Montanha comments on Eddie Bravo

-Montanha-

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Montanha, author of "the Techniques of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu". Nicknamed by the GracieFighter Academy, "the Jiu-jitsu Bible"

I first subscribed to Sherdog forums because of a incident with a "Troll" that brought some of the worst a human can come up with, to my home team's website forums.

I was just a small focus of his insults and he quickly backed off on me probably because I know everybody in the Bay Area jiu-jitsu community and am still friends with people he was hiding behind trying to cause division. But he raged on further into other base topics. Subsequently he was tracked down and exposed.

That experience and Eddie's publishers marketing style, took me from the quiet behind the scenes coach/jiu-jitsu book author to a militant posting here to split hairs about jiu-jitsu's origins and other stupid bullshit.

I began jiu-jitsu back in the day when Eddie did and am an expert and author as well, from that First generation of American Jiu-jitsu players, but of a different personality than Eddie.

It has been much more a market study for me than anything else, to look into the conversations of the people whom[buy instructionals]that I was writing to[the audience] in my book, and found out and confirmed mostly what I already knew of people from coaching jiu-jitsu at the GracieFighter Academy.

Sorry for the anticipation here "CashBill52", but I was banned for fighter bashing Chris Leban on the Heavyweights[the only time I posted there]

So here is my opinion/comment on Eddie Bravo and his Rubber Guard..............To the readers here!......

Shut the fuck up and Train!!!

Train and learn a complete smart game that is effective and suits you.

The last honest place on Earth is a "No-Time Limit" roll on the jiu-jitsu mat.

Montanha

I'm always up for new ideas. I just bought the mastering of the rubber guard and it's a real good instructional.

I'm confused Montanha, what's going on?

CashBill52 tried to egg me on into that argument in the "Joe Rogan and Rubber Guard" thread. Didnt want my post to get lost in the middle of a bunch of knothead posts, LOL

CashBill52 tried to egg me on into that argument in the "Joe Rogan and Rubber Guard" thread. Didnt want my post to get lost in the middle of a bunch of knothead posts, LOL

I thought it was a good discussion I think the terminology we use is important. I consider you one of the experts. I thought you could give us your thoughts. I think the rivalry between our schools is dead now. I think everybody is cool for the most part. We should all hang out with a peace pipe.

...well, maybe not...

So, should we go gi or gi less? j/k

I thought it was a good discussion I think the terminology we use is important. I consider you one of the experts. I thought you could give us your thoughts. I think the rivalry between our schools is dead now. I think everybody is cool for the most part. We should all hang out with a peace pipe.

...well, maybe not...

So, should we go gi or gi less? j/k

rivalry?

Rivalry of who invented what..recognition, mainly ego stuff. I think everything is somewhat cool now. Joe Rogan (as far as I know) has only said positive things about our fighters. (Diaz bros., Shields, Melendez)

There was never a rivalry between our students/fighters.

You have to stop by the academy and train to hear those stories.

About Eddie tho, he is ok. He gives props to Dave Terrell for being the first legit No-Gi academy and the guy is makin a living training, cant beat that. Me, I just couldnt be around Joe Rogan every day. Chris Sanford introduced me to Joe back in the day at Nick's fight with Robbie.

i'm tired and i had my evening's glass of wine, so i am a little off with my thoughts. anyways, i agree with the sentiment of just train. i will further it by saying until you have a good solid bjj game based on fundamentals, train the basics ad nauseum, it will help you more than any fancy named new shit that "excites" you.

i'm tired and i had my evening's glass of wine, so i am a little off with my thoughts. anyways, i agree with the sentiment of just train. i will further it by saying until you have a good solid bjj game based on fundamentals, train the basics ad nauseum, it will help you more than any fancy named new shit that "excites" you.

Thanks for postin in the thread!

Reminds me tho, I told this joke to a friend today;

"What three words every man wishes he could say?"

"Hi, Im Batman"

Ok, I see, I thought you and CashBill trained at the same place. I guess that's what I get for assuming.

you should have joined the other thread, it was good fun.

p.s.
I've never been tapped by anybody with any technique from the rubber guard, nor have I even felt in much danger from there. I did roll with Eddie Bravo and he tapped me using regular straight up no gi bjj. He swept me with butterfly guard, not anything from half guard and lockdown, submitted me from side control with an arm triangle, nothing from monkey mount or twister side control or whatever. I was a blue belt at the time and it was shortly after Eddie submitted Royler.

Good thread:

There is NO one great system that will destroy all other BJJ systems..Learn what works for you!!

best thing about jiu-jitsu is there is SO MUCH out there that you can pick and choose what works best for you an your body type.

As long as you train hard and are open to learning new things, you will always improve.

This whole Eddie Bravo thing just shows how good of a teacher and marketer he is: he's created a system of weird moves that about 25% of people are flexible enough to do, and now everybody is talking about it and trying it out.

I wish all positions in jujitsu were explained and organized as well as Eddie's rubber guard game. The truth is that there is almost a whole book on the rubber guard, but I'm still waiting for the books on the armbar, the triangle, the RNC...

I wish all positions in jujitsu were explained and organized as well as Eddie's rubber guard game. The truth is that there is almost a whole book on the rubber guard, but I'm still waiting for the books on the armbar, the triangle, the RNC...

+1

Back