Monster Hunter...Enlighten Me

Played a bit more today. I'm not sure how much I like the long battles. They seem to be artificially lengthened by having them run away once you get them down to a certain point. I'm wondering if this is where the multiplayer comes into play, as players could lay down traps and whatever as the monsters attempt to flee. Not a big deal, but it can get annoying. I'm also not exactly sure about the hit boxes, and where some enemies' weak points are. Seems like I hit the same area, and get different results. Sometimes my weapon bounces off their armor, and sometime it hits. There doesn't seem to be any consistency, but maybe it's just the large weapon I'm using.

It hasn't hooked me yet, but it's still pretty fun all in all though.

Played a bit more today. I'm not sure how much I like the long battles. They seem to be artificially lengthened by having them run away once you get them down to a certain point. I'm wondering if this is where the multiplayer comes into play, as players could lay down traps and whatever as the monsters attempt to flee. Not a big deal, but it can get annoying. I'm also not exactly sure about the hit boxes, and where some enemies' weak points are. Seems like I hit the same area, and get different results. Sometimes my weapon bounces off their armor, and sometime it hits. There doesn't seem to be any consistency, but maybe it's just the large weapon I'm using.

It hasn't hooked me yet, but it's still pretty fun all in all though.

there are things you can do to prevent them from running.

Anything that flies can be brought down immediately with your flare gun (think that’s what it was. Don’t remember) for example. Targeting different part of the monster will net you different parts of the monster for crafting.

there are things you can do to prevent them from running.

Anything that flies can be brought down immediately with your flare gun (think that’s what it was. Don’t remember) for example.

Yeah, I was mainly venting about that rock headed monster guy you fight when the second big area is introduced. Guy was incredibly annoying. Not only could I not get any solid strategy going, because his weak spots seemed random. I'd hit him in the same area, and sometimes I would cut through and do big damage, and other times my weapon would bounce off the same spot. It took forever to make a dent in him. There didn't seem to be any consistent vulnerable spot on him. Then on top of that, he just fucks off when you've whittled him down, and you have to follow him to the next spot and do the same shit again. I put that down to me still being fairly green at the game though. I'm sure with time I'll figure out some tricks to gain more of advantage.

What I'm really not a fan of right now though, is that T-Rex monster in the first area. I swear, he's every monster's daddy, and when they get hurt they just run to wherever the fuck he is, and you have to wait for the monster to go to another area, or for the T-Rex to leave. In a way, I like the randomness of other monsters getting involved and causing you to rethink your approach. On the other hand though, it seems less and less random when every monster seems to run to this guy whenever they're in trouble, and the T-Rex never attacks them and always goes after me. It starts to feel like it's a programmed safe space for the monsters, rather than a random encounter.

Early game problems, though.

Yeah, I was mainly venting about that rock headed monster guy you fight when the second big area is introduced. Guy was incredibly annoying. Not only could I not get any solid strategy going, because his weak spots seemed random. I'd hit him in the same area, and sometimes I would cut through and do big damage, and other times my weapon would bounce off the same spot. It took forever to make a dent in him. There didn't seem to be any consistent vulnerable spot on him. Then on top of that, he just fucks off when you've whittled him down, and you have to follow him to the next spot and do the same shit again. I put that down to me still being fairly green at the game though. I'm sure with time I'll figure out some tricks to gain more of advantage.

What I'm really not a fan of right now though, is that T-Rex monster in the first area. I swear, he's every monster's daddy, and when they get hurt they just run to wherever the fuck he is, and you have to wait for the monster to go to another area, or for the T-Rex to leave. In a way, I like the randomness of other monsters getting involved and causing you to rethink your approach. On the other hand though, it seems less and less random when every monster seems to run to this guy whenever they're in trouble, and the T-Rex never attacks them and always goes after me. It starts to feel like it's a programmed safe space for the monsters, rather than a random encounter.

Weapon bouncing is related to weapon sharpness. As your weapon dulls, the odds of a bounce back go up. Certain monsters like Barroth have high armor and most of the weapons available in the early game don't have high enough sharpness to reliably strike. The hammer is pretty easy to get the hang of and the charge attacks will go through high armor, same with the great sword.

As for the TRex dude, you can scare off any unwanted guests with a dung bomb. Just toss one at the monster and they should leave shortly.

If you haven't tried the Great Sword yet, I recommend giving it a go. It may seem slow at first but it's one of the more mobile weapons. When it's unsheathed you'll move like a turtle, but it's meant to be swung, resheathed, ad run away for quick in and out strikes. Rolling right after a hit cancels the swing recovery animations so my attack patterns are usually position to punish an attack, charge swing, roll away, sheath, reposition.

As you get better with monster patterns and windows of opportunity you can start using the great sword charge combos and do absolutely ludicrous amounts of damage .

I’ve found success with the “T-Rex” with Hunters Rifle 3 and normal ammo 1, which works a bit like a SMG.

Just keep rolling behind it and shooting its underbelly.

I died a lot fighting it with bow, hbg and lance. It’s an absolute pain.

try getting some watermoss for your slinger ammo it will wash off the barroth mud armour making it easier to do damage

Weapon bouncing is related to weapon sharpness. As your weapon dulls, the odds of a bounce back go up. Certain monsters like Barroth have high armor and most of the weapons available in the early game don't have high enough sharpness to reliably strike. The hammer is pretty easy to get the hang of and the charge attacks will go through high armor, same with the great sword.

Ahh', okay, that makes sense. I noticed the "sharpness" stat with the weapons, but wasn't sure if it was the overall stat, or just reading what the weapon was currently at and that they just needed a sharpening. I'm still very much wrapping my head around the all the systems at play.

I'm definitely going to give something else a go next time I play. The long sword is kinda boring.

Ahh', okay, that makes sense. I noticed the "sharpness" stat with the weapons, but wasn't sure if it was the overall stat, or just reading what the weapon was currently at and that they just needed a sharpening. I'm still very much wrapping my head around the all the systems at play.

I'm definitely going to give something else a go next time I play. The long sword is kinda boring.

The Long Sword is my back up for fast monsters. It's moveset is super versitile. I can't remember the buttons, but it has a combo that does 2 overhead slashes(great for cutting tails off), then if hit the 2 attack buttons it does a wide sweep with a backwards hop that creates good distance.

Also as you attack, it builds up a spirit meter. As it fills you can unleash a spirit combo that powers through high armor. If the last hit connects it powers up the weapon on a timer and it will increase the damage.

Definitely check all the weapons out, but the long Sword is a beast.

Stuck with the Long Sword. Beat that mud slinging bastard in the swamps. No faints. Now I think the game is getting serious, though. My next mission is that T-Rex motherfucker that's been haunting me this whole time(I think so, anyways. I recognize the name). Even the NPC's are saying this ain't no joke, and I should get a party together...

NEVER! I'm doing this solo. This cunt is mine!

Stuck with the Long Sword. Beat that mud slinging bastard in the swamps. No faints. Now I think the game is getting serious, though. My next mission is that T-Rex motherfucker that's been haunting me this whole time(I think so, anyways. I recognize the name). Even the NPC's are saying this ain't no joke, and I should get a party together...

I beat that mud slinging thing first time round with the Battle Rifle lbg.

TRMF'er is a real pain and hits hard. Try to get around it and aim for its underbelly. Also, bring potions.

After playing the 3DS games a little bit a few weeks before this released, I bought it day one and haven't played since then. Not that I don't love it, it's absolutely incredible, just haven't had the time to commit to learning everything and sitting down with the game. Not having space on my PS4 and a tiny TV also kept me away from it.

Hopefully I haven't missed to much. I jumped back in today for the first time since it dropped and took down a Great Jagras in an attempt to get my bearings back. I may have won the battle but I definitely have no idea what I'm doing lol. I have a lot to learn and relearn.

Do a lot of people still play and is there a lot I missed that I won't be able to experience? I'm still really bummed I didn't get to the 3DS games while they had a playerbase because there's a ton of charm to them, I don't want to make that mistake with World.

is there a lot I missed that I won't be able to experience?

I think you're okay on that front. They hold events throughout the year in which most of the old event quests come back. They have a spring event on right now which usually will give you access to past quests to get special skins and all that, but I think there are level requirements for some of those. I think some of the other stuff they added opens up for you later in the game, if I remember.

It all comes back though, several times a year.

Barroths weak points are his T. rex arms. And you can shoot flash pods to stop any monster from fleeing.

This actually sounds cool to me. I am a Diablo/Borderlands fan. Is the loot system at all like Diablo?

And how much content is there in the game?
The loot is crafting materials only. This game couldn't be less like diablo if it tried.

The basic gameplay loop is do a main mission (which is usually just an introduction to a new monster) then do the same side missions over and over (again just killing the same monsters to get crafting materials) upgrading gear then doing it all over again with new monsters. The frustrating part for me is the world is static and after you kill what you needed to kill you leave the mission area go to the hub and go back to reset the world so you can do it again.

The basic gameplay loop is do a main mission (which is usually just an introduction to a new monster) then do the same side missions over and over (again just killing the same monsters to get crafting materials) upgrading gear then doing it all over again with new monsters. The frustrating part for me is the world is static and after you kill what you needed to kill you leave the mission area go to the hub and go back to reset the world so you can do it again.

Yeah, I have to admit that the repetition is already setting in, and the loop isn't as addictive as I thought it'd be. It gets tedious rather fast. Victory is sweet, but the rewards are lacking to make it all worthwhile. It's a unique game though, I'll give it that. I can see the appeal, but after spending a decent amount of time with it, I think it's setting in that it's just not for me. It just isn't clicking.

Wait till you face off against Kirin (it's a unicorn)...

Back