• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

movies where you had low expectations but were surprised with how good they were

llperez22

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
lets hear them

for me, spiderman into the spider-verse is at top of list. Ive never been a spiderman fan, dont care much for any of the movies, so seeing a cartoon version didnt jump at me as something to see. But damn was that an enjoyable film to watch. Great soundtrack, funny, just a well done film that felt different than whats normally pushed out there
spiderverse.jpg

The "Dredd" movie from 2012 was a surprise as well. Hated the first, zero expectations for the sequal. But the 2012 film didnt try to do a back story to create an origin or anything like that. Just straight up a day in the life of a 'Judge. Hot co-star as well

"Hereditary" is another one where I enjoyed it so much that I have to tell everyone who is a horror fan about it, and kinda like m night shamylan, im now going to probably watch every film from that director in hopes that he can keep the momentum going

I expected Edge of Tomorrow to be decent and it was great.

Spanglish and Click are a pair of Adam Sandler movies where I didn't expect much and was quite pleasantly surprised.

I expected an average sports movie in Invincible with Mark Wahlberg but it was much better than that.

Warrior. There had never been a decent MMA movie so I expected total dog shit.

I had the same experience with Dredd.

Spanglish and Click are a pair of Adam Sandler movies where I didn't expect much and was quite pleasantly surprised.

I expected an average sports movie in Invincible with Mark Wahlberg but it was much better than that.

I thought Redbelt was halfway decent for an mma flick. The roulette/handicap idea would be very dumb for real competition irl.
I’ve always liked Chiwetel though.

Infinity War and Days of Future Past. I was sure these movies would both be massive train wrecks given their large casts and inconsistent level of quality (moreso the X-Men movies on the latter concern). To my surprise both turned out to be some of my favorite comic book movies.

I thought Redbelt was halfway decent for an mma flick. The roulette/handicap idea would be very dumb for real competition irl.
I’ve always liked Chiwetel though.

I was kind of disappointed in Redbelt, especially as it was written by David Mamet. The performances were good - aside from Randy Couture - but I thought the notion that fight fans would want to see these fights with one guy's arm tied behind his back was insulting to fight fans in the actual world and made it feel like Mamet was out of touch with his subject matter.

Oblivion and Dredd come to mind.

I was kind of disappointed in Redbelt, especially as it was written by David Mamet. The performances were good - aside from Randy Couture - but I thought the notion that fight fans would want to see these fights with one guy's arm tied behind his back was insulting to fight fans in the actual world and made it feel like Mamet was out of touch with his subject matter.
Exactly.
Solid acting by main cast imo, yet the handicap premise was dumb as fuck.

Liked Tim the tool man Taylor as shady/corrupt celebrity & the premise of integrity/ when all things/(your world) goes to shit.
images

That said I’m in accord with you 100% that Mamet’s philosophy/theme (adapting to obstacle/situation in front of u) & attempt to mix/integrate that into the rules/gimmick did not work at all.

Last edited:
X-Men. I was a huge superhero fan as a kid, and would buy whatever DC or Marvel comics I could get my hands on (limited back in 1970s England). But I never liked the X-Men comics, so when the movie came around, I expected it to be bad. However, I greatly enjoyed it, and think the makers did a great job adapting the source material.
Conversely, I dislike most of the Batman, Spiderman and Green Lantern movies despite these being my favourite comic characters!

Cruise has vastly more charisma when he plays an asshole I'd say, you could argue the same for Hardy. That did also mean the film actually had some substance to it seeing him reform himself rather than just another plot based Cruise action thriller.

Recent ones...

Shampoo - Didnt bother with this in the past as I thought this would just be a Beatty vanity project of him fucking as many good looking actresses as possible but actually almost the reverse.
Moscow on the Hudson - A bit unfocused perhaps but its not just Williams going over the top or cold war propaganda.
St Maude - I'v generally given up on most modern horror but this was very effective.
Birdy - Supprised this doesnt get more love with Cage in it giving IMHO one of his best performances.

recently these

1999 JCVD movie? Gotta be shit right? I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
Not balls out action, has a little depth, Danny Trejo is cool as, Tom Hanks brother turns up at the end.
Mr Miyagi, tongue in cheek but not overly done, good movie.
51NPVKOjErL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Haven't seen this one for years and I don't remember enjoying it too much.
But it's a really good little thriller, not so much horror, but a surprisingly deep delve into a twisted human (incestual) psyche. Some good murders and minge
16254e70cde91fa7_boxart.jpg

And this was a really cool little straight to video murder mystery from 1988, lovely twist at the end that you can see coming, but still very well planned.

I like the movie but still agree with you. That was out of touch. It was fuckin stupid.

BvS - expected a shit film, but liked it.

Age of Ultron - expected a mess and loved it.

Jackie Brown - thought it was one of Tarantino's best films.

Shutter island - always seen as the weakest out the DiCaprio Scorsese films but loved it

Bad boys for life - expected some unwatchable and poorly directed film but it was good

The Shawshank Redemption.

Went to London with then girlfriend to Leicester Square which has loads of cinemas . I'd vaguely heard of Shawshank but I really wanted to see Natural Born Killers. However , when we were there I did the gentlemanly thing and agreed to watch Shawshank ( okay , I wanted to get laid after too ).

Went in rather disappointed and wondering if I could get her to agree to watch NBK afterwards.

Sat down , watched it and walked out afterwards and I came out thinking ' Wow, how great was that ?'

Back