Most entertaining pre-1960's wrestler...?

Kforcer

Dragon Slayer
@Gold
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on this? I love watching Lou Thesz, both for his slick and destructive submission technique but also for stuff like his powerbomb--I liked how his set-ups and finishes made it seem more like a variation of a Greco-Roman suplex, which is where he said he derived it from (his dad was a successful amateur wrestler in Europe and I think he might have alluded to getting it from him). His power-bomb kinda reminded me of a Razor's Edge at times and I really enjoyed his backslide to powerbomb finish. I also liked that there was variation in his finishes rather than simply sticking the same move every time. I think the fact that he did largely legit submission holds and executed them to such perfection gives his style a timelessness, because a lot of what he does will always be relatable to some degree.

I like what I saw of Londos, I liked his mix of technical wrestling--the guy tapped someone with a arm-triangle choke in one of his matches--with a high-paced, sometimes acrobatic style. And like Thesz, I think he could tell a story very well. There's many more that I enjoy, obviously, but I just thought I'd throw these two names out there. There are a ton of French guys I enjoy watching, but I can never remember names. The way they blended high-flying and technical wrestling reminded me a bit of some Battlarts.

Back