Most by the book ufc fighter ever?

Probably Franklin or Bisping. I've seen a lot of their fights, and I never once saw either guy do a flying or spinning anything, nor do have they ever tried any crazy submissions. Stipe fits in this category too, but I think he uses an even smaller arsenal of skills.
Ping learnt that Question Mark kick though from Rockhold
fNf0cTi8VjbbO.gif

Good find! Yeah, come to think of it, his combos did look really good in his second fight against Hendo. Still, his style was always on the conservative side. Nothing wrong with it, though; he won a lot of fights along with a championship just using the basics.

there is no book like this.
but to entertain your question, I'd say..
Jim Miller.

Reactions: G10
Erik Silva, or something

Frankie Edgar. He’s the textbook wrestle-boxer but also has good BJJ. Doesn’t rely much on any physical trait aside from maybe cardio and his chin but part of both of those comes from not wasting much energy.

My initial thought was Matt Hughes. He had one strength i.e. wrestling (well, he also had his literal strength), and everything he did he did to get the fight into that area. Almost all of his finishes came from overwhelming GNP or basic but solid submissions. And to finish of his by-the-book'ness he eventually slowed down enough that he started getting hit hard before being able to dictate where the fight took place, leading to multiple knockout losses.

All around, probably GSP.

If it was just straight up striking, particularly kickboxing, I say Cowboy Cerrone. It's why I feel he won more matches than he lost but he could never get to the very top of the mountain because he lacked that je ne sai quoi to put him over. Every combo was by the book, every counter was as you would throw to a strike

I'd say Frankie Edgar too. Good hands, wrestling, movement, and jiu jitsu. He knows how to win fights by points, and also shows he's capable of finishing opponents. What makes him great though is he has huge heart.

Back