MMAfighting.com: [Cormier] is the far better athlete -- [he is] stronger and faster

Fighter123

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In an article that appeared on MMAfighting.com today, MMA journalist Dave Meltzer made the following statement (when comparing the athleticism of Jones vs. Cormier):

Jones is the better fighter, thats what matters.

Better football player, better wrestler, can actually dunk a basketball >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

dave meltzer is awesome at guessing numbers that dont matter. Hes terrible at analyzing fights

I think it's completely irrelevant.

Being a better athlete is not the same as being a better mixed martial artist.

DC will win tonight, that's all that matters

I mean Cormier is 36 years old Meltzer...bringing up his Highschool football career is irrelevant and pretty stupid lol the last time he played that was 18-years ago, Jones was in elementary school.

Like the guy above me said I don't know who the better athlete is maybe DC probably would win if they did a series of track and field events.

But, they're fighting in a cage and I that area Jones is much much better and that's all that matters.

I think it's completely irrelevant.

Being a better athlete is not the same as being a better mixed martial artist.

fighting is physical. being better physically matters a lot at the top when everyones good and the edge is narrow.

being a good football player matters. but if you cant physically do what others can, you cant play at the top. simples.

This athlete stuff sometimes just doesn't matter. Like Ronda Rousey is NOT a special athlete. She was just trained in something that applies well to women's MMA at a really young age.

Being a better athlete make you the better fighter.

Not Always , yeah it's a plus , but look at guys like Guillard and Uriah Hall two freaks with explosive power great body control and they haven't exactly made it to the championship level, despite being black :icon_twis

fighting is physical. being better physically matters a lot at the top when everyones good and the edge is narrow.

being a good football player matters. but if you cant physically do what others can, you cant play at the top. simples.

Yes, that's all obvious.

A discussion about which mixed martial artist is the better athlete (in other sports) doesn't make a lot of sense to me when you're talking about two guys who have competed this much in MMA.

Not Always , yeah it's a plus , but look at guys like Guillard and Uriah Hall two freaks with explosive power great body control and they haven't exactly made it to the championship level, despite being black :icon_twis

Uriah hall is far from explosive, he is a slow average fighter. Guillard packed a punch but wasn't super coordinated or strong either

The athleticism is what Dave is saying should give him the advantage....whereas both are great fighters.

:O
tumblr_m0qoox2Ref1qm37qco1_250.gif

Roy jones was not a special athlete on a development league basketball court. In the ring was different. Athleticism and coordination has many forms.

Back