most effective part of your leg to use for body kick

S.D.Force

Blue Belt
Reaction score
normally i don't think you would want to purposely use the middle or lower part of your shin for something like a low leg kick. Many a fighters shin bone has been snapped after a blocked kick in this fashion.

But i was thinking that during a roundhouse to the body, to a vital area just below the ribs and above the waist would be optimally effective if using the lower part of the shin bond just above the ankle, as opposed to the crease/bend in the top of the ankle. That lower part of your shin bone won't break when hitting a softer surface and it seems like that would cause much more damage.

anybody have any comments on various parts of your leg/shin you would use for various kicks to specific areas so as to maximize effectiveness and minimize damage to yourself.

Obviously you shoul kick with the thickest part of your shin for every kick, headkicks possibly excluded...

the thickest part of your shin is closer to the knee, I doubt anybody aims to strike with that portion of the leg. If you did, you would have to be a lot closer to the opponent and in better range to be counter punched.

When you are up close, you are unable to use a full extension. Striking with the upper portion of the leg below the knee is a good idea. It will allow you to lean back and get your leg inside. Watch some Thai fights and you will see them do that alot. The entire leg should be conditioned, not just portions.

Back