Most emotionally charged movie fights

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Most of the emotion in movie fight scenes tends to involve anger, usually because someone killed the other's partner, father, wife, etc. and they must be avenged.

But to me there's an even more interesting dynamic that's used far less frequently, and that is that the fight occurs between two people who love each other.

The best example of this to me is Anakin vs Obi-Wan in revenge is the sith. I know there are major flaws in that movie but Lucas really nailed the emotion in that final fight. You could really feel Kenobi's soul being crushed by having to fight and kill his "little brother" (at least he believed he was killing him at the time).

A very close runner up to me is the final fight in kill bill vol 2. It's clear that Bill still loves Beatrix and doesn't want to kill her, but at the same time, he's a selfish bastard and you really aren't sure if his sense of self preservation took over and he fought his hardest, or if his love for her made him lose on purpose.

And the best part is how she immediately breaks down in tears after doing the death touch on him, because in many ways she still loves him as well. This is the man that has been a great father to her daughter for years now. A man who very obviously regrets what he did to her. A man who she in some ways feels guilty for betraying since he was always good to her until she broke his heart. And perhaps most important, a man who potentially just sacrificed his own life so she could finally find happiness.

Anyhoo, those are my two favorite emotionally charged fight scenes. Would love to hear about yours.

Stallone vs. Sonny Landham in Lock Up.

Lincoln Hawk vs. John Grizzly II in Over the Top.

Kung fu movies are great at this. Real Hong Kong kung fu movies, not any watered down Hollywood versions.

For example, Once Upon a Time in China. The big showdown between Jet Li’s Wong Fei Hung hero and the “Iron Vest” master Yim.

We wait the whole movie for these two masters to fight. Over the course of the movie, we understand Master Yim is not an evil man - but he is fighting for evil men. He is misguided because he is only caring about his survival and his lost dignity. He is out of place because his martial arts have no status in the era of colonial China.

When he is finally killed (not by Wong Fei Hung), it is not just the death of an enemy, but the death of an era, when martial arts mastery meant something. He dedicated his life to martial arts, but he was shot down like a wild dog.

Last edited:
The same thing with Hong Kong “gun fu” movies. The John Woo era. Always something emotional and operatic behind the violence.

In Hard Boiled, Mad Dog is the hardest killer on the side of the Triad boss Johnny Wong. Mad Dog is the biggest threat to the cops, his gun skills are superior to Tequila or Alan.

But in the climactic hospital battle, there is a moment when Alan and Mad Dog realize there are innocent patients around them... and they both put down their guns. Because the fight should be between them, cops and criminals, not civilians.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zer
Even Stephen Chow’s comedy homage to Kung Fu movies - Kung Fu Hustle - has a great emotional fight.

Sing is a loser for the whole movie. But in the end, when he finds his power and demonstrates the Buddha Palm, there is a great serenity to him.

He does not even destroy The Beast. He just shows his power and asks if the Beast wants to be his student. Sing’s victory is so complete, The Beast falls to his knees and calls him master.

Last edited:
Kind of random, but I did really enjoy "Chronicle"
The one friend ended up going mad and stopped seeing others as actual people while the other was desperately trying to stop his friend from hurting others.

I'm stumped for other ideas right now.

Rocky. I think this should just be the simple answer and the question should be, aside from Rocky, .........................................
Aside from that Cinderella man.

Final fight in Gladiator is a good one. Maximus is broken down and on the verge of death, but he finally gets his chance at revenge. And it’s a super satisfying kill.

Not really a fight per se, but I really like the scene in Minority Report when the dude who kidnapped Tom’s son walks in the hotel room. The way he looks at him and just charges him is well done.

Kind of random, but I did really enjoy "Chronicle"
The one friend ended up going mad and stopped seeing others as actual people while the other was desperately trying to stop his friend from hurting others.

I'm stumped for other ideas right now.
I really dug this movie , they did a good job showing how he was slowly corrupted with power .
I wish they went with the original idea they had about how he was supposed to kill Richard by splitting him apart like the insect .

Back