Muay Thai instructor giving me hard time

a9800

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Just want personal opinion

I signed up for Muay Thai for a month but been going there off and on 1 month here 3
Months there
Recently a coach /owner there would roast me when I told him I didn’t want be paired up with a partner who was a lot bigger than me. We were holding pads. I held pads for big partner and back of my forearms were all bruised up a day after

He kicked hard as he was a big guy plus he was senior student.

Other times he would show a combo and I didn’t catch all of it and he would use his fingers to flick at my head and say this isn’t your first time. Kind demeaning . You know combos have small little nuances sometimes we forgot or miss

Ofc I didn’t purposely forgot it’s just I didn’t catch all small details of the combo

He would at times call me out infront of class. Kind like roast

What’s your thoughts on this ? I think I should be treated with some respect if I’m paying good money and ontop I’m a paying clients

First Response - Upper Cuts. Talk later, Sherdoggin' Comes Now.

Just want personal opinion

I signed up for Muay Thai for a month but been going there off and on 1 month here 3
Months there
Recently a coach /owner there would roast me when I told him I didn’t want be paired up with a partner who was a lot bigger than me. We were holding pads. I held pads for big partner and back of my forearms were all bruised up a day after

He kicked hard as he was a big guy plus he was senior student.

Other times he would show a combo and I didn’t catch all of it and he would use his fingers to flick at my head and say this isn’t your first time. Kind demeaning . You know combos have small little nuances sometimes we forgot or miss

Ofc I didn’t purposely forgot it’s just I didn’t catch all small details of the combo

He would at times call me out infront of class. Kind like roast

What’s your thoughts on this ? I think I should be treated with some respect if I’m paying good money and ontop I’m a paying clients
Most people love the bruises they have after muay thai training. Not sure why you're upset about that. Fighting is about being tough and being mentally tough.
He shouldn't be calling you out in front of everyone, but honestly the best way to deal with it is to prove him wrong, he'll move onto the next newby.

Most people love the bruises they have after muay thai training. Not sure why you're upset about that. Fighting is about being tough and being mentally tough.
He shouldn't be calling you out in front of everyone, but honestly the best way to deal with it is to prove him wrong, he'll move onto the next newby.

On top of this it sounds like the coach likes you and wants you to improve so he's pushing a bit more. Different people have different ways of doing that.

He may also just want you to quit being a bitch, cause it isn't your first time.

I guess i am going against the curve here.

But it sounds like the coach doesnt care about his business or doesnt know how to run one.

im not trying to sound like a sissy. But when you step into a gym especially a competitve one there is an edge to it. Also an important part of real training is you get pushed and broken and you build yourself up again.

this doesnt mean that people need to assholes though.

1. tough love, there is nothing wrong with it, if it is given in a manner that is actually constructive. it doesnt sound like the coach is earnign his right to give tough love

2. also sounds like he isnt doing his job to teach or coach.
This^

And also it sounds that you don't know how to hold pads properly.
^here
nobody is born being able to hold pads. you should be taught how to hold pads if its to paint where the holder is getting injured i also bet there is some resntment on the other partners hand too because how you gonna get work on someone who cant hold pads.

the bottomline is if you have too unfriendly an environment it is going to deter newbies from singing up and those who do from sticking around.
while you shouldnt bend over backwards to appease students or have to hold their hands their is also an aspect of doing your due diligence as a teacher to maintain a professional environment and makesure you are actually teaching effectively.

honestly it sounds liek you should try soem other places and see if you can find something better for you

But it sounds like the coach doesnt care about his business or doesnt know how to run one.

im not trying to sound like a sissy. But when you step into a gym especially a competitve one there is an edge to it. Also an important part of real training is you get pushed and broken and you build yourself up again.

1. tough love, there is nothing wrong with it, if it is given in a manner that is actually constructive. it doesnt sound like the coach is earnign his right to give tough love

^here
nobody is born being able to hold pads. you should be taught how to hold pads if its to paint where the holder is getting injured i also bet there is some resntment on the other partners hand too because how you gonna get work on someone who cant hold pads.

the bottomline is if you have too unfriendly an environment it is going to deter newbies from singing up and those who do from sticking around.
while you shouldnt bend over backwards to appease students or have to hold their hands their is also an aspect of doing your due diligence as a teacher to maintain a professional environment and makesure you are actually teaching effectively.

honestly it sounds liek you should try soem other places and see if you can find something better for you
Yea, I mean. Problems could lay everywhere. But if it's not fitting and you feel uncomfortable to the degree you don't want to go there and doesn't feel challenged by the trainer but embarrased, search for a new place.
Maybe TS is just a pain in the ass, who knows. Maybe he's just in one of these machismo MT-Bravado gyms where everyone likes to bang.
We had trainers bullying younger folks out because they were dicks and trainers didn't want to have them around and spread toxic shit, too.

Sounds like High School Football in Texas... and taking all that practice anger out on your opponent

In Boxing and Tang Soo Do, all the beginners train their footwork obsessively until they can move and jab no problem. Old school Conor talked about training your software without damaging your hardware.

Find a striking class that puts emphasis on footwork drill and flexibility. Also people get paid to hold pads. Stop wasting your time bro and find a real trainer who can:

- Teach footwork and movement
- Hold pads and teach combinations
- Show you techniques and tactics
- Have you understand timing and distance

This is what a REAL trainer is vs some knucklehead who probably got a certification and an insurance to teach. Trust me bro, I have trained with many trainers and most trainers are not really qualified to teach. Its not your fault either and so don`t be hard on yourself.

^here

When I mentioned I didn’t want hold pads for a guy 60’lbs heavier than me he started roasting me.
In approx 5 7 160 and this guy was 6 feet 220 and he kicked hard as he’s big and a senior student .
Am I being whiny or is this justified

I find Muay Thai gyms tend to have more attitude and d bag personality types
Bjj gyms tend to have more calmer and collected
Judo gyms are I attended were more humble and calmer too

Also if you didn’t get the combo correctly or missed a small nuance in the combo he would roast me
I got bit of adhd and paying attention to everything is kind hard as my mind wonders at time and I forgot the combo he just taught or needs explaining agaib .
Im 43 and doing high intense training isn’t easy . I noticed most people who attend the class are in their early to mid 20s
Doing boxing at this gym and trial now

Let’s see

When I mentioned I didn’t want hold pads for a guy 60’lbs heavier than me he started roasting me.
In approx 5 7 160 and this guy was 6 feet 220 and he kicked hard as he’s big and a senior student .
Am I being whiny or is this justified

I find Muay Thai gyms tend to have more attitude and d bag personality types
Bjj gyms tend to have more calmer and collected
Judo gyms are I attended were more humble and calmer too

Also if you didn’t get the combo correctly or missed a small nuance in the combo he would roast me
I got bit of adhd and paying attention to everything is kind hard as my mind wonders at time and I forgot the combo he just taught or needs explaining agaib .
Im 43 and doing high intense training isn’t easy . I noticed most people who attend the class are in their early to mid 20s
Doing boxing at this gym and trial now

Let’s see
I think the nuance piece here that people are missing is that you are new to the gym and. New to the sport.

I roast my fighters constantly. It is one of the great joys of my life. But these are the members that I have a trusted rapport with. So much so that the first time I bust somebody’s balls in front of the class they look like they are sort of stoked to be a part of that club.

I would absolutely never flip shit to a new member who can’t get it right

First, bruises and dealing with someone bigger in training is a part of it. You're training for fun I assume. If you want to fight or train for self defense, you have the wrong mentality.

Second, your trainer sucks. I wonder where you're training or where your trainer is from because it could be a cultural thing as well. Explaining something once and belittling your student for not getting it is just bad instruction. I remember getting yelled at or having snide comments thrown at me because I couldn't get something right on my first day lol. Like I'm paying to get something wrong on purpose just to fuck with a martial arts coach. I quit that gym.

Third, your trainer sucks. Having beginners hold the pads is laziness. Pad holding is another skill and getting a bunch of people who are just starting is a way for a trainer to not have to work as hard.

Yeah maybe look for a different gym and try it out, if it’s not better you can always go back to your first one or look for a different one

Trainer sounds like a blowhard, i'd tell him to quit fucking with you and teach and if he doesn't find a knew place.

Does your coach have VEREFIED credentials as a former/current fighter? Albeit a successful one?
If there are no videos or eyewitness accounts of him winning fights against credible opponents then doubt everything, including other peoples chatter or online verbose.
Usually guys who grandstand like this are Frank Dux fake types.

I had a Muay Thai instructor that said he had over 300 fights. To me, a beginner, he looked legit. Later found out from another instructor that there was doubt he even had one fight. I think he was probably counting sparring sessions.

Back