Movement books

Powerade

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Do you have any recommendations for books that focus on correct movement of the body? I have been training BJJ for 5 years and feel like that now it is time to focus more on movement and posture, not just for BJJ but for general well being. From what I have found on Amazon is Movement and other books by Gray Cook.

Any opinions are helpful. Thanks.

Esther Gokhale's book is the shit! And Overcoming Gravity is basically a condensed degree in kinesiology, without the "waste 3 years of your life" part.

Gray Cook's "Athletic Body in Balance" is good but there are probably more recent books and DVDs than that now.

NASM Essentials Of Corrective Exercise Training; NASM
Stability, Sport and Performance Movement: Practical Biomechanics; Joanne Elphinston
Pain-Free Program; Anthony B. Carey
Back Mechanic; Dr. Stuart McGill
Can You Go; Dan John

Bonus round:

Special Strength Training: Manual for Coaches; Dr. Yuri Verkhoshansky
Developing Agility and Quickness; NSCA

'What is this thing you call 'power'' round (its rotational velocity):

Fix Your Body, Fix Your Swing; Joey Diovisalvi
The Hammer Throw Handbook; Larry Judge
TUFFCUFF; Steven Ellis

It's not a book, but I suggest you check out Steve Maxwell's Encyclopedia of Joint Mobility DVD series. It's done wonders for me at least.

you can't go wrong with any of the books on this list especially Building the Gymnastic Body. Just that one book will give you enough of a strength edge that your training partners will think you have superpowers.

I would also add the books on functional training by Mike Boyle to the list. He works with Jimmy Pedro's guys, specifically two of his trainees (Kayla and Travis Stevens) grabbed medals in the last Olympics, bunch of NFL pros too. His stuff is more than legit and leagues ahead of the training being done by 99% of competitive grapplers. It pairs really well with BtGB which is much more indepth regarding upper body stuff.

Last edited:
NASM Essentials Of Corrective Exercise Training; NASM
Stability, Sport and Performance Movement: Practical Biomechanics; Joanne Elphinston
Pain-Free Program; Anthony B. Carey
Back Mechanic; Dr. Stuart McGill
Can You Go; Dan John

Bonus round:

Special Strength Training: Manual for Coaches; Dr. Yuri Verkhoshansky
Developing Agility and Quickness; NSCA

'What is this thing you call 'power'' round (its rotational velocity):

Fix Your Body, Fix Your Swing; Joey Diovisalvi
The Hammer Throw Handbook; Larry Judge
TUFFCUFF; Steven Ellis
One of my S&C coaches at the OTC was a big Verkoshansky advocate. I fucking HATED those practices. Too easy, too much CNS crap going on before workouts, and way too much jumping for wrestling. I was the only one on the whole campus who even knew who he was. The guy knows how to program periodization like a MFr though.

Back