MMA "Sparing gloves"

Eric O

Me > You
@Silver
Reaction score
*Plz don't merge this thread for a while*

What types of sparring gloves has everyone tryed (meaning mma gloves advertised for sparring).

I bought 2 pairs of the CSI gloves that claimed to have equivalent padding to a 16oz glove. The padding was around the same thickness (as a 16oz gloves) but it was way to dense and the gloves seemed to have a plastic backing behind the knuckles. The construction was rugged but the weight of the glove combined with the hard padding and plastic plate made getting hit with the glove full force, equal or maybe even worse then getting hit with a quano glove. I wound up returning them after using them once.

Who's tryed the Hawks, Rogue or any of the other brands?

Rogue slide from side to side too much. I have some Fairtex shooto style gloves that are perfect for sparring.

I ordered Hawks and they are awesome! You can HIT hard and still have enough padding to lessen the likely hood of cuts or too much impact.

I wrote a review on the rogues a few months back - you'll find it if you search. I've also tried the fairtex and have to say they were pretty spiffy for the breef time I had them on, but didn't use them nearly enough to write a full review on them, same goes for the CSI gloves.

Go with Fairtex..a little more expensive but then again you get what you pay for

You know, I just thought I'd put this up for anyone who is thinking about buying MMA gloves and sparring with them. Really, go with sparring-style gloves. They're more expensive but way more worth it. You'll hesistate less to hit your partner and you don't have to worry as much about bleeding. I should've gotten them earlier.

is there a specific name for the ufc/pride style gloves? open fingered so you can grapple but padded for striking. i ask for gloves and they point me to boxing or weightlifting when i say open fingered.

i've gotten 2 blank stares when i broke down and said, "got any ufc style gloves?"

i'm guessing that i'll end up ordering these offline, but i really want my hands in them before i buy anything. the downtime from shipping is also a negative.

Fight_Song said:
is there a specific name for the ufc/pride style gloves? open fingered so you can grapple but padded for striking. i ask for gloves and they point me to boxing or weightlifting when i say open fingered.

i've gotten 2 blank stares when i broke down and said, "got any ufc style gloves?"

i'm guessing that i'll end up ordering these offline, but i really want my hands in them before i buy anything. the downtime from shipping is also a negative.

Order through your gym. Thats what i'm doing, plus they will let you know if you need to get a particular style for training there. That way you don't spend money buying an extra pair of gloves you can't use (i did this and will not repeat the mistake).

I would like to try the fairtex shooto gloves, were is a cheap place to get them??

MMawarehouse.com is much better than ordering from Fairtex directly. Fairtex has a bad habit of not letting you know that it's on backorder. mmawarehouse has it on the site whether or not something is in stock. I've always had great service from them.

I've got the Rogue sparring gloves and I like them, bought a fairly small size so the fit is tight and this deals with them sliding around on my hands, does make them a bugger to take off though. The padding is pretty soft and unless you really whack your sparring partners you shouldnt have any trouble. They are fairly bulky and it can be awkward on the ground, especially when trying to sink a choke, but then I guess thats the trade off. On the plus whenever ive been using them to train I find it much easier to tap people out when i'm not wearing them, everything just feels much easier.

I've tried Hawks and they are really good, they have a good ammount of padding where you can hit hard and not worry about cuts,scratches etc. There is another brand called Thunder or something the sparring glove they have is pretty good also.

Fairtex and Hawks are the best for sparring and such.
I enjoy using Harbingers for bag work and work outs.

Jammy, those things look pretty cool

Jammyface said:
Has anyone tried these from Combat Sports?:

www.combatsports.com/detail_tuf2.aspx?ID=22292

There really hard and heavy. I returned the two sets I bought.

Like a week ago my hawks gloves arrived. There great for sparring but I have some hang up about their construction. Overall They're worth buying though.

I'm gunna write up a review and post pics when my yellow cards are gone.

I have the Faritex sparring gloves and they are great on my partners. Padding is really thick so its hard on some of the chokes and stuff but for strinking they are great. Like wearing a boxing glove but with the ability to grapple in them.

Surf

Anymore reviews for the Hawks? Which actually has the best padding out of the Hawks and the Fairtex cause I'm sure the Hawks are a heavier weight...

Check the gloves Thread at the top of the page. I have pics up and all.

FGV15_md.jpg

i take it these are the fairtex gloves everyone is talkng about, i think im going to order a pair.

I have a pair. One point to advise you on, don't have the loops right by the webbing of your fingers or the leather will rub, have them so they are looped around the second bone of your fingers.

Back