Moments in training

Tempo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey all and good evening! prehaps good midday for you americans across the pond...

anyway enough of my shite.. I was just sitting thinking have any of you guys got that feeling while training where you just space out, and feel on a complete another level?

Ive felt it many sessions, in sparring mainly I just tend to zone out and just feel completley at peace in the moment, untouchable in ways..but so switched on and ready.
Man im probably talking shit, flame me if you must :D

cheers!

Nah, its a well known concept in any sport or athletic type endeavor, commonly known as being "in the zone".

Its an awesome feeling no matter what you are doing, but in sparring or something combative it seems extra special, I agree.
:icon_chee

I've felt in another place, like light-headed and astral projection and crap. I call that lack of sugars.

That moment ruined me.

Ever since a massive sparring session in the zone, I have tried to get it back and keep being interupted with shots to the face. The frustration of such keeps me from attaining that level again and I've gone backwards.

for the open minded people out there, There is a book out there that can help you reach that so called "zone". you can apply that concept to your every day life too.

the book is "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle.. very good read. the author makes a great job of explaining everything with simple words, no vague philosophy type of shit.

basicly it teaches you that there's two state of consciousness. the mind, and the conscious you. the mind is made of past experiences and future aspirations. Your consciousness (you) should be in the present moment ( the now ). being in the now means that you are aware or should I say "self conscious". your mind is a great tool but no one should let the mind become your identity. The only thing you have in life is the present moment. truely it is all you have... your past is not there anymore and the future is not here yet. So many time we try to live in the past or FOR the future when we should just live the moment. that's where your potential is.

I won't go into too much details mainly because my english is not up to par with the deepness of the shit I want to talk about. so i'll let you read the book.

That's why sports and training is so addictive, because when you spar or train, you can be your true self, you are what you are in the present moment. that's when great things happen and you can use your full potential. but outside of the gym it's so easy to get lost and to identify yourself to your mind who is constantly feeding your ego with your past and future.

give it a try!

Last edited:
Meh, Tolle is wanker.

If you want good shit go old school Japanese Zen style, Takuan Soho :
The Unfettered Mind

and also, the book based on it by the man it was originally written to as a letter,
Yagyu Munenori : The Book of Family Traditions on the Art of War.

:D

I find I reach a point of annoyance or frustration where I 'zone out' but badly so that I absorb pain and just walk through serious punches with weak guard waiting to set up big power shots. The issue is that you're losing a stand up battle and eventually someone is going to come along who punches hard enough with a fair amount of technique that takes my head off.
On a good day I will 'zone out' and allow muscle memory to take over so that I can really concentrate on what my opponent is doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luciusaugustus
Back