Muay Thai Ground Grappling

p4pbest

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i didnt know where to put this so i put it here cos in the grappling forum they all talk about BJJ/judo/sambo.

Has anyone seen this in action? bloody amazing!

My Thai boxing teacher showed us ground grappling in muay thai. Ive seen drawings and old pictures in books online and stuff about grappling in old school Muay Boran and this looked very simmilar.

At one point my teacher was choking someone out with his heel and toes. It looked wow!

Anyone ever seen this? i know its extremley rare but it looked fascinating!

Ive heard of it but thats it. Burma has a system of wrestling/groundfighing too. I would imagine many of those countries have them, but with the boom of jits and sambo people dont care....madness

Ive heard of it but thats it. Burma has a system of wrestling/groundfighing too. I would imagine many of those countries have them, but with the boom of jits and sambo people dont care....madness

"Use only that which works and take it from any place you can find it." - Bruce Lee

there was lots of stuff like this here in the demonstration.

8.jpg

wakingthelionwithin_p2.jpg

0.jpg

Those images are of bokator. They are the ones i could find. It says that bokator had a lot of simmilarities to Muay Boran. I know that Muay Boran had a ground grappling system that was very old and that they used to teach it to warriors way back then.

and another move kinda like how Rickson Gracie would take the back of on opponent and kick his stomach/liver , but in this version it was kinda higher up where u had the persons head trapped and twisted under ur hip/arms and u could kick the solar plexus OR the adams apple with your heel!

The take downs looked like sambo take downs with the legs. lots of scissor like take downs and kicking the knees to throw a opponent to the ground.

It had my teacher sitting upright a lot. It was a very different style compared to BJJ or other ground fighting stuff we have all seen.

It says that bokator had a lot of simmilarities to Muay Boran. I know that Muay Boran had a ground

the majority of thai culture is borrowed from khmer culture. so it is very likely muay boran = bokator and pradel serei = muay thai.

edit: even buakaw is khmer surin

the majority of thai culture is borrowed from khmer culture. so it is very likely muay boran = bokator and pradel serei = muay thai.

edit: even buakaw is khmer surin

quite possible

that's not exactly grappling.. it's more like ground techniques and they are illegal in SPORT muay thai.

have quite a few in boran however it is not remotely at the level of of grappling arts.
in muay boran that leg lock up above was the first i learned.
also we do not borrow or steal from khmer, we share and develop at the same time.
before the khmer invasion we had a culture, derived from religions of indian extract not khmer.
the exact history of muay thai is still a mystery after Ayuthaya was burned.

have quite a few in boran however it is not remotely at the level of of grappling arts.
in muay boran that leg lock up above was the first i learned.
also we do not borrow or steal from khmer, we share and develop at the same time.
before the khmer invasion we had a culture, derived from religions of indian extract not khmer.
the exact history of muay thai is still a mystery after Ayuthaya was burned.

please dont take offense to my prior posting. khmer empire which ruled s.e.a was based on hindu teachings. angkor wat is a hindu temple. im just basing my opinions on what i've read. but i agree that the origin of s.e.a boxing is still unclear though the khmers based this off 9th century carvings. but your pointed is noted about ayuthaya

and hindu is of indian origin.
it really is not important any way, as the bottom line is who is standing on top of the muay thai mountain now.
i believe we are.
thailand was never completely conquered, only certain parts.

the whole of s.e.a seems to have developed there arts at a similar time..
interesting times.
dancing, songs and martial arts are similar

Theres also Burmese grappling called Naban

and hindu is of indian origin.
it really is not important any way, as the bottom line is who is standing on top of the muay thai mountain now.
i believe we are.
thailand was never completely conquered, only certain parts.

no shit hindu is indian? o rly? i was being diplomatic and avoiding the revisionist bullshit

no shit hindu is indian? o rly? i was being diplomatic and avoiding the revisionist bullshit

i could also say no shit, nakhon wat is hindu.
I know that you know its indian.
I was just pointing out that we are all cultural connected through our indian born religions,
was not trying to make you look ignorant, you misunderstood my intent, or rather i did not explain it properly.

Muay Chiaya, one of the few still distinct regional branches of MT, has a very well round ground system, basic fundamental grappling and well developed GnP. Out side of that I am not sure how much is left.

Slightly off topic, but lastnight I showed some bargirls a video of on of my BJJ matches and they thought it was the gayest shit ever.

Back