Muay thai guys: What's your stance like?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by BigInJapan, Jul 29, 2010.

1. BigInJapan

BigInJapan Green Belt

my front foot (left) is pointed slightly to the left and my the heel of my back foot is veeeeeery slighty lifted off the ground with the foot being pointed at a 45 degree angle. Mostly all of my body weight is on my front leg.

2. Da Speeit

Da Speeit CANCEROUS POSTER Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    Im no "Muay Thai Guy", but Ive adopted more of a thai stance, though i have a karate and western boxing base.

A thai stance is somewhere in between distance wise, so i use it kid of as a reference point.

Orthodox, my left toes are pointed sligtly outside (inside my opponent's posture), and my back foot is at about a 50 degree angle.
    My legs are a little bit wider than should width, with my right hand just above my jaw, and my left hand floating dependig on where i am.

Southpaw, though, it's pure karate stance. Hands above the shoulder, legs wide

3. Jesus X

Jesus X Gold Belt

I started out as a boxer(p.a.l , D.G,L.A sands,Azteca boxing currently) and then picked up MT at 19 , I strike/stand a lot like k-1 guys,kraus,masato,not too squared up, I only clinch defensively,but I can throw knees, my gym used to focus a ton on low kicks every one in my gym had good kicks.

4. HBbadb0y

HBbadb0y Yellow Belt

My stance is very square. I stand shoulder width apart and take one step forward with my left foot. Thats it. My stance is like a walking motion. I don't have my right foot at a 45 degree angle out. I'm orthodox btw.

5. ssullivan80

ssullivan80 see....what had happened was

For me it changes depending on opponent.

If I have a significant reach advantage and want to fight tall, I use a much narrower stance lead shoulder out in front (work off the jab)...... I guess it could be described as somewhere in between a TKD stance (not as narrow) and shell type boxing stance (not as wide at the feet). I am usually really light on my feet in this stance, up on the balls of my feet so i can hop in-out and use quick pivots, i do this to draw the shorter guy in.

If I working against an aggressive pressure fighter, come forward style. I square up at the shoulders a bit more and bring my guard up high and tight, tuck my elbows in to my body. Front foot pointed straight ahead, rear foot just slightly turned out..... (similar to Badr Hari's stance).

Against a real traditional style MT fighter, I actually prefer using a traditional boxing stance. Little wider base, lead hand slightly forward at shoulder level, rear hand up high on jaw line. The only change i make is staying a little lighter on my front foot. I find this stance makes landing my jab easier against a traditional MT guy (real square and narrow), and lets me get off quick UC's if they try to clinch. The lower heavier base helps me counter kicks with straight punches too.

6. sickc0d3r

sickc0d3r Black Belt

I *TRY* to emulate Petrosyan's stance and movement. His style is very similar to the style of my teacher. Aggressive, square, shoulders forward and hands high, feet close together.

7. SAAMAG

SAAMAG San Antonio Applied Martial Arts Group

Mine's like a muay thai stance. Balanced, mobile, tall, with the front foot pointing forward and rear foot pointing 45 out. Sometimes weight's back, sometimes weight's forward, sometimes it's balanced.

The "stance" is just the facilitator for some other task--be it offensive or defensive.

8. Frostyy1

Frostyy1 White Belt

You guys don't switch your feet up? i.e. switching from southy back to orthodox rinse and repeat and mix it up? I have the basic muay thai stance( lead foot pointing forward rear foot on a 45/50 degree angle) but I do tend to switch to more of a boxing stance as I tire. Feels like I can cover up better.

Does anyone float the lead hand shogun style? :D

9. Jecca

Jecca Orange Belt

front foot pointed at opponent, back foot 45 degrees. hand up near eye brows slightly facing outwards. squared up, tall and bouncing on the balls of my feet.

10. Sizzerb

Sizzerb White Belt

I'm not going to go into depth but it is ussually always a square MT stance but it shift my leg placement as soon as I start unloading the hands.

11. EffeKt

EffeKt Blue Belt

feet really close together, hands really high, chin up = ready to fuckin' roll!

12. Steakeater**

Steakeater** Banned Banned

Petro isnt square at all, but his feet are very close and he stand tall, using his reach effectively. Amazing jabs

13. OHNO

OHNO Orange Belt

roll to the canvas?

14. OHNO

OHNO Orange Belt

sounds like not many MT guys round here. I have my front out at 45 (cause i can check kicks) and weight planted firmly on the back. And you know you're not MT unless you got your Tong Po elbows up.

15. TheTruth1982

TheTruth1982 Guest

your lead leg??? you must find yourself getting the shit kicked out of that leg often, or you will if you decide to fight.

16. WestLynnGangster

WestLynnGangster Blue Belt

Both feet slightly less than shoulder width apart. Both feet pointed forward (back foot has a slight angle but for the most part pointed forward). Left leg forward and light (ready to check kicks). Hands at the temple. Pretty much a squared stance. I like this stance. It also allows me to transition well into my wrestling stance when I do pankration or MMA because of how squared it is; all I have to do is lead with my right instead of my left foot and adjust my hands when appropriate.

17. sickc0d3r

sickc0d3r Black Belt

18. Boxer123

Boxer123 Guest

I stand about 60% weight on back leg, 40% weight in front leg nice and tall and usually never eat kicks as I am always in a position to check them. I also keep my hands out and palms open up near my temple height for catching punches and counter with middle kicks.

19. zx

zx adventurer

Feet shoulder width, lead foot straight forward, back at 45. Weight 30% on front leg. Lead hand in front of me, eye hight. Rear on chin. At 45 to opponent.