MT vs BJJ

MCanavan6

White Belt
Reaction score
First off I know that in order to have good overall fighting ability you should train both, however as of now I only have the money and time for one. I am leaning towards MT as an overall self defense fighting style but was wondering what everyone thought. I would be training at Sityodtong in Boston.

Depends on you and your apptitude .

me being smaller and flexible and not athletic at all would go BJJ

If youre gonna be a fighter then BJJ, if its for casual self defense and beating peoples asses when they mess with you, then Muay Thai. Im sorry but it looks alot cooler doing a flying knee kick to some guys chin, than strategically taking him down and submitting him with an arm bar. Plus if its 2v1 bjj wont work

Unless you are a pro, you are only going to have time to be good at one. I recommend just deciding by which one you find the most enjoyable. The more fun you have while training, the more likely you will become good.

IF he knocks you over and starts pounding on you MT won't work anymore.

Seriously, if you train for self defense then train both striking and grappling. People hit and people tackle each other to the floor or clinch every time they fight. Either you stay on your feet or you go to the ground during a brawl, there isn't anything else.

BJJ is just as good as MT, just in different areas. If you were getting 2v1 running is your best option. If not, then put 1 guy out by whatever means necessary. Knee to the face, punches, kicks, chokes. Whatever it takes to fight your way out of there.

If you're going for self defense, and you can only train one, go for knife fighting and firearm practices. Neither BJJ nor MT are going to help you nearly as much as either a good knife or a good handgun will.

If you're going for sport, do which ever one you enjoy more.

Unless you are a pro, you are only going to have time to be good at one. I recommend just deciding by which one you find the most enjoyable. The more fun you have while training, the more likely you will become good.

You get out of here with your common sense and logic !!!

this is about which one you like best .. and putting the other down !!!

judo, usually cheaper, many locations, and easy transition to bjj, pretty good for self defense too.

muay thai. i love bjj but I sure as fuck wish I had learned to box in case I were to get jumped.

BJJ is extremely fun. I do plan on training Muay Thai again, but honestly, strength training and pain are huge parts of Muay Thai. I have studying to do, and it's a hell of a lot easier to do if you dont have muscle shakes and bruises everywhere.

Plus, if you get in a tussle with someone, there's really not too much more satisfying than collar-choking someone unconcious and walking away. :p

Personally I would go with BJJ, seeing as you can easily purchase a heavy bag and teach yourself the basics of boxing and muay thai.

Back