most potential least determination

BJ Penn. This is a rhetorical question broskie.

Like John Danaher said: "It's hard to get out of bed when you've got millions of dollars in your bank account and you have to go to the gym where people want to punch your head out."

That's what made GSP vs Penn II so intriguing. You have a kid who got bullied throughout school, grew up in the coldest environment. Poor family, hard working parents and child. Went to school for Kin and working as a garbage man. An elite athlete and fighter through hard work.

Then you have BJ Penn. He fought kids on the streets for fun. Lived in the warmest environment. Has sandy beaches, wealth, food, women, INSANE TALENT, had the warrior spirit, but lacked motivation to make his dreams come to fruition.

Kerr. More personal issues/demons than motivation but Kerr was a scary talent.

BJ Penn
Shogun
Wanderle

What's your reasoning behind these three? Just curious, I can understand (though don't agree) with people saying BJ, and I guess I can see Shogun to some extent, but not really enough to list him here. Wandy though, confuses me. The dude is a gym machine, who has always been extremely prepared and well conditioned for his fights. He, to me at least, certainly lived up to his potential and I never viewed his losses as lack of determination but more so the fact that he is now fighting a newer generation of fighters who know well his limits.

Just curious as to why you put those three I guess.

Mark Hunt. No question in my mind. If he started training hard right from 2004 and developed his TDD and sub defense that would have been a scary dude.

I wouldn't say BJ Penn... He was the champ and IMO no matter what kind of shape and however "unmotivated" or "motivated" he was he still loses most of the fights he lost.

I was thinking people more like Kang, Robbie Lawler, Vera. Although it's really hard to say as I have no idea how determined they were. Just seems like they could have been great and something was missing in them.

someone remember james "sandman" irvin?

ok, his drug abuse comes in mind, but he steamrolled the lhw devision until that crap and now hes fighting and losing to hardcore cans and nobodys

Back