Most entertaining in ring & least entertaining promo & vice versa?

unclemilty

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What fighters do you feel have the combination of being the most entertaining fighters to watch while they are in the ring tearing ass while at the same time giving the least entertaining interviews/promos?

And how about the opposite? Most entertaining promos/interviews while abstaining from violence.

Robbie Lawler comes to mind for the former. The man has to be the most vapid interview I have ever seen. I respect the hell out of him for not talking trash and repeating his mantra (i.e. focusing on himself and becoming a better fighter) but from an entertainment/hype perspective, he lacks charisma. Contrast that with his in the ring performances; the man delivers the ol'ultra-violence while at the same time receiving his share in due course. He doesn't seem to give a fuck about taking a beating, and the way he stared down Big Rigg after fight #2 / Macdonald after round4 of their last fight was the peak of competitive intensity. STILLLLLLLLLL!

The polar opposite of this?

Chael Sonnen.

Although he eventually got repetitive, his promo work was the best in the business. He stood on the promotional shoulders of a "pre jebus" Rampage (who I always found entertaining) and ran to greater heights. At the same time, his fighting style wasn't exactly thrilling given he was a great wrestler with zero knockout power.

I'm sure there are better examples of both categories out these... can you think of any?

Muhammad Ali was the best combination of both.
Most entertaining promos but least exciting in ring - Tito and Chael
Most exciting in ring while lacking promo skills - Fedor

Most athletes have the personality of a wet potato.
This is true on every level from grade school to the pros.
It is rare to get someone in there with charisma and charm.

Back