MT and Boxing are the best two striking styles ( otherwise every fucker in here would argue bout somethintg else and it wouldnt be mentioned in the Forum Welcoming) Also see the K-1 forum welcome it mentions those to and KK as the main successors! So them being the best two striking arts then Non of them is going to be bad for you is it??

Some Points :

#1 The gym is very important, In my area there is a old school boxing gym, in a rough part of town, the usual thing. I know alot of people who go there and would consider two of them close friends. One started training there when he was about 15/16, before that he had been doing shootokan for 6 years but didnt consider it a proper fight. He got two blackbelt in it btw. Anyone I saw him in a street fight 3 months after starting boxing and it was just one left hook that KO'ed the guy, He was one of those that cant stop bleeding when cut and cud die yanno those ppl? Anyway that punch was scary I fucking dreamt about possing the kinda power he had I swear to anyone it was far more fierce than any hooks thrown by Frazier. And his left is he weakest hand. The second guy I no well started weight training all through a summer before going there (I think he went to become in better shape as he is vain) but after he had been there only a few months I sparred with him and he was lighting quick and packed a fucking punch.

The Muay Thai Gym in my town is a gym that isnt situated at one location it moves around from sportshall to sportshall (the same ones each week but still) It has no heavybags or anything there but they do spar and have fight nights regulary. I no a few people who go there reasonably well. One I remember coming out of a club somewere and hearing he had been in a streetfight. I also knew the guy who it was against and he was just a average untrained person. My friend who saw the fight discribed it to me and he was talking about the guy who trained in MT's hand speed and how he cut the guy but also mentioned the other guy throwing down to and he couldnt pick a winner. It disappointed me considering this guy had been training at the Muay Thai place since he was about 11/12 years old and he couldnt decisivley beat a untrained average guy. Then I was about to join this Thai boxing gym, the same day as another one of my high school friends (not particulary close friend) was joining it the same day so i backed out (Embarressed I think, incase He showed up too and the place turned out to be awful) I noticed that he didnt seem to be getting any tougher after months of training Muay Thai also and the Muay Thai had classes 5 times a week with the boxing just 2.
So even though granted that the first boxer I mentioned was tough as nails before he started trainging there he still put that guy away with boxing. And the second guy who trained weights before training definetly got tougher after joining the boxing gym.

The two who went to MT didnt seem to get any better a fighter after they joined the club so In my area it wasnt down to the style it was down to the how good the gym is in the styles in your area.

i train muay thai and bjj with submission wrestling....I like the muay thai because it gives you more weapons.As from a condtioning stand point i also feel that muay thai is better there are more muscles involed,and i know when i spar mt it takes more out of me then when i just box.Also in muay thai theres alot of work from the clinch which in itself is alot of work.I don't think that you can go wrong with either one.

Mojorisin99 said:
I have the option of doing Boxing 3 times a week or Muay Thai twice. I was going to take them both but that may be overkill (I do Judo as well) and the contrasting styles may confuse me. If you had to choose one, which would you choose and why?

This sounds like my situation. I do MT twice a week I hope to start Boxing in a few weeks though [Its three days a week] and I do Judo once a week [Once I am promoted I can do it twice a week.

I'd prefer muay thai, but I'd also consider budgt and time allotment.

Mojorisin99 said:
I am doing it to get in shape and for an intense physical workout. I would also like something that is more practical for self defense.
if yo want practical for self defnse check out this site, real high quality training, stick to the standup like thai-boxing with a goo judo bakground supplement it with kapap training and your set!!!

http://www.avinardia.com/home.html

Kamehameha said:
preference. I'm a boxer b/c i prefer to use my fists (i used to take TKD and kung fu) and its a huge sport w/ my culture so i just fell into it. Its true that MT has more weapons but in a street fight, all u need is a good pair of fists to put someone away. In the end its all about preference, a boxer or thai boxer would equally beat the shit outta some random thug, b/c 99% of the time, u wont find yourself in a fight against a trained opponent b/c fighters hardly ever start fights in my experience. We're a more humble breed than the street trash out there.

Well said my friend well said

which LA boxing are you going to, cuz if it's the one in new mexico, then there is James Martinez who is a great fighter and a shoe-in for the k-1 max, that is where I'm planning on going, good luck

Back