Misses opportunity: Mir vs Werdum

There is literally no area that Frank stands a chance...

Standing: Werdum has much better striking.
Ground: Mir will not pull a fast one like he did on Nog.lol

Mir actually had very good boxing.
He dispatched Duffee with ease, even though Mir was past his prime.
That version of Duffee would have KO’d Werdum.

There was at one point the 4 best HW grapplers ever were in the UFC. Nog, Barnett, Werdum and Mir.
It's interesting that Nog fought all three of those guys twice. It's a shame the other three guys didn't fought each other.

I forgot about Mir vs Barnett. Too bad it didnt go to the ground

Heard that before.

Except for Werdum being the obviously better fighter... Gi or Nogi he pretzels Mir, and he has more/better tools standing.

If I were Mir, with his skillset, and they asked me the one heavyweight I would not want to face because I know I'm getting my shit pushed in...It's Werdum. A complete stylistic nightmare.

Mir actually had very good boxing.
He dispatched Duffee with ease, even though Mir was past his prime.
That version of Duffee would have KO’d Werdum.

Mir had competent, slow, semi powerful hands...Werdum is a much faster/longer striker who knows how to use that length well unless chasing someone around with his chin in the air.

Frank's motorcycle accident is, in my opinion, one of the biggest "what if" scenarios in MMA. If that had never happened, how different would his career, and the HW division have been.

Only time it hits the floor is when Mir heads bounches against the canvas.

Werdum is better everywhere
Mir doesnt beat werdum now or ever. His striking is light years ahead if mirs and his ground game is a cut above too

Mir doesnt beat werdum now or ever. His striking is light years ahead if mirs and his ground game is a cut above too
Idk id pick Champ Mir over the Werdum that lost to JDS

Same people ITT discounting Mir are the same people thinking Nog was “better everywhere” too. Come to find out, he was actually inferior everywhere.

Mir in his prime had some good boxing. Werdum has some of the sloppiest boxing of any former hw champ. Mir could very well sit him on his ass and finish him just like he did to Kongo and Nog.

werdum all the way. mir gets murked on the ground via gnp even tho he has bone breaking submissions. there's noone that has ever had an advantage vs doom on the ground. his knowledge in positioning, defense and scrambles in bjj are 2nd to none in the HW div. he's got nasty subs from the guard too.the only person who's neutralized his guard was overeem. cain didn't even want a piece of werdum on the ground. as i recall CAIN LOST SIDE CONTOL IN MATTER OF SECONDS and didn't want to deal w/doom's guard. he sub'd cain too and nobody subs cain. werdum would easily get top control on mir and make him eat strawberries all day. he wouldn't even have to sub him even when he could.

Last edited:
Except for Werdum being the obviously better fighter... Gi or Nogi he pretzels Mir, and he has more/better tools standing.

If I were Mir, with his skillset, and they asked me the one heavyweight I would not want to face because I know I'm getting my shit pushed in...It's Werdum. A complete stylistic nightmare.

Again ... heard that better for Nog.

Same people ITT discounting Mir are the same people thinking Nog was “better everywhere” too. Come to find out, he was actually inferior everywhere.

Mir in his prime had some good boxing. Werdum has some of the sloppiest boxing of any former hw champ. Mir could very well sit him on his ass and finish him just like he did to Kongo and Nog.
nog let his pride get the better of him in the 2nd fight and went for a choke. before that he was beating the shit out of mir on the feet and should've just maintained position and gnp'd him for a stoppage because mir was literally done.

nog let his pride get the better of him in the 2nd fight and went for a choke. before that he was beating the shit out of mir on the feet and should've just maintained position and gnp'd him for a stoppage because mir was literally done.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Nog went with his instincts, which was Bjj. Something that won him the majority of his biggest career fights. He went for it this time and was completely outclassed.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Nog went with his instincts, which was Bjj. Something that won him the majority of his biggest career fights. He went for it this time and was completely outclassed.
mir got his can of whoop ass too as far as getting ktfo throughout his career.

It's interesting that Nog fought all three of those guys twice. It's a shame the other three guys didn't fought each other.

I know.....Barnett vs Werdum and Werdum vs Mir I really wanted to see

Werdum vs Barnett back in 2013/2014 would have been nuts too

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Nogueira's style of BJJ is typically position before submission. In that moment however he, ironically, acted much more like Mir does and went directly for the finish with no regard at all for the position he was putting himself in. Especially since Nog had the upper hand in that moment. The whole turn of events was actually very uncharacteristic of Nog's BJJ style. He's generally much more methodical when he's currently winning.

Last edited:
Mir vs Werdum
Mir vs Gonzaga
Werdum vs Barnett

Those would be very interesting fights when both fighters are not on the decline.

Back