• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Muay Thai Gym Q&A

Why is Chiang Mai polluted during certain, seasons? I heard they burn something. Sugarcane?

Why is Chiang Mai polluted during certain, seasons? I heard they burn something. Sugarcane?

Pretty much. They burn all the crops. Chiang Mai is basically surrounded by mountains and the air gets trapped. Makes the place pretty unlivable for a few months every year.

I'm pretty fit but I do have asthma that flairs up now and again. But I would love to train in Thai Land for 2 months next year. What gyms would be better for me to train at? Or regions.

Pretty much. They burn all the crops. Chiang Mai is basically surrounded by mountains and the air gets trapped. Makes the place pretty unlivable for a few months every year.

How would the air quality be around September?

Chiang Mai is supposedly cheaper, but if the air quality is that bad, I think I might just fork over the extra cash?

Chiang Mai is supposedly cheaper, but if the air quality is that bad, I think I might just fork over the extra cash?

You will be fine in September man.

It is only between February and April. The rest of the year the air is fine. Even during the bad months it can be decent if you get a lot of rain to clear the air.

The only month that is bad is march. And depending on the year it can be good or bad, last year was pretty bad. 2 years ago wasn't that bad.

So I'm heading to Thailand in about a week and I'm going to travel for a bit first, but then want to spend 3 months training at a gym. Based on this thread, Fight Passport, and other things, I think I have narrowed it down to Sitmonchai in Tha Maka, and Sinbi in Phuket.

I was wondering what those of you thought of the prices. Sitmonchai is on the higher end at 30,000 thb, but this includes accommodation at the gym, 2-bed shared A/C room, 2 meals, laundry, internet, and motorbike use, according to their website.

Sinbi is 21,000 for a 2-bed shared room and nothing else. In the end, the cost seems like it might be negligible when all is said and done.

Anyone have experience at either gym (or better yet, both) and have any thoughts on the value of the training and the locations (island vs. mainland)?? Thanks y'all.

So I'm heading to Thailand in about a week and I'm going to travel for a bit first, but then want to spend 3 months training at a gym. Based on this thread, Fight Passport, and other things, I think I have narrowed it down to Sitmonchai in Tha Maka, and Sinbi in Phuket.

I was wondering what those of you thought of the prices. Sitmonchai is on the higher end at 30,000 thb, but this includes accommodation at the gym, 2-bed shared A/C room, 2 meals, laundry, internet, and motorbike use, according to their website.

Sinbi is 21,000 for a 2-bed shared room and nothing else. In the end, the cost seems like it might be negligible when all is said and done.

Anyone have experience at either gym (or better yet, both) and have any thoughts on the value of the training and the locations (island vs. mainland)?? Thanks y'all.

I haven't been to Sitmonchai but I will later this year. I have been to Kanchanaburi about 10 times though. Cheap cost of living, amazing scenery, great people, but not much to do. Even though the training is more expensive there than Sinbi, you will still spend less money in my opinion. If you have some time off you can check out some of the waterfalls,lakes,rivers,mountains,caves etc in the area.

Phuket is fairly expensive, but the biggest difference is the amount of distractions and things to do. Pretty easy to get sucked into the bars and partying when every night feels like a new years eve down at Bangla. Also a more touristy area of Thailand. Completely different vibe.

Both great gyms though.

Have trained at Sinbi and WMC Samui, and now thinking of trying out Phuket Top Team.
Has anyone from here trained there before, and want to share their experience?
I'm also interested in knowing about outside accommodation away from the camp but nothing to far ( within walking distance)

Thanks...

If you want to go to Sitmonchai, check with them before you leave. They have a limit on the number of farang.

If you go to Sinbi, don't stay at the gym. The rooms are overpriced. You can find single accommodation in the area for the same price, if not less.

If you go to Sinbi, don't stay at the gym. The rooms are overpriced. You can find single accommodation in the area for the same price, if not less.

I stayed at Sinbi and thought the rooms were very good (i stayed in a private room, WIFI, cable tv, fridge, plenty of space), and it was very convenient staying at the gym, having my room 20 yards from the ring!

Yes they are expensive by Thai standards, but if that isn't an issue, then i'd stay on the gym for the convenience, and the quality of the rooms...

How much is cheap monthly accommodation near Sinbi with WIFI?

I stayed at Sinbi and thought the rooms were very good (i stayed in a private room, WIFI, cable tv, fridge, plenty of space), and it was very convenient staying at the gym, having my room 20 yards from the ring!

Yes they are expensive by Thai standards, but if that isn't an issue, then i'd stay on the gym for the convenience, and the quality of the rooms...

The rooms do appear to be pretty nice and of course you can't beat the convenience of staying at the gym, but you're really paying for that convenience. If it's important for you to stay at the gym, of course that's your best option.

Phuket Riviera Villas are just down the street a bit (just a couple minutes walk) and you can get a room for 1,000 baht a night there (22,000 a month). But that is during low season. But there's also a pool. Green Valley is 850 a night during low season. There's a pool there, as well. I've never stayed anywhere that didn't include WIFI, cable, and a fridge.

Hey guys:

I'm still looking through the thread, and love and appreciate it, but hoping someone can offer me some advice.

Friend and I are looking to come to Thailand for two weeks to train at a camp. Both of us are very much beginners - we train kickboxing with each other and a guy who spent 3 years doing it, hitting pads, but never really sparring. We want to step it up and do a camp in Thailand for a couple weeks, somewhere a bit rural where we can just get our meditation on, eat, train.

Are we TOO amateur (we're both in good shape otherwise), or will it be OK? Where would be best given these constraints? I don't think either of us would want to have a fight, although we might change our tune while we're there.

edit: also, whatever this is worth, one of us is about 165lbs and the other about 130lbs. will there be plenty of guys big enough for 165 to spar with? I assume plenty for 130. Not that they won't all kick my ass even if I weigh more, but I figure it would be good to spar with guys my height etc.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster because I finally joined a MT gym.

I've been to 6 classes now and my instructor seems to be getting frustrated with me and kinda raises his voice at me when I do it wrong. I feel very uncoordinated with certain techniques, like my body just won't let me do it properly.

I came to the gym already in great shape, so conditioning is no problem, but its almost like he doesn't even want to waste his time showing me how to get it down right. Is it normal to never hear positive encouragement at all? I am very respectful and try my best to do what I'm told.

Front kicks feel especially awkward for me. There isn't an advanced or beginner class...it is all just one, which kind of sucks. I feel bad for the regulars who have to spar with me, but honestly they teach me more then the coach. Should I just stick it out and try to prove myself? I am enjoying it but wish I had more guidance as its pretty discouraging.

Yeah a good instructor shouldnt yell at you if you make a mistake, is this gym mainly for fighters? or does it have a mix of people there for fitness/self defense/fighting?

Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster because I finally joined a MT gym.

I've been to 6 classes now and my instructor seems to be getting frustrated with me and kinda raises his voice at me when I do it wrong. I feel very uncoordinated with certain techniques, like my body just won't let me do it properly.

I came to the gym already in great shape, so conditioning is no problem, but its almost like he doesn't even want to waste his time showing me how to get it down right. Is it normal to never hear positive encouragement at all? I am very respectful and try my best to do what I'm told.

Front kicks feel especially awkward for me. There isn't an advanced or beginner class...it is all just one, which kind of sucks. I feel bad for the regulars who have to spar with me, but honestly they teach me more then the coach. Should I just stick it out and try to prove myself? I am enjoying it but wish I had more guidance as its pretty discouraging.
Not sure how good that gym sounds..

I just did a little write up on a modest gym with great trainers..

View it here: 96 Penang Gym

I've been here for around 5 years now so if any of you guys have any questions about training in Thailand, good gyms etc.. don't hesitate to ask.

Back