Most Underrated by Division (Zuffa Only)

Mike Pierce has had close competitive fights with nothing but elite WWs...Koscheck, Hendricks, Fitch etc. Crazy really how evenly matched a lot of WWs are and that Pierce has fought nothing but really tough talented competition.

I think Bisping's fight Sonnen proved that he is an elite MW which most posters on Sherdog seem to think he is all Zuffa marketing and favorable matchmaking. Look i dislike his antics and shit talk but he has skill.

I don't know whether Maia classifies as "underrated" but if he defeats Fitch thats three really solid wins over top WWs.

I don't think enough people are talking about Michael Chandler. I think the guy is better than Gray Maynard which pretty much puts him at the top/elite status, but with him in Bellator we have another Alvarez situation where we wont see him against the stacked talent in the UFCs LW division. Sucks really. Could he beat Bendo or Pettis?

Erik Koch has the potential to be one of the best at FW but with injury after injury and a real long layoff who knows how he will adapt and whether it will pan out for a title shot by the end of the year. Seems like others like Swanson are on the rise and really deserve to be thought of as contenders. Again another Bellator fighter like Pat Curran makes you wonder how'd he do against Lamas/Swanson/Koch etc.

Josh thomson

I hope he's knees remain injury free for a UFC run. He pretty much beat Melendez. It will be nice to see Healy, Masvidal, Thomson, and Melendez fighting against Lauzon, Varner, Cerrone, Pettis, Maynard, Diaz etc.

Mousassi is underrated IMO. Sure, you have your occasional fan-boy claiming he's the guy to beat Jones, but other than that, he gets very little love in these forums, and almost no casual fans even know who he is. Many talk as if Mo and Jardine handed him his ass to him; he lost to Mo cause he was banking on Mo gassing and he didnt, while doing more damage from the bottom anyway. Didnt see the Jardine fight, but I saw his(Jardine's) face after the fact, and he didnt look like a man who just went to a draw. Both of them are really good fighters anyway. The guy for sure has a few leaks in his game, but still underrated and the potential to be one of the best at 205 IMO.

155: Jamie Varner

always the dog and had two major upsets this year

plus was smashing J-Lauz before the 3rd round last ditch submission

Hendricks at 170

guy is the only real threat to GSP right now

guy would roll through Diaz IMO

185 - Bisping

He's a lot better then many fans give him credit for

but would be even better if he didn't foul the other fighter in his last 20 fights he won

205 - Jimmo

why isn't anyone saying his name

everyone doubted him when the UFC signed him

then he came out with the Quickest KO in UFC history (tie I believe)

Heavyweight - they all are equally as bad

I say Cain stays on top of the pile for 3 fights at least

Reem fold to pressure and strikes ( especially if he gets tagged like JDS)

JDS rushes into the re-match and gets whalloped again

Werdum gets KTFO by a sick combo of kicks and punches followed by gorilla pound

next 3 fights

155: Jamie Varner

always the dog and had two major upsets this year

plus was smashing J-Lauz before the 3rd round last ditch submission

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/60421505-post23.html

I've compared his career to Sonnen's and I'm sticking to that if he sticks with MMA.

I read in the discussion thread from last night that his record is deceptively good because he padded it off cans. The reality is it's deceptively bad because he got jobbed in decisions (Shalorus) and was leading quality opponents before succumbing to a mental lapse (Bendo, Franca, Roller). BTW, he still boasts some decent wins between Cerrone, Bongfeldt, McCullough, and Leggett.

Eventually his success throughout fights will lead to more quality and quantity on his win list. His pythagorean win/loss record, which they use to predict future outcomes in team sports based on scoring differential, has to much better than 18-6-1. A good example of pythagorean record proving valid was last year's Packers. They were 10-6 and the lowest seed in the NFC, but all 6 losses were by 4 or less points, so they still managed to have the best scoring differential in the NFC. Of course that team went on to not only win the NFC but also the Super Bowl. The turnaround for that team started when they won a close game on the final week of the regular season against the Bears. Similarly, I think Varner is poised to go on a tear after he gets a confidence builder from a close win or holds on for key victory.

Heavyweight - they all are equally as bad

I say Cain stays on top of the pile for 3 fights at least

Reem fold to pressure and strikes ( especially if he gets tagged like JDS)

JDS rushes into the re-match and gets whalloped again

Werdum gets KTFO by a sick combo of kicks and punches followed by gorilla pound

next 3 fights

Cain is a guy who I thought of who might still be underrated in spite of being champion. Getting knocked out on torn ACL took away his air of invincibility most champs have. He'd still probably have it if he postponed the fight.

185 - Bisping

He's a lot better then many fans give him credit for

but would be even better if he didn't foul the other fighter in his last 20 fights he won

Bisping is an interesting one. If people dislike him they tend to say he is horrible and way overrated, but when people like him they tend to say he is amazing and way underrated. There seem to be few people on here who rank him objectively.

I am not a fan of his personlaity, but he has definitely improved a ton since TUF. I think he can beat a lot of top MW's with his movement and boxing by out pointing them.

145: elkins
155: wiman, tibau is a good call though
170: pyle, pierce
185: herman
205: griffin

Bisping is an interesting one. If people dislike him they tend to say he is horrible and way overrated, but when people like him they tend to say he is amazing and way underrated. There seem to be few people on here who rank him objectively.

I am not a fan of his personlaity, but he has definitely improved a ton since TUF. I think he can beat a lot of top MW's with his movement and boxing by out pointing them.

good point, i feel sonnen is anther guy who very few evaluate objectively

205 - Jimmo

why isn't anyone saying his name

everyone doubted him when the UFC signed him

then he came out with the Quickest KO in UFC history (tie I believe)

Jimmo's last few fights before signing with the UFC were horrible. He knocked out Perosh, which isn't saying a whole lot. It's hard to say he's underrated after one KO win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back