Modifying Your Gear: Training Gloves, Elastic Cuffs, and Rubberized Edges

CHawkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of Top Contender 16oz training gloves. Pretty good gloves for the price, nice padding. But I have a major problem with them: I can't get them on and off without help. The elastic cuff is so tight that once I have a glove on each hand, I can't pull down the elastic cuff on the last glove. Plus they're so tight it cuts off my circulation to wear them. Not good.

So, I decided to remove the elastic cuff.

However, it is important to remember that the elastic cuff helps to prevent abrasions cased by the rough seams of the velcro strap that closes the glove. If I'm going to remove the cuff, I need to make sure that the rough edges of the strap don't hurt anyone.

With that in mind, I got my project materials ready - the gloves, an X-Acto knife and a can of Plasti-Dip.

start.jpg

Looking closely, I see that the elastic cuff is held on to the glove by two sets of stitches. One set on the back of the glove:

stitch1.jpg

and one set on the palm of the gloves, through a strip of leather that is attached to the cuff:

stitch2.jpg

I break out the X-acto knife and get to work popping the stitches - CAREFULLY. If I slip here, this blade could easily cut the glove leather.

Soon the stitches are cut and the cuff is easily removed:

nocuff.jpg

Looking at the edge of the velcro strap that wraps around to secure the glove, I see that the seam where the velcro was sewn on to the elastic strap is indeed rough enough - sharp, even - to give someone a nasty scratch.

I took a photo but the focus was off and it came out like crap. Trust me, the seam on this thing was pretty sharp.

Time to break out the Plasti-Dip!

plastidip.gif

I dipped the end of the strap 1/4" into the Plasti-Dip and slowly withdrew it. It dripped once and I set it down to dry. I did the same with the other glove's strap.

After 30 minutes of drying, I dipped each one again.

30 minutes later, I dipped each one again.

Three coats seems to be the magic number! Check it out:

final.jpg

That's a nice, soft, rubbery bead on the end of the strap. This is 30 minutes after the third dipping. it looks wet but is not. 4 hours form now it will be dry for real - 30 minutes is the "dry to the touch" mark with Plasti-Dip. No more sharp corners or edges, just rubbery goodness.

The gloves are a snap to get into and out of now, without that elastic cuff. And I don't have to worry about scratching or cutting anyone with the end of that strap.

If you've got a pair of gloves giving you the same problem and you don't have dough to buy a new pair, all you need is a razor blade and $5 for a can of Plasti-Dip.

Next, I'll be dipping the fingertips of my MMA gloves, which do not have the piping on the fingerholes like the Ouano gloves do, and the edges of the leather seem like they could scratch someone. Hopefully that goes as well as this did!

edit: spelling

Wow, that was a notably detailed post.

Awesome instructions. Thanks for the post. I often can't find gloves that fit well for my hands either.

holy MacGyver, you shouldve just designed your own gloves.

RoccCity said:
Actually, I'm working on that. ;) Give a guy time.

I modded my Harbingers with a seam cutter. Lot less chance of cutting the leather if you use an actual seam cutter.

RoccCity said:

lmao. I want to go and buy a pair just so I can mod them :redface: Cool post, thanks for the detailed info.

I'd rather just get a pair that were all set to go if I was already spending the money, but nice job with the modifications.

scorcho said:
I'd rather just get a pair that were all set to go if I was already spending the money, but nice job with the modifications.
Well, that's the trick, isn't it? When you order your gear online you don't have a chance to try it on first.

Truth be told, I was tempted to just order three or four different gloves and return the ones that didn't fit right, but that just seemed like a big PITA. This was a fun way to turn the gloves I had into the gloves I wanted. ;)

Superbeat said:
I modded my Harbingers with a seam cutter. Lot less chance of cutting the leather if you use an actual seam cutter.

Believe it or not, nobody at Home Depot had ever heard of a seam cutter! So I went with one of those X-acto knives with the sliding blade and only slid the blade out about 1/8", just a tiny little corner of razor. I didn't want there to be a big blade to sink into the leather if I slipped!

If I do any more of this kind of thing, I'll have to shop around for a seam cutter.

This may sound silly and/or useless, but the "seam cutter" is actually called a seam ripper. May help you find the product a bit easier.
I like the mod! Great job!
Good luck to anybody else attempting to mod their gear!

i would've just used some boxing tape but that plasti dip stuff you used looks much better

great post! good pics and attention to detail for a DIY.

i only wished more gear&equipment discussion threads were more of this caliber...

This may sound silly and/or useless, but the "seam cutter" is actually called a seam ripper. May help you find the product a bit easier.
I like the mod! Great job!
Good luck to anybody else attempting to mod their gear!

also called a stich ripper and you can get it in any place you can get sewing supplies

Back