Mother of God...

4c5025fc27e21ebeebad07703ddb77e0_XL.jpg

An earthquake happened somewhere, must be dec 21.

As long as America is safe.

I thought that tsunamis were typically generated by subduction zones creating an upward jolt, not necessary slab breakage? I know this guy is a marine biologist, but perhaps a geochemist or geophysicist might be better suited to make that statement.

I thought that tsunamis were typically generated by subduction zones creating an upward jolt, not necessary slab breakage? I know this guy is a marine biologist, but perhaps a geochemist or geophysicist might be better suited to make that statement.
frabz-4f8202.jpg

For some reason I want an underwater demolition team to blow it up.

Haha, I feel you Dwight :wink:

No doubt the guy is way smarter than me, but typically tsunamis are the product of slipping plates (or deep foci earthquakes) at subducting zones (where two collisions of crusts have force against one another and one is forced 'down'). The slippage downwards jolts the water upward and creates a wave (a bit more complicated, but it's that in a nutshell). So the idea of a slab getting broken off above ground and 'falling' per se seems a bit peculiar.

But could very well occur nonetheless, I don't know everything.

nah brahhh, although earthquakes are the main cause for tsunami's, landfalls, rockslides, flank collapses, and this slab breakage stuff can also cause tsunamis.

nah brahhh, although earthquakes are the main cause for tsunami's, landfalls, rockslides, flank collapses, and this slab breakage stuff can also cause tsunamis.

Well, not to split hairs, but wouldn't a wave triggered by an impact event (i.e. not pure tectonic activity, like the 'byproduct' of an earthquake breaking it off), make it a megatsunami?

If so, Mother of God is right...

Haha, I feel you Dwight :wink:

No doubt the guy is way smarter than me, but typically tsunamis are the product of slipping plates (or deep foci earthquakes) at subducting zones (where two collisions of crusts have force against one another and one is forced 'down'). The slippage downwards jolts the water upward and creates a wave (a bit more complicated, but it's that in a nutshell). So the idea of a slab getting broken off above ground and 'falling' per se seems a bit peculiar.

But could very well occur nonetheless, I don't know everything.

It's not slipping slabs causing the wave, it's the wrath of ancient gods. The slab is a metaphor for the true force.

Well, not to split hairs, but wouldn't a wave triggered by an impact event (i.e. not pure tectonic activity, like the 'byproduct' of an earthquake breaking it off), make it a megatsunami?

If so, Mother of God is right...

haha i dunno, I took a natural disasters elective this semester, I'm pretending to know what im talking about

haha i dunno, I took a natural disasters elective this semester, I'm pretending to know what im talking about

I feel ya brah, only working on a geology minor myself, so I'm in the same boat haha. Long shot, but I see you're on the east coast, you take that natural disasters class at McGill? I took that and it's where I go to school.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back