MMA Clinch: Anderson's clinch

marcusnz80

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So i just re-watched Anderson demolish rich with knees from the Clinch and I cant understand why rich had such trouble escaping it. What should rich have done to escape it? Also, why dont we see the clinch more often in the ufc like we did in pride!

Head up, cross face against Silva's face, try to get your own Thai plum in. Thats the way I was taught. You can see Franklin was using this technique in the fight, but Silva's Muay Thai skills outclasses most people. Franklin was training for devestating stand up in the first fight and I bet didn't train the clinch much.

A big reason why the Thai plum isnt used so much In the UFC is because it leads more of an opportunity to get taken down by wrestlers compared to double unders. Wrestling has become some a big part of Mixed Martial Arts that such intricacies of stand up such as the Muay Thai Clinch has been discarded in order to give someone a better chance of the take down, or a better chance of keeping the fight standing up.

Words cannot express how much I hate the term "Thai plum".

Me too. Plum simply means to wrestle, it is not a position such as the double neck tie.

If you'd like, Ill edit the post to say "Double neck tie," every time I mentionned the Thai Plum. I've never trained pure Muay Thai, only Muay Thai skills for MMA, and during that Its either called the Thai Plum or the Thai Clinch. Thai Clinch just seems to generic so I use Thai Plum.

A big reason why the Thai plum isnt used so much In the UFC is because it leads more of an opportunity to get taken down by wrestlers compared to double unders.

^ This. If you don't have good control, the MT clinch can be easily stopped with double under hooks or over under.

The guys who actually train MT with the clinch can explain better but:

When some guys get the Thai clinch they seem to stand there and think "What to do now?. Oh, I'll throw some knees...". They stand there straight on and don't 'manhandle' their opponent (constantly maneuvering to keep their opponent of balance) which is essential in the Thai clinch.

Last edited:
goto a few clinch classes then repost your thread man. Clinch work is hard. Escaping a good thai clinch when you dont know exactly what youre doing can result in what happened to Rich.

combining the thai PLUM with wrestling is the future of clinching

rich said he invited the clinch and thought he would have a strength advantange

it was very impressive how anderson just tossed him around with the clinch

and lol at rich trying to throw knees back.

If you'd like, Ill edit the post to say "Double neck tie," every time I mentionned the Thai Plum. I've never trained pure Muay Thai, only Muay Thai skills for MMA, and during that Its either called the Thai Plum or the Thai Clinch. Thai Clinch just seems to generic so I use Thai Plum.

Thai clinch would probably be the more correct descriptive term for it, kind a like referring to a boxing clinch.

I think what is amazing is how some fighters would rather get demolished than just throw the whole game out the window and try something stupid, if only to hang on a little longer.

If I'm Rich, and I find out rather rudely that I have no business in the clinch with Silva, and after I get that feeling a massacre is in progress, I'm going to do anything....retarded risky things to change it up. My first thought would be to cover my chin with gloves and just drop to my butt or try some flying guard pull. Yah, you could eat a hard one on the way down...but so what? You're eating hard ones up there. Or maybe TRY to time one and grab the single....so you may eat a big one again....but seriously, what other options do you have? Pray to the gods of muay thai for some guidance?

I feel the same when the guy can't bring the fight to the ground by conventional methods...when it's urgent, why not try that flying submission or guard pull or anything. Or people who don't just blitz in the last minute or so of a fight that they are going to lose.

This is basically all that was on my mind in that fight.

I think what is amazing is how some fighters would rather get demolished than just throw the whole game out the window and try something stupid, if only to hang on a little longer.

If I'm Rich, and I find out rather rudely that I have no business in the clinch with Silva, and after I get that feeling a massacre is in progress, I'm going to do anything....retarded risky things to change it up. My first thought would be to cover my chin with gloves and just drop to my butt or try some flying guard pull. Yah, you could eat a hard one on the way down...but so what? You're eating hard ones up there. Or maybe TRY to time one and grab the single....so you may eat a big one again....but seriously, what other options do you have? Pray to the gods of muay thai for some guidance?

I feel the same when the guy can't bring the fight to the ground by conventional methods...when it's urgent, why not try that flying submission or guard pull or anything. Or people who don't just blitz in the last minute or so of a fight that they are going to lose.

This is basically all that was on my mind in that fight.

You never go down on a clinch or you're done. You need to stand straight and put your hips into his hips and low back him.

You don't need a lot of strength to be good at clinching either. Using all your power will sap all the energy out. Just be calm and pick your moves.

Another reason why you don't see it in MMA anymore is because of the stupid rule "No knees on your opponent when he has his knees on the floor."

Instead of fighting out of the MT clinch they just drop down to their knees and attempt a takedown. I've seen multiple fighters do this lately. Jake Shields did this against Kampmann. It's fucking BS. They need to get rid of that rule.

Last edited:
Dan defended the clinch very well and took Anderson,same with Machida against Shogun. I'd say they'd have to work more on greco wrestling. I can't imagine a a great roman greco wrestler in the same position against rich.

Back