Most Technical Fighter?

Millennium Man**

White Belt
Reaction score
floyd is as technical as you can get, but i think his reflexes have helped him much further in his success as a boxer.

pac is an athletic freak, has strength, speed and stamina, but he lacks the fundamentals in boxing. if he was a tad slower, i think he wouldn't be as successful as he is.

i know there are boxers out there who aren't naturally gifted with talent or athleticism, but you know they went far simply because of technique. JMM might be a great example (excellent counterpuncher who doesn't rely on athleticism), but are there other boxers who are fundamentally sound? or in other words, if you had to teach a kid how to box the right way, which boxer would you want him to emulate?

You talking currently or all-time?

If it's the latter, I consider Ricardo Lopez, Carlos Monzon, Charley Burly, all to be extremely technical, textbook fighters.

tumblr_mbbfswYjiF1rzv9tso1_500.jpg

Nazeem said Lopez, I'm sure somebody posted a vid of that round these parts not too long ago.

I'll throw in Andre Ward and Bernard Hopkins too.
Chad Dawson , Guillermo Rigondeaux , Erislandy Lara .
Leo Santa Cruz looks good.
Any of the European champs like Sebastian Zbik , Felix Sturm , Dzinzurik , Mathew Macklin , Darren Barker.
Nathan Cleverly looks good.
Benavides jr. Has good basics.

ATG ?

Ricardo 'finito' Lopez.

I'll throw in Andre Ward and Bernard Hopkins too.
Chad Dawson , Guillermo Rigondeaux , Erislandy Lara .
Leo Santa Cruz looks good.
Any of the European champs like Sebastian Zbik , Felix Sturm , Dzinzurik , Mathew Macklin , Darren Barker.
Nathan Cleverly looks good.
Benavides jr. Has good basics.

ATG ?

Ricardo 'finito' Lopez.

I don't know if I'd consider B-Hop as technical as Ward. Maybe I'm too used to seeing him in the latter half of his career....

James Toney and Bernard Hopkins "proved" that they were great technical fighters by consistently beating fighters who had physical advantages over them. Floyd seems to fight nearly flawlessly, but the real test would be if he could pull that off if he only had average speed.

A couple guys who don't get enough credit in these types of threads are Roberto Duran and Joe Louis. I know they had power, but they broke down guys as methodically as defensive aces like Pep and Whitaker nullified the offense of their opponents.

A couple guys who don't get enough credit in these types of threads are Roberto Duran and Joe Louis. I know they had power, but they broke down guys as methodically as defensive aces like Pep and Whitaker nullified the offense of their opponents.

Duran was a lot more technical than ppl know but he's hardly the guy you'd want someone to imitate.
His shit's advanced for even pros.

That said , I tried to list fighters who don't have overwhelming natural physical gifts like speed / power etc

Hopkins isn't a great technical fighter, he's more about spoiling and old school tricks. Don't get me wrong he throws a good right hand and has a good measure of distance, but that doesn't put him in the category of one of the greatest.

I say the same to people who say Wlad is a great technical fighter. His entire defense is based on taking two giant steps back every time his opponents move forward, and using his huge size to grab his opponents. That isn't great technical boxing.

Ricardo Lopez end the thread.

Duran is easily one of the best technical Boxers of all time.

And he ate steak by sticking a fork in the middle and biting chunks off it.

Hopkins isn't a great technical fighter, he's more about spoiling and old school tricks. Don't get me wrong he throws a good right hand and has a good measure of distance, but that doesn't put him in the category of one of the greatest.

I say the same to people who say Wlad is a great technical fighter. His entire defense is based on taking two giant steps back every time his opponents move forward, and using his huge size to grab his opponents. That isn't great technical boxing.

I dunno. I'd say his dirty fighting and cheap shots are pretty damn technical. He made a science out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back