Economy Minimum wage should be $21.72 per hour according to Center for Economic and Policy Re

^ The cpi is bullshit.

The price of everything needs to come down, not continue to rise and the usd needs to regain value.
I have real difficulty taking your position seriously after this statement. Are you arguing that subsidies skew the general status of the CPI versus luxury goods? I'm not even sure what you're trying to say, exactly.

If they bump it up to 21/hr, I'm quitting my stressful job that pays me 21/hr and getting a walmart job.

if your job is so stressful and you only make $21 an hour that sucks bad for you. i bet you think that is some high wage huh?? lol

can always count on ppl just above the poverty line to help shit on the ppl in poverty. rich ppl must love it. zomg $21 an hour, straight baller lifestyle, better hold them min wage ppl down so u can keep earning them big bucks.

A guy who bags groceries isn't expecting to be a CEO. But if he works for a corporation that generates billions in revenue, is it too much to ask for a liveable wage? And yes people who make minimum wage do have families.

yes

It's an individual's job to care for themselves. Burger World isn't in business to pay for your house and car. If your only skill is putting a pickle on the bun you should rent a room.

Australia.

Greatest place on Earth.

Minimum $17 (miles ahead of anything any other nation is offering), great healthcare, dollar just as strong as USD (sometimes stronger), top 10 economy and most liveable country on earth many years in a row.

Makes me sad reading all of the comments from people who say they're struggling. Come here and work. Great place.

Australia.

Greatest place on Earth.

Minimum $17 (miles ahead of anything any other nation is offering), great healthcare, dollar just as strong as USD (sometimes stronger), top 10 economy and most liveable country on earth many years in a row.

Makes me sad reading all of the comments from people who say they're struggling. Come here and work. Great place.

I already have a great job and I would be willing to move to Australia, but I don't want to get killed by spiders / snakes / alligators and all the other animals that run amock in Australia. I might do a secondment there tho.

Australia.

Greatest place on Earth.

You have a smaller population, lots of available land, whether it is arable or not, and you don't just have FIRE as an economy

Australia.

Greatest place on Earth.

not sure what the numbers are, but is austrailia severely over populated with more mouths then jobs? Im guessing not since scary ass nature keeps eating you guys over there.

I don't have much knowledge of the laws regarding unions, but I believe there are certain types of jobs that requires Union Labor only. Again I am not sure, but lets say construction for example. Any large scale public works project must be completed by union laborers (at least in NYC), like the new Yankee Stadium or MetLife Stadium. I think some private construction work is the same thing depending on the scale. I also think the public utilities also have to hire union. If this is true, I am not sure how that relationship evolved or how those laws were passed. Another example is the doormen of NYC. Certain large buildings have to hire union doormen. I do not know how they gained this right.

Now retail, and fast food corporations like Walmart or Wendy's is entirely dependent on the minimum wage worker. The CEO, CFO, and HR cannot be at all the locations at once to flip the burgers, cook the fries and take orders. Clothes, sporting goods, canned foods will not stock themselves. And last I heard, we don't have robot security guards (ala Elysium) yet, so I doubt you can trust the customers to check themselves out and pay unless there is actually workers in the stores. I know I wouldn't LOLZ.

Are these minimum wage workers unionized? If not, why not? Unionize, and but pull whatever strings are needed so they have exclusive rights for all the kind of minimum wage work done for these kinds of big box, and national fast food chains. Sure maybe the companies will raise their prices, if they have to pay these union workers more, but lets see how long they can sustain that. Eventually, if they want to beat out competitors, they will have to price compete with each other. Either they lower their prices to be competitive even with higher wages, or they go out of business.

I already have a great job and I would be willing to move to Australia, but I don't want to get killed by spiders / snakes / alligators and all the other animals that run amock in Australia. I might do a secondment there tho.

not sure what the numbers are, but is austrailia severely over populated with more mouths then jobs? Im guessing not since scary ass nature keeps eating you guys over there.

I think our unemployment rate is currently around 5% which isn't that bad considering its close to NAIRU.

Oh and if you live in (awesome) Sydney you won't actually be coming into contact with much spiders and certainly no snakes or alligators (unless you come to our zoos). We just exaggerate on how scary the country is so more people don't come.

Probably because there are people who work MW and have families. Obviously not all, but do you really want those who are on it to suffer?

Yes

No Alligators in Australia but all the aussies making out how great it is for us well it actually isn't all roses.

Our revenue base is currently shrinking with our population ageing. We need to reform our tax system. Our economy is also heavily reliant to Iron Ore prices adding to to that revenue base so if China goes off the boil, then our budget is fucked:

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2014/03/why-major-budget-reform-is-needed-to-avert-crisis/

No Alligators in Australia but all the aussies making out how great it is for us well it actually isn't all roses.

Our revenue base is currently shrinking with our population ageing. We need to reform our tax system. Our economy is also heavily reliant to Iron Ore prices adding to to that revenue base so if China goes off the boil, then our budget is fucked:

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2014/03/why-major-budget-reform-is-needed-to-avert-crisis/

Interesting, ı'll take a look. Germany faces some of the Same problems, demographic changes have been Talked about for a while Now in the Media and politics

yes

It's an individual's job to care for themselves. Burger World isn't in business to pay for your house and car. If your only skill is putting a pickle on the bun you should rent a room.

Who said anything about a house and car? I said a liveable wage. Burger world thrives off the American market, generates billions, but then turns around and pays its workers $8 an hour. There is a problem there. And it's not just Burger World. Most service based corporations are doing the same thing. All of our manufacturing industry is gone. All the US has is it's service industry. So how are we supposed to thrive if the service industry is allowed to pay the public peanuts?

Didn't watch but no...

Inflation needs to go down.

Great Point. Its interesting how many people don't question the problem of inflation and falsely believe the answer to the skyrocketing prices is to accommodate the problem by raising wages.

if your job is so stressful and you only make $21 an hour that sucks bad for you. i bet you think that is some high wage huh?? lol

can always count on ppl just above the poverty line to help shit on the ppl in poverty. rich ppl must love it. zomg $21 an hour, straight baller lifestyle, better hold them min wage ppl down so u can keep earning them big bucks.

This guy clearly does not make $21/hr

why is it that liberals think that people on minimum wage are people with a family to support?

minimum wage are for people that bag groceries, flip burgers and ask if you want fries with that. not for engineers, managers, etc. etc.

liberals need to understand there are different levels of people, not everyone can be a CEO. by increasing minimum wage all you're doing is increasing the prices that a business will charge to cover their cost of operation, therefore by increasing wages for workers you're also increasing the prices for goods that said worker is purchasing.

I think too many people have been brainwashed by American Capitalism but for some reason all this trickle down economics is not trickling down like it should. This is why the rich are increasing their percentage of the overall wealth and the minions are taking it like champs. I'm all for people working hard and making a great living but not at the expense of the vast majority.

Please dont think that i am against capitalism as it is the best system overall but even capitalism needs checks/balances. If capitalism was perfect that just one segment of the population wouldnt control so much wealth and also keeps increasing its share of the wealth. Something is definately wrong and im all for people having more.

Last edited:
Being against paying menial service industry scrubs a wage they can actually live on by working full time is totally fine if the economy exists for these people to find better jobs doing harder work. The simple fact is these jobs used to exist, how many people here have a grand parent that built his(yes his) family on a manufacturing job that paid well enough for him to do it? I'm willing to bet it's a lot of you.

Being against paying what amounts to the majority of the jobs in the economy a wage that can be lived on means you are pro welfare, food stamps, and other bullshit that does nothing but subsidize corporate profits while helping justify a budget - and tax system - none of us can honestly support.

If you are willing to work full time I should not have to subsidize your food, housing, and pay. The fact is what we pay the working poor is insane. I hate welfare, I hate it with a fucking passion. I hate section 8. I hate food stamps. I hate every non working shitbird in this country on these programs. Sterilize and kill with fire hate them. The fact that there are people working 40 hours a week who honestly do need these programs to survive I hate even more, it has to end. We cannot pay honest workers so little and expect anything great from our country.

"Fuck that guy, he only knows how to put a pickle on a bun." That guy is part of one of the most profitable businesses in the world. Why shouldn't he get paid? He might actually get the pickles where they god damned belong next time if you pay him right.

the govt should interfere with the labor market. it's called capitalism. boy, i miss the days when children worked 50 hrs a week for 1/2 the wage of an adult.

Back