Most Surprising Part of Melendez/Sanchez...

CageSage

Red Belt
Reaction score
The most shocking part to me was how it unfolded almost exactly how myself,numerous people on Sherdog, and mma pundits thought it would. Melendez being the more refined and quick of the two would control the pace and beat Sanchez to the punch. Sanchez would have his moments in the fight and remain aggressive throughout, but ultimately Melendez would would win a clear and exciting decision....the mix of Melendez's pressure and ferociousness and Sanchez's unwillingness to cease would clash resulting in a memorable fight, a strong FotN contender...

And it literally happened almost just like that. The fight lived up to the hype, lived up to each fighter's reputation, and the fight happened almost exactly in the same way alot of people thought it would.

With all of the letdowns and shocking finishes in the UFC, anybody else surprised that they weren't surprised by how this fight turned out?

People were asking why Diego had any business being in there in the first place, now they know.

You were shocked that something happened exactly as predicated by industry insiders and fanboys alike?

Ohhhh kay.

People were asking why Diego had any business being in there in the first place, now they know.

I agree, Melendez dominated wast majority of that fight but got drown in unnesecery exchanges and almost lost that fight.
It should not have been such a competitive match. Prop to sanchez for mind fucking with melendez

I agree, Melendez dominated wast majority of that fight but got drown in unnesecery exchanges and almost lost that fight.
It should not have been such a competitive match. Prop to sanchez for mind fucking with melendez

I almost shit myself when that happened.

You were shocked that something happened exactly as predicated by industry insiders and fanboys alike?

Ohhhh kay.

This. I get what you're trying to say but your phrasing is a bit off.
I.e. it's not a surprise at all if you, your friends sherdog, pretty much every mma outlet predicted this is how the fight would unfold.
Ps i thought the same thing, great fight!

Sanchez vs Garcia at 155lbs. Ufc resign garcia and have him move up to lw again for this fight. Would be an awesome fight.

This. I get what you're trying to say but your phrasing is a bit off.
I.e. it's not a surprise at all if you, your friends sherdog, pretty much every mma outlet predicted this is how the fight would unfold.
Ps i thought the same thing, great fight!

The thing is that how often to fights play out to the detail the vast majority expects? Almost never, most fights deemed as potential barnburners end up normal, the fights where "someone's definitely getting KO'd" often end up in nobody getting KO'd etc. This fight was predictable but in a way that was still great.

My casual MMA fan friends are huge Sanchez fans. I had a packed house tonight, when I told them this was going to look like BJ/Sanchez, it was like I stole their hearts. I'm glad the fight turned out so exciting anyways.

The thing is that how often to fights play out to the detail the vast majority expects? Almost never, most fights deemed as potential barnburners end up normal, the fights where "someone's definitely getting KO'd" often end up in nobody getting KO'd etc. This fight was predictable but in a way that was still great.

I agree with this post, i wasn't trying to nitpick. I remember a card called knockout (ufc 76?) Where there were zero knockouts.

The most surprising thing to me was that Melendez engaged in so many reckless exchanges. The uppercut knock-down almost cost him . . . I think if it hadn't have happened at one of the octagon poles/corners, Diego "may" have been able to finish with GnP, or if he hand't have gone for Gil's back. I actually thought the upset might happen (which I called).

Back