MMA, How Much Grappling Time and Striking?

miniaq said:
"Black belt magazine there is an article about how strikers abondon thy're skill once they are placed in a street/cage fight." I don t think it s so much that they abondon standing up during a fight, it's more that the oponent senses his weakness then clinches to save his head. Since the popularity of BJJ has grown specially in the past few years, I think that the idea of a fight ENDING on the ground has gotten a little too much attention. The majority of top notch fighters in both Pride and UFC are winning by knocking out their oponents or on points mostly gained thru stand up fighting, best case examples are Silva, Crocop and Liddle.
As for your average street fight, lets be honest would you ever consider putting a guy in your guard during a confrontation! most likely you ll take him down get a side mount and start using your boxing techniques and pound on his head or add a few knees to the body for good measure.

Well first of all you can only do what you can catch them with, so if I had to pull guard then yes I would. Besides having someone in my guard isn't a problem, I mean at high levels of MMA competition it would be because they know how to fight out of it, but in a street fight I have seen it with my own eyes were guys get caught in a guard and pounded out.

But I understand what you mean, so thanks for your help!

[QUOTE=The Man Monster]Well the reason I was asking was because I feel that striking is natural to everyone, its something people do by nature. I mean little kids throw punches, so if you know the basics and train them then I feel you'll be okay.

Striking isn't just about aimlessly throwing punches or kicks at a stationary object,"striking" means the whole concept of reaction,defense,combo's etc not just how you punch or kick!...sure everyone has the instinct to throw a punch but you could hit the pads all day and look the part and then in a sparring situation get minced...IMO a grappler would find the transition to striking much more difficult than a striker to grappler.

MT-2 times a week..
Bjj- 3 times a week
Incorporate weight training and cardio work in between..Think ive got a great stand up game but could work a little more on the ground. Find out what works for you and do it..Simple as that!

Dedicado said:
With respect, I gotta disagree here man. Punching is something you gotta work hard at, even if you're a natural, if you want it to flow, be accurate and have the stamina to do for a prolonged fight. Tell me, do you ver find yourself getting gassed faster than your op[ponents? If so, you need to work harder at your striking, so you can throw more flurries for longer periods of time.

I agree with you in a way, but also disagree.

On a low level, striking is way more intuitive to people who have no idea of either striking of grappling. They know that to hurt someone you just swing punches and throw kicks. It doesn't mean they are good, but they know what to do.

On the ground, most people wouldn't have a clue about grappling. They might have an idea of position (ie, sitting on chest is best), but other than that, they would just try and strike from there.

But I think most people once initiated to grappling tend to find it easier going compared to striking. Well that is my experience anyway, I'd rather grapple than strike if I was in a fight.

But I agree that becoming a good striker is harder than becoming a good grappler

Back