Mount

b0b

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have only been to a few classes, so I know it will come eventually, but when I am in open mat, I feel really defensive and cannot mount an offense. I am a natural at getting the back position. Any time I tap someone it is from the back.

Now, my problem. I will usually give up good position early and get mounted or side-mounted. I feel completely helpless, and can only sit back and wait for them to try a sub before I can gain better position. What are some things I can practice to get out of mount/side mount?

For example, I got mounted, tried to bridge, and ended up giving up my back. I got in his closed guard eventually, and he slapped on a triangle. At this point, I grabbed his right lapel with my right hand, and brought it against his windpipe, stacked him for leverage, and he eventually let go of the triangle.

I am just hap-hazardly using strength and speed to get out of attempted subs, and can't do anything until they try a sub.

make sure when you upa(bridge) you hook the foot and have control of his arm. when you get to his guard you need to immediatly posture up.

you can also elbow knee escape to half guard or full guard

just practice man

minimagpro said:
make sure when you upa(bridge) you hook the foot and have control of his arm. when you get to his guard you need to immediatly posture up.

you can also elbow knee escape to half guard or full guard

just practice man

It is a really high mount, and his butt his up near my chest, so it is hard for me to hook the leg.

b0b said:
It is a really high mount, and his butt his up near my chest, so it is hard for me to hook the leg.
try to brace your elbows on your opponents knees and squirm upwards until you can hook the leg. If you're trying to bridge you've got to have control of them or else they'll be able to just let you turn underneath them and you've just given up your back.

High mount is a bitch. Keep your elbows down to prevent him from scooting up, once he is up your fucked.

You're just lucky he hasn't armbarred you from high mount. Those armbars are tight.

you've only been training for a short while; the way I see it is you need to have a very good defense and great guard before you can mount a good offense.

btw Submission attempts from guard are excellent if you've already got a good guard.

Shrimp out. using your knees to push against his knees.

Upa, make sure you trap an arm at least even if you can't get a leg. Some people expect this and can roll you into an arm bar or triangle, so stay tight.

Bump him hard so you can get both hands under their butt & bridge like an upa. This way, all they will have is your head in between their legs but they cannot sub you like this.

If all else fails, foot in their belt & push back if you do gi.

b0b said:
Uppa and bridge first with the arm trapped if you cant get him over its because he has posted his leg on the side that his arm is trapped, or shifted all his weight to the other side to set your up for armbar or triangle.. 1st. work the elbow escape on the side the leg is posted... if he shifted then shoot your elbow that is closest to him straight to the ground.. make space and he will probably try to return to guard... then start working your game again.

Biggest thing in mount for me is be patient, try to feel where the guys weight is.. if he is heavy in one place that means he is light some where else.

Some guys are just amazing at mount and can shift faster then you can think.... just comes with experience man.. keep training it will all come together.

If he's high up, you gotta crawl up til you can get your elbows in his thighs and your hands up by your chin again.

Side mount, you gotta shrimp for space, then you should be able to cut your leg through and put him back in your guard.

You'll learn this stuff in class. hang in there.

Commissar said:
You're just lucky he hasn't armbarred you from high mount. Those armbars are tight.

When I feel people posturing, I can usually defend that by grabbing my gi or thiers and holding on for dear life!

b0b said:
When I feel people posturing, I can usually defend that by grabbing my gi or thiers and holding on for dear life!
That works, I suppose. Just wait until you go against someone good - they'll have you in holds you've never seen before.

Commissar said:
That works, I suppose. Just wait until you go against someone good - they'll have you in holds you've never seen before.

I have no choice, I have no skills yet. Most of my open mat stuff is grabbing and hanging on!

b0b said:

To me, people who sit high on the mount are the easiest to upa roll. The point of the upa roll is to get all their weight on top of their head by bridging hard and then upa roll. Don't forget to hook a leg and arm, the leg is the easiest by not necessary but most of the time the arm is necessary to trap.

b0b said:
I have only been to a few classes,

Jeez, you've trained like 3 or 4 times in your life and you're not very good at it?

Who'd have thunk it. You obviously suck completely and might as well give up now.

Or you could, you know, keep showing up to class and maybe listen to the advice that people give you there (or even ask for some!!)

when you get mounted make sure that your feet are in tight against your butt, so they can't grapevine your legs. also keep your elbows to the ground so they can't walk up into your armpits.

Back