Monsanto weed killer kills crops in adjacent farms.

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Heard this on Public Broadcasting a few weeks ago.

Monsanto markets a commercial potent weedkiller called Dicamba. This weedkiller has been killing soy bean crops in farms NOT using the product. It drifts over from farms that are using the product. Monsanta's solution is for farmers to buy their gmo soy bean seed that they specifically engineered to resist this weedkiller.

Monsanto blames the farmers who are using their Dicamba weedkiller for not applying the product per Monsanto's recommendation. But critics point out that farmers have been following the instructions and still Dicamba drifts over into adjoining farms because when it gets above a certain temp and certain conditions are met, the product will drift over no matter how faithfully the farmer follows Monsanto's application directive. Critics point out that this is an inherent design in the weedkiller.

Dicamba was developed because farmers , especially in the South, were using a lot of roundup, which consequently led to roundup resistant weeds.

TL : DR

-Monsanto manufacturers and sells a potent commerical weedkiller called Dicamba.

Farmer using Dicamba can't control the dispersal of the product due to a design flaw in how Dicamba reacts to hot conditions.

-Monanto says to buy their genetically engineered soy bean seed that is resistant to Dicamba. In other words: Problem and solution both from Monsanto. Even though you as a farmer are not using Dicamba, your neighbor might be, and consequently it is killing your crops because the product can't be contained to just the user's farm.

-
Mother Jones talks about this.
http://www.motherjones.com/food/201...dkiller-is-also-killing-their-soybean-plants/

Last edited:
This isn't going to get enough attention, but this is a valuable thread.

This isn't going to get enough attention, but this is a valuable thread.
Thanks
I thought it was interesting and a break from the usual threads on : Vegas, race, guns, Trump, SJWs/Antifa, Islam

My phone is about to die, I will contribute much more to this thread later.

I can tell you that I've personally seen chemical drift killing soybeans before.

And we eat this shit
Not if the soybean was killed lol.

Also chemicals tend to cycle out of a plant (depending on the plant), within about 3 weeks. It's the same principle that states that you have to take more than one Tylenol/Advil/Asprin across your entire lifetime to treat all headaches. At some point the chemical has worked its way out of the system.

What exactly is wrong with eating herbicides? Round Up is delicious, though I haven't tried this new flavor.
One cup of Roundup herbicide is actually far less toxic than a full shaker of salt.

The only reason we don't consciously consider that amount of salt as toxic, is because the human tongue is designed to find salt, sugar, and fat.

Heard this on Public Broadcasting a few weeks ago.

Monsanto markets a commercial potent weedkiller called Dicamba. This weedkiller has been killing soy bean crops in farms NOT using the product. It drifts over from farms that are using the product. Monsanta's solution is for farmers to buy their gmo soy bean seed that they specifically engineered to resist this weedkiller.

Monsanto blames the farmers who are using their Dicamba weedkiller for not applying the product per Monsanto's recommendation. But critics point out that farmers have been following the instructions and still Dicamba drifts over into adjoining farms because when it gets above a certain temp and certain conditions are met, the product will drift over no matter how faithfully the farmer follows Monsanto's application directive. Critics point out that this is an inherent design in the weedkiller.

Dicamba was developed because farmers , especially in the South, were using a lot of roundup, which consequently led to roundup resistant weeds.

TL : DR

-Monsanto manufacturers and sells a potent commerical weedkiller called Dicamba.

Farmer using Dicamba can't control the dispersal of the product due to a design flaw in how Dicamba reacts to hot conditions.

-Monanto says to buy their genetically engineered soy bean seed that is resistant to Dicamba. In other words: Problem and solution both from Monsanto. Even though you as a farmer are not using Dicamba, your neighbor might be, and consequently it is killing your crops because the product can't be contained to just the user's farm.

-
Mother Jones talks about this.
http://www.motherjones.com/food/201...dkiller-is-also-killing-their-soybean-plants/

Just giving you my anecdotal observation across the two States that I've seen:

Any instance of Dicamba drift that I've personally seen, has been the result of the person spraying not waiting for low wind conditions.

It's really the difference between an expert operator, and a rookie spray jockey.

Not sure why anyone felt the need to use the name Monsanto or Dicamba in the title. Actually I do, it's become a "trigger" word for online idiots. Here's a little secret....

Any liquid sprayed improperly is going to drift. This isn't reserved for Monsanto or even herbicides. I was wondering how this was "news", then I looked at the source. Trash news catering to the lowest IQs out there.

Not sure why anyone felt the need to use the name Monsanto or Dicamba in the title. Actually I do, it's become a "trigger" word for online idiots. Here's a little secret....

Any liquid sprayed improperly is going to drift. This isn't reserved for Monsanto or even herbicides. I was wondering how this was "news", then I looked at the source. Trash news catering to the lowest IQs out there.
Monsanto has a long and rich enough history to trigger suspicion

You're quick jump to go after "online idiots" means your head is in the game or in the sand

Monsanto has a long and rich enough history to trigger suspicion

You're quick jump to go after "online idiots" means your head is in the game or in the sand
Suspicion of what? Seriously, how is this in any way interesting? Do you not understand what wind drift is? Maybe you don't understand how herbicides work? Honestly, there's nothing interesting here at all. It's like an article about the state painting road lines in the wind, getting paint on cars, and claiming the paint manufacturer is somehow evil because of it.

The only thing that exceeds monsantos corruption is it's spending on lobbyists and campaign donations

One cup of Roundup herbicide is actually far less toxic than a full shaker of salt.

The only reason we don't consciously consider that amount of salt as toxic, is because the human tongue is designed to find salt, sugar, and fat.

Roundup really fucks up with the water wildlife though.

Are there any nutrients in roundup the human body needs to survive? I think you're talking out your ass.

But Bill Nye the cue card reading shill guy said they are a good company.

Suspicion of what? Seriously, how is this in any way interesting? Do you not understand what wind drift is? Maybe you don't understand how herbicides work? Honestly, there's nothing interesting here at all. It's like an article about the state painting road lines in the wind, getting paint on cars, and claiming the paint manufacturer is somehow evil because of it.
It's apparent they produce a product that can not be reliably used.
What do you think a farmer is going to do if they are infested and it's windy for a week? Not spray?

And considering there are so many other control mechanisms, it's absurd to have farms spraying toxic herbicides right next to other farms.

Culpability lays with the farmers and the producer of the product.

This isn't paint.

It's apparent they produce a product that can not be reliably used.
What do you think a farmer is going to do if they are infested and it's windy for a week? Not spray?

And considering there are so many other control mechanisms, it's absurd to have farms spraying toxic herbicides right next to other farms.

Culpability lays with the farmers and the producer of the product.

This isn't paint.
So the answer is yes, you don't understand how herbicides work and what wind drift is. Seriously, you should exclude yourself from topics you have no knowledge in. You're making your self sound a bit silly (and very ignorant) here. But continue if you want, I won't be participating any more. I forgot the War Room was 90% fake arguments made up for the purpose of arguing on the internet. My life hasn't reached the point that makes this interesting or fun.

So the answer is yes, you don't understand how herbicides work and what wind drift is. Seriously, you should exclude yourself from topics you have no knowledge in. You're making your self sound a bit silly (and very ignorant) here. But continue if you want, I won't be participating any more. I forgot the War Room was 90% fake arguments made up for the purpose of arguing on the internet. My life hasn't reached the point that makes this interesting or fun.
All you have offered is insults.

Is your position these products can be used without interfering with farms that don't use them?

Interesting how Monsantos products just keep interfering with farms that don't use their products.

Totally incidental. Has nothing to do with them positioning themselves in the market place?

All you have offered is insults.

Is your position these products can be used without interfering with farms that don't use them?

Interesting how Monsantos products just keep interfering with farms that don't use their products.

Totally incidental. Has nothing to do with them positioning themselves in the market place?
Jesus, you really don't understand.
Yes, these products can be used responsibly. They have been for decades. And it's not just Monsanto products that do this. It's ALL sprayed herbicides. ALL OF THEM. Just the fact that Monsanto was singled out here makes it very obvious it's just an anti-Monsanto author. I don't care if you don't like them, but don't be just another online sheep. Monsanto is no different than Dow and other herbicde makers.

Back