movement/angles..why do so many mma/martial artist have prob w/it

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I don't know how many people watched tuf, or took the time to really break down or analyze any of the fighters approach.

Throughout my time watching it i noticed rashad evan's and his standup approach/style; now i am aware he is very gifted athletically, quick footed/fisted and very mobile. An while i am sure this helped him alot; i still feel his style of standup helped him succeed much moreso than his athleticism.

From my point of view rashad is an safety first counter puncher who uses alot of movement and angles; in almost every fight i think his opp had better tech standup skills and more rounded striking skills...

Yet in every fight no opp was able to eff impose his will/approach or skills on rashad; an the thing i think impacted that was his his movement/mobility/timing an the angles he presented to his opp.

I see that a large group of mma fighters and martial artist in general have a problem w/ movement; in that they don't know how to close the dist, set up strikes or cut off a ring or cage.. Which often results in them chasing an opp and getting potshotted.

My question is this how is it that such well trained opp don't have any ability to fully round out their skills to deal w/that style, it seems that if someone is backing up..moving in and out or giving u diff angles or looks; alot of skilled strikers can't adust. It's a situation where the guy is unable to actively or eff use his skills unless the opp chooses to engage their opp on their own terms..

do u guys have issues w/this type of striking or do u understand why and how it works; i do it personally and i still find it odd how people who have seemingly competent to greeat off skills, are turned into opp who chase throw sloippy flurries or throw one strike at a time brawlers..

an when i watched tuf it seemed like alot of people had no appreciate for what reashad was doing to his opp which was in effect shutting them down, handcuffing them to the point where most of them were turned into heavy bags w/targets on them. Some people call it clowning, i call it def manuevers..

what do u guys think

do guys not just dev their overall standup skills or is it the frustration of not being able to hit someone as much as u would like to so frustrating that it turns a usually skilled guy into a one dimensional brawler.

i didnt see tuf but i cant tell you throwing flurries leaves you exposed for takedowns , so combos shouldnt b more than 2 or 3 punches at a time.

parallax86 said:
i didnt see tuf but i cant tell you throwing flurries leaves you exposed for takedowns , so combos shouldnt b more than 2 or 3 punches at a time.

Not Neccasarly... i Agree with u to a certain extent but when u have your opponent hurt and on the back foot flurrys are a must the last thing u want to do is let them offthe hook. Chuckliddel didthis against Tito and so did Cro Cop against Coleman...once the opponent is gassed or onthe back foot or hurt u have to unload to finish them otherwise alot of ppl recover fast...wanderlai is a good example of a fighter that if he get hit hard he recovers fast.

yeh agreed 100% , didnt put that in becuz i thought it was just that obvious:).

This is only true if you suck at flurries. Devante, like we discussed in your other thread, hesitation, fear, and too much respect for the opponent and for grappling is the leading cause of not enough movement and angles in MMA. In time it will change. But for now while things are still young, only like 35% of what these boys train gets used in the cage if even that much. The GOOD ones use about 35% of what they train.

Oh yeah and one the keys to overcoming this is being able to throw hands and have a strong takedown of your own. A-la Rashad Evans. He had good footwork and evaded a lot of things well, but because he knew how to Wrestle guys would stand with him, THEN he had quicker hands than all of the heavyweights he stood with. If he moves down to light-heavy he's gonna be a bitch to fight at he gets better because he has decent hand-speed and will be as big as if not a little bigger naturally than the light-heavy's.

King Kabuki said:
This is only true if you suck at flurries.

if u commit to a flurry of punches you take away pretty much all your ability to counter a shot with ur hands and u will have a hard time sprawling in time. why do u think different?

if u commit to a flurry of punches you take away pretty much all your ability to counter a shot with ur hands and u will have a hard time sprawling in time. why do u think different?

Why did you bite Tam's av? lol

If a person who flurries takes away their ability to counter and sprawl that's their own stupidity. Proper flurrying should hinder neither of these abilities. You don't have to have your feet set to flurry properly, and you SHOULD have control over WHERE you place your shots when you flurry. I'm not talking about wind-milling like a girl. I'm talking about letting out a series of full speed and power punches thrown in an ogranized manner, cognizant of the takedown.

kabuki is right, these cats are not really refined in their standup skills or strategy; secondly these dudes are too damn scared to be taken down, which ends up w/them walking around not punching or letting a less talented striker beat them up cus they are afraid they will be brought down if they fire back....

me personally i let my footwork..jab..and angles balance out my opp ability to close and tie up or shoot; watch the replays of tuf and tell me those things don't work...

secondly i am not scared of being taken down or subbed, which means i am not afraid to let my hands go, even though i do so judiciously....

i don't change my style cus someone can wrestle..if tht is gonna be done, then u are not using ur weapons which makes U one dimensional and that much easier to beat

is this av taken ? ah balls.

so how do u flurry without compromising your td defence ?

Back