Mouthguard benefits?

LODD2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I have been looking for articles on Mouthguard benefits and I am wondering if people can link me with them. I am looking on the shock protection and health protection of general Mouthguards and especially on increased endurance and psychological effects. Any links would be appreciated.
BTW, I did do a search on increased endurance of mouthguards but it keeps leading me to PPM's or something.

On a second note, how do you guys clean mouthguards? I use soap and water and sometimes put the mouthguard in a bag of water and put in fridge, I would put it in the freezer if I was not afraid of weakening the mouthguard

I clean my mouthguard by letting it soak in mouthwash then clean it with a toothbrush.

So I have been looking for articles on Mouthguard benefits and I am wondering if people can link me with them. I am looking on the shock protection and health protection of general Mouthguards and especially on increased endurance and psychological effects. Any links would be appreciated.
BTW, I did do a search on increased endurance of mouthguards but it keeps leading me to PPM's or something.

On a second note, how do you guys clean mouthguards? I use soap and water and sometimes put the mouthguard in a bag of water and put in fridge, I would put it in the freezer if I was not afraid of weakening the mouthguard

WTF. What?

It's worth getting used to for the one time you might catch a knee right to the bottom of your jaw.
Once you get used to a good mouthguard, you won't even notice you have it in.

The knee to the bottom of your jaw? does that happen a lot in bjj?

my ability to roll longer and more rounds shot up when I started using a mouthguard

by accident.
You can get hit on your face by pretty much any part of the other guys body, knees, head, fist, foot, shaft or balls.. anything

better to be safe than sorry right?

It's common enough.

I've seen several people lose teeth in BJJ. Rolling without a mouth guard is taking a silly risk.

A cup is much less important than a mouth guard. When you take the occasional shot to the groin, it hurts and you just walk it off. You're not usually taking blows to the point where you going to lose your testes or something like you would in Kickboxing.

When you take the occasional shot to the mouth, you chip/lose some teeth if you don't have a mouth guard. Using the Kickboxing example from above, it's not quite as extreme in BJJ as you getting your jaw broken and losing all your front teeth as would happen there, but it's bad enough that you should be rolling with a mouth guard.

Unless you hate teeth, roll with a mouth guard.

Not a lot but if it happens once in ten years, I'd be glad I got used to wearing a mouthguard for all ten of those years.

Get a mouthguard. I absolutely don't roll without one. Every time I end up getting a knee to the mouth or the jaw or get choked in a way that forces my teeth, I thank my mouthguard. When in doubt, get a cheap one, it's better than having nothing and eventually needing new teeth. Accidents happen.

A judoka reinforced a point he was making to me about mouthguards by popping out his face front teeth, and telling me how much he spent to get them done. He said he trained for 5 years with no mouthguard, no problem. One random accident, and he lost 3 front teeth, and had a few thousand dollars worth of dental work.

Like Balto, I don't roll without a mouthguard, and think those who do so are silly.

While we're at it, the boil and bite mouthguards from fightdentist.com are 20 bucks, and fit *almost* as well as a custom mouthguard. Custom guards are better, for sure, but the boil and bite they sell stays on, still allows you to talk, and doesn't restrict your breathing very much at all. Highly recommended! (I don't work for them)

^^^
I second the boil and bite mouthguards from fightdentist.com . I would never roll without a mouth guard. My very first week I got hit in the head with a random knee or foot several times. I'd rather spend 20$ on a mouth piece than a couple grand to repair my teeth.

Sorry to revive this thread but I have a question about cups. I have done wrestling in high school and although it was recommended we wear one, no one on the team did (or at least a very few actually did). But in jiu jitsu I have been getting my balls occasionally smashed and I end up losing position and stuff because my balls would be in the process of being crushed.

So basically I decided to buy a cup and I don't know if I am just retarded or what but I feel like it is way more of a hinderance then an aid. First of all, despite getting the right size, it bulges out a lot. Like it looks kind of ridiculous, maybe it's just from my angle? And I have yet to practice with it on but with just trying it out I feel like its going to move too much. I don't have a jock strap but have those brifs that hold it so I don't know if that's the problem.

To be on topic last practice my teeth kind of got chipped so I got a mouth gurad too but haven't used it yet. It seems like more people are willing to use a mouthguard but not a cup.

Yeah Minnja, they're completely uncomfortable. So, you have compressions shorts that hold your cup? Both compression shorts and a jock strap are horrible for me.

Compression Shorts - Don't really hold the cup tightly over my junk, even though I have correct fitting compression shorts. Also, the pocket allows a lot of movement, so it's really uncomfortable.

Jock Strap- It does hold the cup tightly over my junk, my problem is that the sides of the cup rub up against the sides of my legs and cause a rug burn type effect. Really uncomfortable as well!

So, here's what I do to take care of both problems. I put on my compression shorts, without the cup in them, and then on top of the compression shorts, I put on my jock strap and put the cup in the jock strap. That really helps to keep it from moving, but also the compression shorts give it some padding, making it more comfortable.

I would say that that's the way to go. Most comfortable way I've found to wear a cup, and I've worn one for a long time (played baseball, which I had to wear one for, from 5yrs. - 15yrs., martial arts since then to 20 and I've always worn one).

I'd never roll without one. I've been accidentally kicked, kneed, headbutted, or elbowed many times. It is just kind of bound to happen since grappling/BJJ isn't the most gentle sport. To clean it I'll use a mild bleach solution once every month or so. Also, a good mouthguard (I personally use a starsguard) is not uncomfortable to wear in the slightest.

On the point of cups I take similar stance to a mouthguard. I've again been kneed in the junk or someone will try to pass up the middle enough times to be crazy to roll without one. Some people can and like to, but I'm not one of them.

Alright thanks virtuoso and also am i suppose to look like I have a raging boner when I wear one

Back