Muay thai coach hit super hard in a sparring session

AnonTk5

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Okay so im guessing some of you are going to say off the bat "the sports not for you blah blah" "hit him hard back" ...ive been off and on in boxing for about 4 years. I use it as a way to stay fit and protect myself . I am a decent boxer without showing iff too much needless to say ive been getting that a lot even thouht i dont do it as a full time thing. ...enough about me...long story short the muay thai coach decided that he wanted to throw hard punches out of the blue in a "light sparring session with your partners" ..i hit hard but i respect all my sparring partners so i respect all levels if i accidemtly hit hard tgen i tell the guy hit me hard back and apologize (which i rarely do hit my sparring partners hard) ..so i did not throw a punch to make him throw hard ..(i did not have head gear or a mouth guard) at the end of this awkward sparring session . i was left with a bloody nose..lucky his hard shots did not knock me out which suprised me in a way that hes about 20 years older than me (hes in his 40s)and way more experienced ..he apologized but didnt really mean it. You can tell when someone doesnt mean it. Should i just avoid this coach? Honestly it was a dick move. I understand his muay thai ego is to hate boxers but common ..thoughts on this as a fighting community?....all i could say is ill get better.

There is no muay thai ego to hate on boxers. Maybe some retards do but boxing is a big part of our game. Respect the hands. My sparring philosophy that always worked is answer with same power. If you dont really like going hard tell the coach about it in private dont call him out in front of everyone. IF he still punch you hard so you bleed etc you should find another gym.

Sounds like one of those gyms...
Coach meets new guy, coach needs to prove who is still alpha...

or, you clipped him hard and he decided to turn the dial up back. I see many new guys come to the gym and want to hit hard , but want to receive light. Most of the time, these new guys do not even know they are hitting hard because they spaz out and go out of control; maybe the coach sense you were hitting hard and was only returning the same power. Other times, I see people punch hard, but do not want to get kick/knee hard back, that is also a no no, if you punch hard then expect to receive hard in any form...

If you were going very light and technical, then observe their gym atmosphere, if they are a balls to the walls gym that go hard then you must follow, or go to a different gym.

Kick him in the groing and then apologize.. without really meaning it.

Or change gym. Coachs beating ups students? That is plain stupid.

I always sparr very light with good speed but 20% of power or something. And sparring is not about beating the crap out of your partner but to work in both man weaknesses.

good points by everybody.

maybe you just got roughed up a little bit in the nose though isn't it? if you want to use combat sports training to "protect yourself" then you should end sparring with a bloody nose once in a lifetime.

Weird situation.

He knew you didn't have headgear nor mouth guard and he still threw hard? Either he's just a douche or a shitty coach. Either way, not the type of gym I'd pay good money to.

Okay so im guessing some of you are going to say off the bat "the sports not for you blah blah" "hit him hard back" ...ive been off and on in boxing for about 4 years. I use it as a way to stay fit and protect myself . I am a decent boxer without showing iff too much needless to say ive been getting that a lot even thouht i dont do it as a full time thing. ...enough about me...long story short the muay thai coach decided that he wanted to throw hard punches out of the blue in a "light sparring session with your partners" ..i hit hard but i respect all my sparring partners so i respect all levels if i accidemtly hit hard tgen i tell the guy hit me hard back and apologize (which i rarely do hit my sparring partners hard) ..so i did not throw a punch to make him throw hard ..(i did not have head gear or a mouth guard) at the end of this awkward sparring session . i was left with a bloody nose..lucky his hard shots did not knock me out which suprised me in a way that hes about 20 years older than me (hes in his 40s)and way more experienced ..he apologized but didnt really mean it. You can tell when someone doesnt mean it. Should i just avoid this coach? Honestly it was a dick move. I understand his muay thai ego is to hate boxers but common ..thoughts on this as a fighting community?....all i could say is ill get better.
Sounds like a dick. Unless you've got some sort of loyalty thing with this 'coach', go find a better one.

Back