Modified Warrior Diet

Coleman

White Belt
Reaction score
I know a lot of people here don't like and don't agree with the warrior diet but I do know quite a few people who have had success with it. I'm wondering if a modified version of the warrior diet would work. This is sort of what I'm planning on.

No breakfast. I know this seems crazy but Ori (author of the warrior diet) says that a controlled fast will keep your sympathetic nervous system active and release fats into the blood stream. I think going all day without eating is wrong but I was planning on not eating until lunch, just having a few cups of green tea.

I would start eating around lunch time and my meals would consist of lean protein and low GI carbs such as raw vegetables and fruit. The idea here is to keep my insulin levels low so I won't feel sluggish later in the day.

After my workout, at dinner time, I'll eat a big meal. The idea here is to create an insulin spike which causes uptake of nutrients and then will make my sleepy in time for bed.

Now, is this totally off or will it work?

sounds good. WD, you have to play around with it to see how it finds you. No 1 way for anything. I do it to, but not everyday.

Let us know how that works, I couldn't imagine going without eating at least a light breakfast.

I've never eaten breakfast so I don't see it being a problem to adapt to. Really the only thing I'm going to be changing about the way I eat now is that I will be eating less junk then I currently do which is never a bad thing.

After someone else started a big thread on the WD on the forum I've given it a go for about a month or so. I've lost about 6lbs, which is good since I wasn't really fat to begin with (just call it smooth). The strangest thing on this diet is you realise how much your life revolves around food. I used to do the 5 meals a day thing and man that was a lot of time preparing and eating. Its not since I did the WD that I can understand why the average westerner is a out of shape fatty, we just eat all the time!

Anyway, the diet was ok, but yeah I've modified it too. I found I dropped both fat and muscle and because I was training so much just wasn't fed on the one meal a day. I now do similar to what you said, no breakfast or some fruit juice mid morning. Mid afternoon (late lunch) a really small meal of fruits and veg and some fish usually. Avo driet fruit and nuts then post training a pretty good meal.

After doing it and researching it, its interesting to see the whole eat less and fasting is hardly a new concept. I have to admit I do feel better for not eating all the time. I think it gives your body a rest from perpetually digesting all the time and gives your hormones more of a extreme up and down movement - which even though it sounds bad, I think is a good thing.

Just my 2 cents, sorry for the long post.

The diet overall is pretty amazing in a lot of different ways. I find for me if I don't eat all day, I am aleart and have more energy, then have a great workout. If i eat during the day I get tired and my workout sux. After the workout I eat like crazy, then that will extend into the next day where I need to eat usually two big meals durning the day, since I am so hungry. After that day, I can do the WD again the next day with no problem.

THe diet makes you have more energy and I do find I know exactly what kinds of foods I want to eat. I find it works better with having workouts, then doing it without working out. Digestion does take a lot of blood and energy out of the body, so it amazing how people eat so much all the time and not fasting or anything to give your system a break.

Babies, when they have a bowell movement, dam, its bigger then they are!! adults, everyone is different, but a lot of people have 1 or less bowell movement a day, not good..

Whats funny is that back in college, when I was studying, If i ate, then I wanted to sleep, so I was better off not eating for better thinking, makes sense now.

I saw on the Science channel about chimps would always go on this Fruit bindge, they would eat lots of fruit and that seemed to want to make them go hunt meat for some reason? don't know if the sugar had anything to do with it or what, but If I am on the WD during the day and I have some fruit, I do want a steak, now!!!!!!..Funny

this sounds more like intermittent fasting to me, which is basically a 15 hour overnight fast. you can read more about it on the www.crossfit.com boards

I don't know. I think I'd go 100% one way or the other. Whatever beneficial effects a fast may have (and I'm not aware of any) may not kick in until the later hours that he plans in that diet.

Experimentation is good, though, so don't beat yourself up.

I usually eat this way mon-fri due to my work schedule. I find that my energy remains at a higher level and fluctuates less when I fast during the day. When I get home I'm starving, you just gotta make sure that you're still eating a balanced diet. I find when I fast during the day my body craves healthier foods at night which is good.

i went on the warrior diet for a good 4 weeks last summer and in the first 3 i lost a good 20 lbs. kinda scary because i didn't exercise too hard and i'm thin to begin with, but i felt fine/pretty normal.

Back