More injuries in gi or no gi?

I have been injured doing everything and judging by my class/teammates every else does too.

In my personal experience the correct answer is heavier, stronger white belts. Gi or nogi doesn't matter as much.

I have never got injured except for sore hands in gi , but as far as my experience I get into weird positions in NoGi more than with the Gi so I guess I’m more prone to injuries in NoGi.

I got most of my injuries doing nogi. Nowadays I will even skip nogi class if I'm hurting a little bit.

Only injury that took a couple months I got after trying to do takedowns and wall wrestling after watching a Dillon Danis and Conor video before training in the last roll in class while doing like 3 hours+ training straight (go and then nogi with a lot of rolling). Got thrown on the shoulder while doing a knee pick horribly wrong (stepping over a whizzer a bit). Super stupid in retrospect.

In termsof bjj i have yet to notice a difference.

Noticed a major difference between judo and wrestling though.

My worst injuries are all from Judo. Wrestling and no-gi I've only ever gotten seriously hurt once outside of competition, and that was an injury that could have just as easily have happened in the gi. With the gi I've never really gotten injured, but I find the overuse injuries of gi BJJ (fingers and back mostly) to be worse than anything I get no-gi. Once you develop some strength and flexibility in your neck no-gi's pretty easy on the body.

My worst injuries are all from Judo. Wrestling and no-gi I've only ever gotten seriously hurt once outside of competition, and that was an injury that could have just as easily have happened in the gi. With the gi I've never really gotten injured, but I find the overuse injuries of gi BJJ (fingers and back mostly) to be worse than anything I get no-gi. Once you develop some strength and flexibility in your neck no-gi's pretty easy on the body.
That's been my experience as well. The only injuries I've sustained in no-gi have been more surface injuries like bruises or cuts from catching more stray elbows or knees if lower belts are flailing a little more.

Torn acl and slaptear from nogi. All injuries that could have happened in gi.

Back