Montreal BJJ?

kpaxx

Dig up stupid!
@Green
Reaction score
Hi there all :) I'm pretty sure this is my first thread ever. The reason I am making this thread is because I want to take some BJJ. About 2 years ago; I had a Pilondial sinus on my tailbone thus leaving me unable to walk or train (duh) for about 9 months. I really want to start training again, I don't have much BJJ experience, I've rolled with buddies/instructors without any formal training, so I know a couple of things but not enough to be comfortable. So after my full recovery, I wanted to get back into it but started working till 3am thus making it impossible. I've finally left my job and doing school only so I have tons of time on my hands. Can anyone point me in the right direction here? I would like to take classes 3 times a week with a credible school in a friendly environment if possible.

Any help/ideas is appreciated. I also want to do some boxing but this is not exactly the boxing forum so I won't ask help there.

I don't have much BJJ experience, I've rolled with buddies/instructors without any formal training, so I know a couple of things but not enough to be comfortable.
Not enough to be comfortable? Trust me, if you don't have any formal training, you probably don't know anything.

I think there are a couple of excellent schools in Montreal, like TriStar with Firas Zahabi and BTT Canada with Fabio Holanda. Good luck

Not enough to be comfortable? Trust me, if you don't have any formal training, you probably don't know anything.

I think there are a couple of excellent schools in Montreal, like TriStar with Firas Zahabi and BTT Canada with Fabio Holanda. Good luck

I can live with that, I know how to put a few subs and that's about it. The only thing I really have is a few years of wrestling.

I will check them out, input is appreciated

Firas teaches BJJ for MMA so far as I know. There's a BJJ class tues, thurs, and saturdays with Bruno Fernandes as well. Bruno taught my instructor back in Brazil, so I've pretty much made up my mind that Tristar is where I'll be going.

BTT would be an awesome choice too however. Fabio Holanda is an excellent practictioner. They also do Submission grappling with the Montreal Wrestling club(nobody's corrected me on this point so far, and i swear i saw it on their website).

You can go to GAMMA and try a BJJ class for free, its located on mayor street near metro place des arts. You can see the schedule on their website : http://www.montrealmartialarts.com/newenglish/schedule.html
Have a look you'll see theres a lot of BJJ classes, GI and no GI as well as wrestling. The instructor is Fabio Holanda and GAMMA is home of BTT Canada so its a great place for BJJ in Motnreal. You can also do some boxing there.

Ive been training there for a couple months and just started BJJ some time ago, I would definately recommend the school, its a great place, the schedule is flexible as you can go and train pretty much whenever you feel like it and the people are very friendly.

Send me a PM if you'd like to get more info!

You can go to GAMMA and try a BJJ class for free, its located on mayor street near metro place des arts. You can see the schedule on their website : http://www.montrealmartialarts.com/newenglish/schedule.html
Have a look you'll see theres a lot of BJJ classes, GI and no GI as well as wrestling. The instructor is Fabio Holanda and GAMMA is home of BTT Canada so its a great place for BJJ in Motnreal. You can also do some boxing there.

Ive been training there for a couple months and just started BJJ some time ago, I would definately recommend the school, its a great place, the schedule is flexible as you can go and train pretty much whenever you feel like it and the people are very friendly.

Send me a PM if you'd like to get more info!

Thanks, PM sent.

I tried going to TriStar's site, unfortunately I'm getting mad mysql errors all over. Has anyone heard of BJJ Montreal Revolution?

www.montrealbjj.com seems like a legit place, im moving to montreal in august, not sure if im going with BTT or rev, I heard that with BTT it's a less personal Bjj class since a lot of people train there, or could anyone give more info / inside opinion on this!

www.montrealbjj.com seems like a legit place, im moving to montreal in august, not sure if im going with BTT or rev, I heard that with BTT it's a less personal Bjj class since a lot of people train there, or could anyone give more info / inside opinion on this!

I havent been to rev, but I can tell you that the classes at GAMMA (home of BTT) are far from impersonal, the instructors are very accessible and they will definately help you personally. Id say give both school a try and you'll see which one you prefer.

I train at mtlbjj. Great place, very friendly. The teacher is a 2 stripe black belt. Solid browns and purples too.

I train at mtlbjj. Great place, very friendly. The teacher is a 2 stripe black belt. Solid browns and purples too.

How are prices there? Do they also offer any of stand up training? It looks like a real cool place but if I can, I'd like to train both my standup and BJJ in 1 gym.

does any one know which school in Montreal offers youth/kid BJJ classes?

How are prices there? Do they also offer any of stand up training? It looks like a real cool place but if I can, I'd like to train both my standup and BJJ in 1 gym.

Theres a bag hanging, and we'll do some stand up drills here and there, but probably not what ur looking for in terms of stand up specifics. Cheap prices though.. i see a couple of guys training somewhere else for stand up and at our school for grappling.

From what I know, the best places where you have access to both are BTT canada, tristar and H20.

Definitely H2O is a great, if not best option to train in both disciplines. They have a world class bjj program, led by BJJ Black Belt "Mike Lee" & MMA, Muay Thai & Boxing training with pro fighter "Richard Ho." These two are the most friendly and down to earth guys you could ever meet. That combined with their "kick ass" skills makes for an incredible training environment.
Check them out. http://www.h2oma.com

10th Planet Montreal is taking over. Go there.

See if Bruno Fernandes is back from Brazil yet. I know he was going back home for a few months, but should be back in Montreal now (or soon). Find out where he is training and go there. His BJJ is sick.

Check out his video vs. Andre Galvao on youtube. Not too many people last a whole BJJ match vs Galvao

Tristar teaches BJJ for MMA (includes wrestling and judo) and there's a GI class taught on saturdays by Bruno.

Tristar also has boxing, muay thai, kick boxing all under one roof.

I'd suggest coming to check it out, but things are gonna changed around (structurally) for instance we're getting new mats, a new octagon etc. in the coming months.

Definitely H2O is a great, if not best option to train in both disciplines. They have a world class bjj program, led by BJJ Black Belt "Mike Lee" & MMA, Muay Thai & Boxing training with pro fighter "Richard Ho." These two are the most friendly and down to earth guys you could ever meet. That combined with their "kick ass" skills makes for an incredible training environment.
Check them out. http://www.h2oma.com

I had never heard of this place. Is it new ?

I'm not implying that it is a mcDojo or anything, but the website doesn't give me a very good impression.

That (Georgian??) wrestling instructor looks bad ass, though.

I had never heard of this place. Is it new ?

I'm not implying that it is a mcDojo or anything, but the website doesn't give me a very good impression.

That (Georgian??) wrestling instructor looks bad ass, though.

its not new thats for sure since I trained there in 2004 or something but back then it was only no gi and run by both Ho brothers. Now only Richard Ho is there but they have Mike Lee for gi class like some else mentioned. They are legit dont worry.

There is quite a few good place in montreal depending what your looking for. My gym is located on the southshore and while being smaller than Gamma for example I find the atmosphere so much better (no offense to gamma, just a personal preference) and much more newbie friendly. Run by Syl Moroney(Royler gracie BB) if you are interested.

Back