Motivate me to eat right: All forms of motivation welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Trunks Black Trim

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So long story short, I got fat a few years ago from being depressed after leaving the military. It's gotten worse and now it's causing me health issues.

I MUST lose weight but sometimes have trouble caring about myself.

So please, say anything, post anything, that might get my ass in gear and the discipline to stay there until goals are reached.

Be brutal if you have to. I need you, Sherbros.

:(

You should have a listen to the David Goggins JRE [#1080] its quite a powerful story. Jocko Podcast is another good source of motivation too (especially the earlier episodes). Go for a walk everyday and listen to something positive and motivating. Exercise makes you feel good, even just a walk is beneficial for health and is one positive thing that youve done that day. Having an eating routine can help control what you eat; routines can help maintaining personal discipline in general. Best of luck.

Last edited:
So long story short, I got fat a few years ago from being depressed after leaving the military. It's gotten worse and now it's causing me health issues.

I MUST lose weight but sometimes have trouble caring about myself.

So please, say anything, post anything, that might get my ass in gear and the discipline to stay there until goals are reached.

Be brutal if you have to. I need you, Sherbros.

:(

I was in a similar position to you a couple of years ago. I've had ups and downs but ultimately its doable and once you get over the first couple of months it gets a lot easier.

Tbh what really worked for me was forgetting about "looks" completly and just focusing on how I felt.
For example, when you eat a whole pizza or a cheap burger or whatever aside from the immediate satisfaction of it going in you pay for it subsequently - indigestion/sweats/sluggishness/bowel troubles etc. Same goes for getting drunk. Start associating bad habits with bad consequences and it gets easier to control urges mentally.

Aside from that the basics as always are:
Eat clean
Low carbs
Go to bed and wake up early
Train daily even if its just a walk
Cut out booze/drugs
Sauan/steam/spa/massage etc to relax

I also did a couple of week long residential boot camps - not cheap but really good results and if your ex-military you'd probably respond well.

Set yourself a public goal like doing a 5k, a white collar/charity fight etc that would entail letting others down and not just yourself.

And remember there is a difference between being hard on yourself constructively and self hatred.

Fuck motivation. That'll just get you started. It will leave you like a woman who's gotten bored, and then the hunger will come, and what will you do then?

Look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself if you really chose the body you have or if you just followed the path of least resistance, stuffing your face with every fleeting craving, and ended up with it. Ask yourself if you want your physical being to be the product of mere happenstance, or if you want to exert your will upon it. Your body is a reflection of your will. Dieting is an act of Nietszchean self-invention. Do you have the will to shred, or do you not? When you have a craving, that's your animal being expressing a want in the now, and all that we experience in life is in the now, so why not give into it? Why not? Because I fucking said so, that's why not.

All this other stuff about health benefits is irrelevant if there isn't a you that wills it. A while ago there was a famous experiment done on children where they could either have 2 marshmallows if they just waited for 5 minutes, or one marshmallow right now. The kids who waited for the 2 marshmallows went on to be much more successful in life than the kids who just stuffed their little faces immediately with the 1 marshmallow. This is because the children could see themselves as an enduring entity who would still be around to enjoy being better off if they delayed their gratification now. If you don't have that, no one here can help you with anything. You will quit whatever you do, and perhaps ironically and tragically, it will be the first bit of success you achieve that makes you do it.

Activity has never been an issue. Can't put the good food down.
I second the intermittent fasting suggestion it really worked for me.

Also stay busy - Idle snacking has as much to do with boredom as actual hunger. Try getting a hobby or a project - I restore/upcycle stuff (working on an old Honda motorbike at present) for example.

It isn't motivation you need. Motivation comes and goes and you can't rely on it. It is discipline you need, but you don't have to look at health as something that is always hard and not fun: you can 'cheat' by reducing the amount of discipline it takes by reducing the resistance to becoming fit and making those choices easier- i.e. make eating healthy and exercising the 'lazy' option as much as possible.

Put your gym shit in a bag and have it ready to go after work - don't go home first.
Don't go to the supermarket when you are hungry and going to buy a bunch of bullshit - if you go on the way home, have a healthy snack packed and have in the afternoon.
Don't keep garbage food in the house. If you've got veggies, fruit, meat and the grains and shit you have to weigh out and cook and can't mindlessly eat it is so much easier.
Do meal prep for the week if you need to or hate cooking or whatever.
Oh and if you are drinking soda cut that shit out.

To add on to everybody above, good habits usually take a few months to fully develop. Your up against that, but not a bad initial goal if you can just break tbrough the first 8 weeks.

I like to listen to several podcasts while i work out, music sometimes. But the conversations help take attention away from anything thats bothering me during say a 3 mile.

Im also currently in the active army, so i get where your coming from. Sometimes i do wonder if my motivation will subside once i leave the service. I hope not lol.

But yeah, sounds like you just gotta get back into a groove. Once your used to it, itll be just like brushing your teeth or taking out the trash.

Take cover.

You are addicted to food and comfort. Food is your crutch, blankey, mommy coming to make you feel better. Food is making you actutely more comfortable but the chronic effects are devastating like alcohol. It offers the same escape.

Escape? From what?

Why did getting out of the Army change things? Boom there goes your social system. There goes your identity. No one can look at you anymore and see who and what you are by your uniform.

No matter what you did in the military, you got even more psychological support from it than you earned. What do I mean by that is the organization provides identity. In your military career there is always a bigger picture than you. When you get out, youre naked on stage again. Its you and you alone. Any flaws are your flaws and your choices. When I was in, sure I was hungover, but Gunny stressed me out so I had to drink. Besides everyone drinks its Marines do! Boom no ego hit from my irresponsible drinking. I got a whole story to tell myself. Now that Im out? Well fuck dude Im just drunk again now! It starts to chip away at your pride. Who are you?

I understand because it happens all the time.

Before long, youre fat and out of shape and dont even care enough to do anything about it.

What you need to do brother is first be honest. You dont sound like you're sugar coating it. That's good. Its a problem. Being fat and not caring about yourself is a PROBLEM. Its an emergency. So step 1 be honest.

Step 2 you need to earn self respect. What do I mean by that.

Its different for everybody. Only you can decide this part. You M-U-S-T do something challenging, something hard, every single day. It will only work if you can find the right challenge. YOU NEED TO BE ALONE TO FIGURE THIS PART OUT. No one can help you. Seriously. Anyone but you on Earth will fuck you RIGHT HERE if you let them. YOU decide.

If you're in really bad shape, it might be getting out of bed on time. It might be walking 100 steps. It could be brushing your fucking teeth. But I bet its gonna be something unglamorous and most people won't understand how its a victory. But you figure out what a small victory for YOU would be, then you bite down on your mouth piece and do it.

Done right, your experience is that of a man who is honestly looking at his faults, accepting small but real challenges, overcoming them, and not being distracted by other people who are at LEAST as fucked up as you. This is who you want to be!!!!!!

This daily practice will build self respect. Without it success is impossible. With it, you will carry yourself accordingly and be able to start your journey.

Today your challenge might be walk for ten minutes. Don't let the world confuse you. If that is your challenge, it is the most important battle of all time.

Accept small victories and bigger ones will be possible.

I can tell you one thing. I sit here with a smile on my face thinking of you. I can easily feel the shame, confusion, empty inside feeling you must have now. Am I a psychopath who enjoys your suffering? NO. I am smiling because I can also feel whats waiting for you on the other side of this. You have been given a gift brother. You basically have one way out. Victory. You have no choice now, you must be victorious over this. And how you will feel looking back, once youre at the end of your journey and you look back to these days, the feeling you'll get...

Very few people will know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back