Muay Thai clinch rules?

M

Mattt

What are the rules regarding throwing in the clinch?

I want to know exactly what is allowed and what isn't.

I generally see a lot of off-balancing, but are judo-like throws allowed, or slams allowed?

your allowed to push, but tripping and slaming is not, you do tend to c it quite alot though

Any more detail?

If tripping is not allowed, how is tripping defined? I presume it's not ok to push/pull someone whilst blocking their leg with yours... but what if you block their hip with yours? Are hip throws allowed?

And about the slamming... where is the line drawn between pushing someone off balance with force, and doing the same thing whilst lifting them slightly off the ground?

Etc.

I'm looking for specifics.

Technically you cannot judo trip or Greco toss a guy...but we all do it...a lot. No one is going to stop you. They may warn you, but to be honest traditional thai judnges and refs like it. Make sure to stand over them after you toss them and make the ref push you away to show your aggression and dominance. I've seen many thai fighters lose the fight in my opinion, but get the decision simply because they were perceived as the more dominent fighter. Food for thought.

Any more detail?

If tripping is not allowed, how is tripping defined? I presume it's not ok to push/pull someone whilst blocking their leg with yours... but what if you block their hip with yours? Are hip throws allowed?

And about the slamming... where is the line drawn between pushing someone off balance with force, and doing the same thing whilst lifting them slightly off the ground?

Etc.

I'm looking for specifics.

I have hip tossed, tripped and so on. The only thing I have never done and would probably get in trouble for is shooting a double or a single. Just make sure to trip/toss while spinning him violently. The spin will help the takedown be successful and draw attention away from what you are really doing.

Specifics:
One that I love doing is clinch, push him against the ropes, use the momentum off the ropes to spin him to the center and jodu trip his outside foot while spinning. Then stand over him and wait to be pushed back.

Another one, Catch a kick, if a sweep is unsuccessul, tree-top the leg, drive away from the ref so he can't stop you and inside trip his only base lag and slam the hell out of him. Go down with him and try to drive your elbow into his liver, heart or solopexis(sp?). Then quickly get up and stand over him and wait to be pushed back by the ref.

Another one, Plum, knee, slip the arm over and get the "spinning wheel" (hope you know what that is). Knee a few times, he'll either pull away or power towards you. If away, use the rope momentum trick I mentioned earlier. If towards, go with his trust like a judoka and foot sweep him while twisting his head/neck as hard as possible. Stand over him and wait to be pushed back.

And so on.

I have hip tossed, tripped and so on. The only thing I have never done and would probably get in trouble for is shooting a double or a single. Just make sure to trip/toss while spinning him violently. The spin will help the takedown be successful and draw attention away from what you are really doing.

Specifics:
One that I love doing is clinch, push him against the ropes, use the momentum off the ropes to spin him to the center and jodu trip his outside foot while spinning. Then stand over him and wait to be pushed back.

Another one, Catch a kick, if a sweep is unsuccessul, tree-top the leg, drive away from the ref so he can't stop you and inside trip his only base lag and slam the hell out of him. Go down with him and try to drive your elbow into his liver, heart or solopexis(sp?). Then quickly get up and stand over him and wait to be pushed back by the ref.

Another one, Plum, knee, slip the arm over and get the "spinning wheel" (hope you know what that is). Knee a few times, he'll either pull away or power towards you. If away, use the rope momentum trick I mentioned earlier. If towards, go with his trust like a judoka and foot sweep him while twisting his head/neck as hard as possible. Stand over him and wait to be pushed back.

And so on.

Quoted for truth. Most refs will let you get away with a lot of shit. I think in theory, you aren't allowed to trip or throw the opponent over any part of your body. In practice, I think a lot of stuff goes.

Two things I can chime in with:

You are not allowed to trip over a body part. So no judo tripping, and no hip tosses, BUT apparantly there is a loop-hole that you can get away with foot trips if you move the foot after you've tripped him and before he hits the ground.

So as already mentioned, turn him around and trip him at the same time and move your leg afterwards.

Remember that you can use the FRONT of the leg as in a kick for tripping. Kicking the leg out is a-ok.

Obviously there is a lot of grey areas in this, and you'll get away with a lot if it's not blatantly a judo or wrestling move.

i saw a tsk guy fight some philly guy in a match in nyc. i think the tsk was losing until he purposely used a drop seonage at the last second of the round. i think he damaged the other kid's shoulder or something cause he just stopped fighting after that

Speaking of, when you clinch do you lock your fingers?

Speaking of, when you clinch do you lock your fingers?

If you like broken fingers be my guest. But that is only for MMA. I think it would be very difficult to interlace your finger in MT gloves, but maybe I just suck or something. LOL

If you like broken fingers be my guest. But that is only for MMA. I think it would be very difficult to interlace your finger in MT gloves, but maybe I just suck or something. LOL

Ok just wondering, as I dont practice MT. :)

Seems like holding someone in the clinch would be a bad thing because while your hands are around the head/neck, wouldnt the opponent just start uppercutting the crap out of you? I mean how can you block if you're hands are all busy holding on? Just wondering! Thanks!

Seems like holding someone in the clinch would be a bad thing because while your hands are around the head/neck, wouldnt the opponent just start uppercutting the crap out of you? I mean how can you block if you're hands are all busy holding on? Just wondering! Thanks!

Upper cuts are mainly a concern if you have a loose clinch and your head isn't where it's supposed to be. A better question should be, if your opponent is trying to make you eat upper cuts instead of being concerned about maintaining his own clinch, while you've got the dominant clinch, how does he block the impending knee to the head that he's about to receive?

i would love the moment someone drops both of their hands to try to hit me while i have them in the clinch.....

trips are allowed and were taught to me in thailand everyday,as were slams.
what rules and what country are you refering to cause the only take downs i've been pulled up for are hip throws.
every thai fighter trips and slams, you score points for it so its allowed

What i was told is you are allowed to throw but u should just use ur upper body to throw him.

thats right upper body and no hip throws, trips are allowed

Back