Moving forward, vs Moving backwards.

T.J.T

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
When i first started training MT i naturaly was a bit more defensive, i could counter well but i found i was moving back about 90% of the time. i have a solid gaurd and i am geting quite better, but about a month or so ago my Kru spoke to me about not giving up ground and trying to move forward and be more "Controlling" when sparring.

Since then ive found my skill set has compleatly changed. I went from someone who could see a lot of openings and land solid counter punches and block a lot, but i was less active with my kicks and knee's. I also had a nice jab i could use, I was really good with feigns and doubling it up and catching people with hooks and body shots.

Since ive changed the Majority of movement from backwards and to the side to Forwards and to the side i feel my hands have gone to crap unless i can get people to shell up, but then its more them doing the wrong thing then me doing anything well.

I seem to get caught a lot more while jabbing, i felt myself shelling up at times and not being able to watch my partner, something i NEVER did before. I am a lot better at countering with kicks, and i feel like i can land knees and see openings for elbows, but my hands feel piss poor.

Is this something to do with footwork, i try not to come straight in. When we spar its in the open gym, not a ring so i feel hard pressed while im backing them up i can never really catch up to them, where if i was in a ring with ropes i know i would be punishing people if they were backing up as much as they do while sparing.

Just looking for some tips, i felt my jab was really solid when i started, but now that ive tried to become more agressive in moving forward im starting to abandon my jabs and combos and i dont want to become so one dementional with kicks and knees.

Sorry for the long post.

You don't have to move forward constantly. Mix it up. I think your trainer wants to make sure you just don't start backing up everytime you get in trouble. Just because your trainer doesn't want you to back up, doesn't mean you have to bumrush and get off balance. Just don't back away if the other guy steps in. Sidestep and counter.

If the other guy is constantly backing away and you can't catch him, slowly back up so he steps in to maintain range, and as he does it step right back in and hit him. Never chase em down and let yourself get off balance. It really sounds like you guys need a ring.

You're probably just not used to moving differently yet. Also, you could be getting tagged because you use the jab too often. You might want to pressure your opponent with more than just jabs if you want him backing up. Mix up your strikes and get used to keeping the pressure.

You're probably just not used to moving differently yet. Also, you could be getting tagged because you use the jab too often. You might want to pressure your opponent with more than just jabs if you want him backing up. Mix up your strikes and get used to keeping the pressure.

Sometimes i try to use a right cross to get them to shell up, but being that we try to spar light, throwing a solid right cross in there is hard to go "light"

I might just be having a off week ill try not to just move forward 100% of the time this week and maybe try to get them to come at me sometimes and see how that is.

I know a ring would be diffrent, but the majority of sparing we do is just on the floor mats.

You don't have to move forward constantly. Mix it up. I think your trainer wants to make sure you just don't start backing up everytime you get in trouble. Just because your trainer doesn't want you to back up, doesn't mean you have to bumrush and get off balance. Just don't back away if the other guy steps in. Sidestep and counter.

If the other guy is constantly backing away and you can't catch him, slowly back up so he steps in to maintain range, and as he does it step right back in and hit him. Never chase em down and let yourself get off balance. It really sounds like you guys need a ring.

Yes, this. Remember you have 6 other possible directions to move in besides just forwards backwards. Slipping, sidestepping and weaving will improve your defense and ability to counter by leaps and bounds.

Back