***Minimalism***

Anyone embrace this lifestyle and philosophy? The pandemic really got me to think more about this topic, and it coincided with me seeing these documentaries on Netflix. I mentioned in my other thread about upcyling that I clear out a whole buch of stuff from my house. I was never a hoarder nor obsessed about things, however I had a lot of stuff that I didn't need.

It's been real cathartic to declutter and be more intentional about consuming things.

DSC05252_blogpost-1024x683.jpeg

I watched that documentary on Netflix.

Cleared out a bunch of stuff from my closet not long after.

Those guys are pretty extreme, but it's definitely an interesting concept.

I'm actually quite the minimalist. These guys are dumb.

Some young youtube nerd did a good piece on them.

yeah those two dudes can be viewed as "different" and i can see how some might make them into prophets

i started feeling minimalism organically, and then watched these docs afterwards, so it for me it was something to relate but not necessarily predicate my actions

yeah those two dudes can be viewed as "different" and i can see how some might make them into prophets

i started feeling minimalism organically, and then watched these docs afterwards, so it for me it was something to relate but not necessarily predicate my actions
More important: They don't actually say much. It's all weird pontification. Minimalism is great for a lot of people and we've all known that. They just keep writing and saying the same damn things over and over again.

More important: They don't actually say much. It's all weird pontification. Minimalism is great for a lot of people and we've all known that. They just keep writing and saying the same damn things over and over again.
i could see how some people can take that away

i won't disagree

a lot of self help, money gurus, life coaches etc do the same

to some people it's repetitive bullshit, some people learn from repetition

Conscious spending is a byproduct of me trying to be more fiscally responsible. I wouldn’t say I’m a minimalist, but I don’t own that much either.

@wlu.29 is your fam on board with the minimalist way of life too?

No, I embrace maximism to an extreme. Sometimes the things I own definitely end up owning me.

It is a lot of work to maintain several houses, boats, race cars, jet skis, etc.

Im all for it, but in moderation as with everything.

I spend very little on my day to day living, i have a small list of goals/tasks that i give my time and attention to. Thats freedom of time, financial freedom, ease of mind.

As for enjoying life, theres lots of things you can enjoy without extravagance or consumerism. But a few times a year i can get to travel and splurge all i've saved up that more than makes up for it.

Conscious spending is a byproduct of me trying to be more fiscally responsible. I wouldn’t say I’m a minimalist, but I don’t own that much either.

@wlu.29 is your fam on board with the minimalist way of life too?

for the most part, my wife is on board with de cluttering and getting rid of stuff we don't use (90% of it at least)

my kids are similar too, they're down with getting rid of toys they don't play with anymore

in this pandemic they love just hanging out in their pajamas all the time, i forced them to get change, otherwise they would wear the same things days on end

I’m forced to live in a somewhat minimalistic way. If I had a bed in my room, I would have no space to move around. I decided I preferred the free space, so I just sleep on the floor. I don’t have room for a table or any furniture either. If I want to use a table, I use a foldable camping table that is currently shoved behind the wardrobe. If I want to sit down, I grab a chair that I have stacked on top of the dog cage.

for the most part, my wife is on board with de cluttering and getting rid of stuff we don't use (90% of it at least)

my kids are similar too, they're down with getting rid of toys they don't play with anymore

in this pandemic they love just hanging out in their pajamas all the time, i forced them to get change, otherwise they would wear the same things days on end

They’ve fully embraced the minimalist lifestyle. You’re sending mixed messages

the living room i'm posting from is full of un-needed shit and we love it
sala.jpg
and it's not even over, white wall on the left is about to get bunch of small paintings lol

I don't think there's a universal correct answer, for how i see it only important thing is your home give you good vibes

the living room i'm posting from is full of un-needed shit and we love it
View attachment 857516
and it's not even over, white wall on the left is about to get bunch of small paintings lol

I don't think there's a universal correct answer, for how i see it only important thing is your home give you good vibes
If it makes you happy then keep it, I think the message is more don't obsess over acquiring more and more just for the sake of it

It's most certainly a noble way to approach life. I applaud anybody who can live content on as little as possible.

immediately heard "minimalism.. abstraaact expressionism- POST MODERNISM!"

Live like a pleb? No thanks.

Seriously though. This aspect of consumerism isn’t anything new. It really took off after the Second World War. Gary across, Thomas Hine, Kevin Starr, Lizabeth Cohen and many other historians have written about it. Post War America entered into this cycle where buying goods was meant to restore the family. We’ve clearly moved away from that, where buying everything and anything is just the way of life. It makes things less complicated. And living simplistically is fine and dandy but not logical.

Says it's not new, then says it's only a hundred years old. Humans have been around for a hundred thousand years, something that came about in the last hundred years is new for humanity and the planet.

And how is it not logical? Endlessly and mindlessly consuming the Earth's resources without end is logical?

Everything I own aside from my project vehicle can fit in the back of my Jeep. Hell, I may not even need anythng that big anymore.

Back