mma ears

Your Account

reacted to your score
@Silver
Reaction score
Is there anything that could be done for the ears damaged in fights and trainings ?
I see some fighters have 'normal' ears , like DC for example, and some fighters like
Ferguson or Cruz have real war ears.

Most of this comes from years upon years of grappling/wrestling. Really the best way to prevent it is to wear headgear growing up.

You can get surgery. Also if you drain your ears right after they blow up before they harden they will look normal again, but still be harder. This is what I've done with my ears they look almost completely normal, but are really hard.

Prevent it: wear headgear

Fix it: Drain it immediately after swelling appears(before ear hardens); OR get cosmetic surgery post-career.

Is there anything that could be done for the ears damaged in fights and trainings ?
I see some fighters have 'normal' ears , like DC for example, and some fighters like
you can drain it.
But it hurts and most fighters do not care.

they can always do a cosmetic surgery after their careers are over.

Yep, drain it ASAP after it happens. I've only had 2 blow ups in nearly 7 years of BJJ. Drained one a little late, and one as soon as I got home when it happened. The first is a little puffy, but not noticeable, and the 2nd is completely normal. Some guys just don't care about it, some look at it as some sort of badge, and some want their ears to be normal.

you can drain it.
But it hurts and most fighters do not care.

they can always do a cosmetic surgery after their careers are over.

Doesn't hurt too bad. Biggest hurdle is convincing yourself to insert the needle the first time, unless you're going to a doc to have it done.

Doesn't hurt too bad. Biggest hurdle is convincing yourself to insert the needle the first time, unless you're going to a doc to have it done.

Yeah it actually feels kinda good like popping a big pimple.

Much of it also depends on the type of cartilage in the ear. Some people have very hard cartilage that is not flexible and prone to inflammation and tearing while others are softer and more pliable.

Prevent it: wear headgear

about 50% true. You can for sure minimalize damage to you ears by wearing headgear, but you'll still get it.

Also, you got guys who wrestle alot with their foreheads. They tend to avoid alot of ear damage, but if you are someone who uses the side of your head (ears) you'll get more damage. (logics! Huy!)

When I used to compete I would always drain my ears butt damn it hurts and the next day is bruised and swollen. I would normally only do it when I knew I had several days to recover. Maybe I was doing it wrong (prob was) butt my ears look fine today. I think most fighters today wear it as a war wound/badge of honor. To each their own.

about 50% true. You can for sure minimalize damage to you ears by wearing headgear, but you'll still get it.

Also, you got guys who wrestle alot with their foreheads. They tend to avoid alot of ear damage, but if you are someone who uses the side of your head (ears) you'll get more damage. (logics! Huy!)

I've yet to meet someone who consistently wears headgear to get serious cauliflower.

And if you don't wear headgear in wrestling, there's a high chance you'll get cauliflower regardless of style, whether it be by someone brushing your ears clinching/snap downs, scrambles, pin attempts, head position(as mentioned), etc. it's a rough sport all around m8.

Point is if anyone wants to grapple seriously, then they better be ready for EVERYTHING that comes with it including: cauliflower, soreness most of the time, little nagging injuries, etc.

Best thing is taking care of your diet, checking your ego, and nursing injuries ASAP before it becomes something chronic heaven forbid.

I have a very top heavy, grinding, mean style of grappling. Been training 3-4 times a week (just grappling. I also spend time striking) for a year and a half and my ears have just hardened and have a VERY subtle breakdown of shape.
Other guys get fuckin ridiculous cauli ear after 6 months.

There's no for sure. Depends on the person... I also don't bruise easy so idk it that has an effect

Just wear headgear and you are fine. But most mma guys dont even wear headgear when sparring it seems which is just plain stupid.. Maybe they get enjoyment from head trauma and cauliflower ears, I dont know.

Just wear headgear and you are fine. But most mma guys dont even wear headgear when sparring it seems which is just plain stupid.. Maybe they get enjoyment from head trauma and cauliflower ears, I dont know.
images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back