• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MMA Schools that teach nogi Judo

Does it make much sense to learn no gi judo instead of normal wrestling unless you are already an elite judoka or are just doing it to fool around?

Does it make much sense to learn no gi judo instead of normal wrestling unless you are already an elite judoka or are just doing it to fool around?

It makes sense for someone who's more into the standup aspect, but also wants to learn subs.

Do you think it'd be possible for someone like me without much of a formal judo/wrestling background to good enough at these to transition between them at will?

Not saying you can't, but i'm a black belt in Judo and i'm still working on massive combos.

I trained no Gi judo with a guy for awhile who was a 2 strip Lotus Club BJJ BB and a Judo BB up in Wa.

Last edited:
Do you think it'd be possible for someone like me without much of a formal judo/wrestling background to good enough at these to transition between them at will?

Yes. I like these throws for MMA fighters trying to pick up a little Judo for a few reasons:

1. Fairly simple mechanically, as Judo goes. None require a large turning motion coordinating pull, footwork, and hip entry.
2. Safe if you fail.
3. All work from the same over/under clinch.

You need to find a good teacher, but I think that these can be picked up fairly quickly by an experienced fighter.

One thing to note is that the list changes if we're talking pure grappling. One reason I like these for MMA is that they work very well in MMA clinches where you're standing very upright and strikes are involved. I actually like to set a lot of these up with knees to circling to throwing. They work especially well against the cage, mostly because it's easy to get your opponent to move in the manner you need because he'll be trying to circle off the cage anyway. Kouchi and ouchi gari are dynamite against a cage sprawl. I'm a little banged up right now with back problems but I'll try to make a video later this week of at least a few of them.

Looking for MMA school that teach nogi Judo means looking for a poor quality training. We have occasional nogi days in our judo club, and I can do pretty much any throw with neck and wrist hold. Gi is a training tool that helps develop the throws. Once you have them developed it does not matter whether it is gi or not. There are very few throws that depends on gi like sode tsurikomi goshi.

In the US "normal" wrestling is Folkstyle wrestling with 2 points for a nice throw (15 to win the match). In Freestyle wresting it is 5 points with 6 to win the match. As the result the difference between Freestyle and Folkstyle is like difference between Judo and Bjj: same set of techniques, different accent in training.

Edit:

I was wrong about sode tsurikomi goshi:

Last edited:
Why not just go to a wrestling school... learn takedowns that have higher percentages and land you in safer positions - unless you are really heavy with a near immovable base, you will probably get swept over once completing any throw. I also dislike Judo without a gi because of the stance.

There is no wrestling for adults in this part of the world.
In the USA?; Or in Russia? although it isn't ideal, most mma gyms offer some sort of wrestling class, whether it be either freestyle/greco or mma wrestling. It would be cool to see wrestling more available for those who arent students though.

Yes. I like these throws for MMA fighters trying to pick up a little Judo for a few reasons:

1. Fairly simple mechanically, as Judo goes. None require a large turning motion coordinating pull, footwork, and hip entry.
2. Safe if you fail.
3. All work from the same over/under clinch.

You need to find a good teacher, but I think that these can be picked up fairly quickly by an experienced fighter.

One thing to note is that the list changes if we're talking pure grappling. One reason I like these for MMA is that they work very well in MMA clinches where you're standing very upright and strikes are involved. I actually like to set a lot of these up with knees to circling to throwing. They work especially well against the cage, mostly because it's easy to get your opponent to move in the manner you need because he'll be trying to circle off the cage anyway. Kouchi and ouchi gari are dynamite against a cage sprawl. I'm a little banged up right now with back problems but I'll try to make a video later this week of at least a few of them.

That'd be awesome.

Most people take a couple years going from amateur to pro in mma. It's a lot of time to get good.

At the novice level, one thing done well can turn a fight around. There was a teenager at my old gym with no wrestling background who hit the outside trip and tani otoshi against a couple of guys who just went pro. He practiced those moves a lot and had no hesitation.

Doing standup grappling, there were guys 50 pounds lighter than him that could take him, but his kick boxing was so good he could back them up and do takedowns with gloves on.

Most people take a couple years going from amateur to pro in mma. It's a lot of time to get good.

What I meant more is not that it's that it takes too much time to learn no-gi judo stuff but that there is a big difference in an elite judoka cheaply learning how to do his throw in mma, or choosing to spend loads of time to learn a no-gi judo when you can learn something better.

An analogy would be choosing to specialize in deep half for mma. It's a different trade of for Ryan Hall to use it in mma and teaching it to someone who doesn't know it already.

Back